Alarm contacts on Schuco sliders....

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
chrisexv6

Alarm contacts on Schuco sliders....

#1 Post by chrisexv6 »

I asked this a long time ago, then decided an alarm wasnt necessary.......but now back to thinking about installing one.

My house is a mix of casements and sliders, all Schuco. I figured Id ask here if anyone has any suggestions on where to put the contacts for both the sliders and the casements.

Further complicating it is the fact that the sliders are ventable.......it would be nice to be able to vent the windows and still have them alarmed during sleep mode. Its not a necessity though.

I notice the sliders have an awful lot of metal framing around the sashes.......wasnt sure if that would effect the contacts since the sash portion would be a magnet. I also wasnt sure what portion of the window frame could be drilled easily for the transmitter/button portion of a window sensor.

I suppose the casements might be similar....drill thru the frame for the button and find a location for the magnet.

Im going to DIY the install, mostly because its hard around here to find a good installer thats actually willing to come out and do the job. Seems projects like these might be too small, not enough profit, etc.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Windows on Washington

Re: Alarm contacts on Schuco sliders....

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am guessing you are referring to wireless contractors?

Most folks opt for a 2-sided tape.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The sliders you would need to put in the top track. If you want a vent position you just apply another magnet 3 " from the closed position.

Are you using wireless or wired?

chrisexv6

#4 Post by chrisexv6 »

I would prefer wired, as I think they are more reliable. However if I had to come from the top of the window it would be a lot harder to fish the wires through, I was assuming I could use the bottom track somehow and just drop them down into the basement ceiling. If that is not the case, then I would have to go with wireless.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Are there sash stops up the two site and across the top?
If so you can hide the wires there. I do not think the botttom will work.
You can go thru the side with wired, but you will not be able to do the open position magnet unless you go thru the top.