Anderson Silverline

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JaxSAH

Anderson Silverline

#1 Post by JaxSAH »

I'm a divorced 57 year old woman. I'm going to retire in 5 years, so I am doing some things around the home (new heat pump, new fence, replace rotted siding, etc.) before I retire to a lower income level. I thought I would replace the windows in my 1986 built home. I can only afford to spend no more than $4000, but it would be better to keep it lower.

I got an estimate from a local company in northern Florida. I contacted this company because a colleague recommended them. They deal with Anderson Silverline windows. The quote I got (including installation) is $2500 for 8 windows. This I could comfortably afford.

Everything I've read on the internet says this is a low quality window. I don't need a window that is going to last 20 years because, frankly, I'm not convinced I'll live that long. So is it just a waste of my money to even consider this brand? As I stated, I just cannot afford to spend a lot of money for windows. I just thought I would get a more energy efficient window before I retire.

Is it better to not even replace my windows? (I think they are aluminum.) I have two bedrooms that face west, and they are at least 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house in the summer.

TLHWINDOWS

Re: Anderson Silverline

#2 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Jax,

I sell in the N. Florida market. If you need help or have any questions, I will be more than happy to help.

I am a dealer for Gorell, PGT and even SilverLine and a few other brands so I am familiar with all of them.

Edit, and no you don't have to "find" me or call me or anything, just post and I will answer any questions.
Last edited by TLHWINDOWS on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

JaxSAH

#3 Post by JaxSAH »

TLHWINDOWS wrote:Jax,

I sell in the N. Florida market. If you need help or have any questions, I will be more than happy to help.

I am a dealer for Gorell, PGT and even SilverLine and a few other brands so I am familiar with all of them.

Edit, and no you don't have to "find" me or call me or anything, just post and I will answer any questions.
I don't know how I got a double post.

So TLH, why am I reading negative things about Silverline? I want a decent window that will be more energy efficient. Right now I have some windows that have the fogging from a broken seal, I have a window that is difficult to raise, and one that will not stay open without propping it up. I also have two bedrooms that are extremely hot since they get the full effect from the afternoon sun. I can afford the Silverline windows, but I need them to last 10-15 years. I'm not convinced that there is good/bad vinyl.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

usually you replace windows to get better energy savings.
Better windows like Gorrell have better performance, durability and service.
Silverline does not make a premium window. Maybe the 8500 with the right options.

TLHWINDOWS

#5 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

IF you are going to stay with SilverLine, I'd actually go with a 9500.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 9500 is a pretty solid product.

That being said, I am a bit suspect of a company that produces such a wide quality variance.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Definitely avoid their 1200 series, most of the storm windows I install cost me more than these. Usually the 9500 series cost very little extra over the 8500 and sometimes is cheaper. A little surpised to see WOW's kind words toward the 9500's. I don't have a problem with Silverline's as long as they are priced right but I prefer to use other brands in that price range.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd have to agree with Todd, (although I would not consider WoW's comments to be an endorsement by any means) but, once you get into an "acceptable" level of Silverline product, you can probably get a more reputable product in the same range... It is quite possible, however, that the Fla market is a different beast, so I would again defer to TLH on this one...

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:Definitely avoid their 1200 series, most of the storm windows I install cost me more than these. Usually the 9500 series cost very little extra over the 8500 and sometimes is cheaper. A little surpised to see WOW's kind words toward the 9500's. I don't have a problem with Silverline's as long as they are priced right but I prefer to use other brands in that price range.
Don't be surprised. I have never universally condemned the Silverline window line, however, I think the lower offerings are in the Pella Thermastar range of quality.

The 9500 is a solidly built product but is still not in the premium range by any stretch. Solid window though.

TLHWINDOWS

#10 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

One of the biggest issue with SilverLine is installation. Beyond cost, SL's windows can be tricky to install, one screw out of place and you might as well put a screen in the opening. Installers tend to be "slap dashy" and that causes problems. Once installed correctly they will last a good long time.

Pricing is dependent on the seller so it can be hard to determine quality just based on sales price.

Installation, installation, installation!

ranger

#11 Post by ranger »

I've seen the 9500 and it still looks and feels cheap to me. I could never recommend anything by silver line due to all the complaints about air leakage and warpage. The vinyl they use is of the lowest grade and adding some bells and whistles to the 9500 does nothing to obscure the hidden negatives.
If I were on a budget, I would buy quality but purchase in stages by prioritizing which windows need the most attention. Stay away from Andersen silver line. Pella vinyl is just as bad.
I always recommend the quality brands such as Okna, gorell, Polaris ultra, soft lite and sunrise. However, gorell may be the only brand available in your area and they make a solid product.
If you opt for a low cost window, you will ne spending more than doxublw replacing them in a few years. I can almost guarantee that. Silver line is made for rental properties and it also looks cheap. Don't want them in your home !

TLHWINDOWS

#12 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

ranger wrote:I've seen the 9500 and it still looks and feels cheap to me. I could never recommend anything by silver line due to all the complaints about air leakage and warpage. The vinyl they use is of the lowest grade and adding some bells and whistles to the 9500 does nothing to obscure the hidden negatives.
If I were on a budget, I would buy quality but purchase in stages by prioritizing which windows need the most attention. Stay away from Andersen silver line. Pella vinyl is just as bad.
I always recommend the quality brands such as Okna, gorell, Polaris ultra, soft lite and sunrise. However, gorell may be the only brand available in your area and they make a solid product.
If you opt for a low cost window, you will ne spending more than doxublw replacing them in a few years. I can almost guarantee that. Silver line is made for rental properties and it also looks cheap. Don't want them in your home !
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I have homes over 10 years old that have the 8500 and 9500's in them and they don't have any problems with air leakage and warping. Heck I have an 8500 in living room that is 8 Years old and even when storms roll through it won't fliker a candle.

Again, I like other windows better, but windows are %50 installation, I can install a high end Gorell, but if I twist the frame or don't install it square it will leak all over the place.

Are there better windows? Yes.
Should you pay more for a SilverLine? No.
Can I personally put a person in a better window for less than a SL? Yes.

I've put Gorell's in a rental house, so does that make them a rental house window?

ranger

#13 Post by ranger »

You've never had any problems with a silver line? How many customers have drafty silver line or warped silver line windows that never complain because they assumed from the get go that they were cheap and it's expected?
I've installed high end windows in rental properties because the owners demanded it. I guess they didn't want their renters children to be cold in the winter. However, most rental units and condo units that want cheap materials go with silver line..good install or not, it's a low grade window.

TLHWINDOWS

#14 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

The only problem I've had in 10 years with any SilverLine window (that I have installed), is the balancers had to be adjusted because they were slipping due to a heavy sash. That is any easy fix done with a special screw that they supply. That is very rare too.

Opinions run deep. I will neither smash SilverLine (or Pella or a few others) or put them on a pedastal. I will warn buyers to evaluate different window options and make sure that they are not overpaying (for their area) on any window and to make sure that they are comparing as best as possible apples to apples on windows.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#15 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Sorry to go off topic, but is anyone else having the page on this site show up way to the right on their computer screen?