Water in wells of new replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bleen68

Water in wells of new replacement windows

#1 Post by bleen68 »

We recently replaced all of our windows with vinyl replacements. When it rains, which it doesn't do much here, the rain runs down the outside of the windows and seeps into the wells inside the house where the windows slide when opened. The company who put them in says that is normal. Is it? Should there be some sort of rubber or other seal that allows the windows to slide but keeps the water on the outside of the house? The water evaporates eventually but I worry a little bit about winter when it might freeze and cause some damage.

randy

Re: Water in wells of new replacement windows

#2 Post by randy »

It is common on sliders, unfortunately. In some cases, poor installation can exacerbate the problem, but typically it's not a huge deal. It's one of the problems with slider windows in general.

This is one reason why the pros here warn homeowners against purchasing hung windows with pocket sills.

utoo

#3 Post by utoo »

Out here we have over 40" of rain and no problems. Normal unless the water does not drain back out thru the system designed into the window. Not normal if it fills up the track and overflows to the inside sill/stool.

Does anyone know of a sliding window that does not use the track system?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

As randy mentioned, that is just how sliders are designed.... utoo is also correct though, that you should not have water pooling substantially. I've seen many bone-head installers caulk over the weep-holes giving the water no where to go. A stuck weep cover or other junk accumulated in the passage could effect drainage as well. Generally, you really shouldn't see any water inside the house. A picture would be helpful if you can post one.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:As randy mentioned, that is just how sliders are designed.... utoo is also correct though, that you should not have water pooling substantially. I've seen many bone-head installers caulk over the weep-holes giving the water no where to go. A stuck weep cover or other junk accumulated in the passage could effect drainage as well. Generally, you really shouldn't see any water inside the house. A picture would be helpful if you can post one.
The last couple of homes I was at they were installed upside down (picture windows).

I have also seen them capped over as well.

Nothing short of amazing.
Last edited by Windows on Washington on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:As randy mentioned, that is just how sliders are designed.... utoo is also correct though, that you should not have water pooling substantially. I've seen many bone-head installers caulk over the weep-holes giving the water no where to go. A stuck weep cover or other junk accumulated in the passage could effect drainage as well. Generally, you really shouldn't see any water inside the house. A picture would be helpful if you can post one.
The last couple of homes I was at they were installed upside down (picture windows).

I have also seen them capped over as well.

Eric
I've seen them upside down AND inside out! :lol: .... That one was a couple years ago, and the client had them installed by a "guy" from craigslist... The worst part is, this was a pricey home in an upscale suburb of Milwaukee and they paid a premium for this "expert" installation. :(

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

So the bottom line is:
Check and make sure the weeps are not obstructed.
It is ok to see water in the tracks.
It is not ok if water back washes over the track to the inside of the house.

LoneStarGuy

#8 Post by LoneStarGuy »

We had a very, very heavy downpour today with 40 mph wind blowing the rain directly onto a big vinyl 72x60 slider. Our yard got quite flooded. I noticed the inside track got about 1/2 full of water and when the rain subsided it drained quickly. I am going to go out out and check if the weep hole covers are unobstructed. I noticed that outside the opening panel there are two small 1/4 holes were all of the water has to drain. Both are near the center rail, one is below the screen, the other right next to the operating portion. In between them is a "rail" about 1/4 tall the width of the opening that helps separate the screen from the operating panel. Under the operating panel is a removable track. Inside it are two very tiny holes to allow the inside track to drain to toward the outside.
I am not sure how water is getting into the inside track, not sure if it is backing up from inside the track or getting past the weatherstripping along the bottom of the operating panel when the outside track fills.

I was wondering if secondary holes on the edge of the operating panel would be a bad idea? It seems like it would help drain this area but I worry I would create a faster path for air infiltration.

Update from 9:18pm CST: I just got outside the window and noticed one weep hole cover was blocked by caulk and was a bit bent. I put a new one in. The other one was fine. I will wait for the next storm to see how improved it is. I also cleaned out the track inside and saw a number of bugs and dust so I cleaned it out.

Guy

#9 Post by Guy »

LoneStar all I can do is agree with my brothers here. I have also seen them installed in every other way other than what their suppose to be. I’ve also pulled my hair out trying to see why they are pooling under the active sash. My favorite repair tool is a wire coat hanger and a gallon water bottle. I remove the operating sash, lower track, and screen. This exposes the upper drain holes that feed the water out of the sill pocket to the exterior weeping holes. First thing I do is fill my water bottle up and grab some towels just in case. I start feeding the water slowly in the sill pocket and watch the flow. Pour in the middle of the opening to make sure water flows to both sides. If it’s only flowing one way you need to have that window leveled out. If it’s running evenly check the flow from inside to outside. You should be able to pour water pretty quickly without a back wash. I then take my coat hanger and push it in from the outside weep holes. I push through and sweep as much area as possible. You’ll feel any obstruction easily. If there’s stuff in there try pulling it out with the hanger or wash it out. There should be nothing blocking the holes outside. If you poor the water in and it seems to build up with slow flow outside I’ve made the inside holes bigger. Sometimes they seem to be to small to drain properly. I’ll drill them from quarter inch to three eighths. The water should drain way faster after making them a bit bigger. Another culprit is Sheetrock dust. During construction of the home the windows are opened to vent. During the sanding process the dust will lye on the track and get washed under it with rainfall. Especially when sanding above an open unit. That rock dust washes into the drain holes and dries. You’ll need to wipe the pocket out and wash all the debris out each hole. Water should never splash back in the house if the weeping system is working properly. Don’t hesitate to look at other windows your not having issues with. You may see what’s going wrong from one to the other.
Good Luck!!!

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Full screens on sliders will slow down or limit the amount of rain that can enter the pocket sills during down pours.