Hello....I could use some window help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bowmanhunter

Hello....I could use some window help

#1 Post by bowmanhunter »

First off, great forum. I have read for 3 days straight before registering. TONS of useful information and opinions.

I live in NW Ohio and have the old single pane Anderson windows w/the storm windows outside of those.I am looking to replace 15 windows with the largest of those being 40"w x 64"t.One of the biggest problems I am having is just finding a contractor. Seems they are all real busy or just don't call back.

The only quote I have gotten thus far is $495.00 per opening on a Polaris Ultraweld. The install seems pretty straight forward, just installing the new and wrapping the window parts outside with aluminum.Cape cod style house with all but 5 windows easily accessible from the ground.Once windows are installed I am going to do the siding.

Also, I did get a hold of another company today that sells Sunrise. They are suppose to be coming out sometime next week.

Can anyone give me some insight on if thats a fair price or not? I know it's against forum rules to offer advice on local contractors from reading.But I surely wished I lived closer to some of you(lol)

To be honest my budget was $400-425 max.

Thanks alot:)

Windows on Washington

Re: Hello....I could use some window help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a very good price on that UltraWeld window.

The Polaris window (especially the the UltraWeld) is one of the really good windows out there (i.e. top 5 in the vinyl market) and is completely overbuilt.

I would try to combine the siding and window together if at all possible to eliminate the duplication of capping/trim work.

You wouldn't find a better price on a window of that caliber in my market.

bowmanhunter

#3 Post by bowmanhunter »

Windows on Washington wrote:That is a very good price on that UltraWeld window.

The Polaris window (especially the the UltraWeld) is one of the really good windows out there (i.e. top 5 in the vinyl market) and is completely overbuilt.

I would try to combine the siding and window together if at all possible to eliminate the duplication of capping/trim work.

You wouldn't find a better price on a window of that caliber in my market.
Thanks! I somehow knew you'd answer and greatly appreciate it :)

I'm going to try to do the siding and windows together. But everything costs alot more than expected. I just got the roof finished 2 weeks ago. But the contractor stated he could have the windows completely done for the siding if I have to wait till the spring.

Should I even bother with the Sunrise quote? Or are the Polaris far better for the cost?I'll live in this home till I die.

Thanks again.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

It can't hurt to get a second quote for a comparative.

Each window will have its own aesthetics and advantages.

bowmanhunter

#5 Post by bowmanhunter »

soft-lite quoted $700.00 an opening.Yikes :shock:

Still waiting on Sunrise, they measured but I won't get price till Tuesday

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

bowmanhunter wrote:soft-lite quoted $700.00 an opening.Yikes :shock:

Still waiting on Sunrise, they measured but I won't get price till Tuesday
What window?

Regardless of window, there is no way that the Soft-Lite is worth $200+ more than the UltraWeld as it stands now. The UltraWeld is a very good product and stands up nicely alongside any of the Soft-Lite offerings.

bowmanhunter

#7 Post by bowmanhunter »

On the Sunrise they came in at $7886.00 PLUS the aluminum on the outside of window.This is the Low-E model which is the starter grade?

They claim this window is far better than the Polaris Ultra-Weld??

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

bowmanhunter wrote:On the Sunrise they came in at $7886.00 PLUS the aluminum on the outside of window.This is the Low-E model which is the starter grade?

They claim this window is far better than the Polaris Ultra-Weld??

"They" would be mistaken in this case.

What model Sunrise window? Regardless, the UltraWeld is as good, if not better depending on the quoted Sunrise model, window.

If they quoted you the Essentials, there is not comparison. The UltraWeld is the better window.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

You've been quoted on 3 very good options, so take a close look at the company that you are dealing with in addition to the price. It is impossible to say what the price "should" be for a million reasons, but I'd agree with WoW's assessment so far. All 3 windows are fairly even overall and each will have their pros and cons. $700 per window is not out of the realm of what's reasonable, but may be on the higher side if you don't have many options. $495 for the Ultraweld is an excellent deal, buuuut, make sure that you are dealing with a reputable company that is going to do a top-notch install. A $700 window installed to perfection is a better value than the $500 window installed out of square, leaking air, and with a poor wrap/caulk job... I'm not saying that is the case by any means, just pointing out that the installation side is at least as important as the product choice and price.... If in fact, all things are equal, then just pick the one of the three that you get the best deal on. :D

bowmanhunter

#10 Post by bowmanhunter »

thank you I appreciate the help.

I agree from what I have read how important installation is. I am going to check references on the Polaris installer and head from there.Thanks again guys I am grateful:)

bowmanhunter

#11 Post by bowmanhunter »

which glass is good to get?I am alittle confused on the options. Low-E on the outside glass or inside,etc? Again I am in Ohio thanks:)

ranger

#12 Post by ranger »

LowE is on the inner part of the outer glass known as surface 2 .

bowmanhunter

#13 Post by bowmanhunter »

ranger wrote:LowE is on the inner part of the outer glass known as surface 2 .
on the energySMART supreme it's on glass #3, on the energySMART Supreme 2 it's on glass #2.sorry alittle confused.There are 4 different options for the double-panes.

It's my fault I just assumed the Ultra-Weld windows were Polaris' top of the line unit with all the best options.I didn't know the Ultra-Weld was a top window with glass options.(lol)never assume I guess:)

bowmanhunter

#14 Post by bowmanhunter »

Kinda funny how it all works out.

I ended up going with the Sunrise Restorations.

I called one more dealer and it all seemed to work better.They explained the differences in the quality of windows,etc and also showed me samples and other install pics. I also liked the Sunrise warranty but I guess what really sold me was I knew the installer was top notch.

Thanks again for all your help. It's pretty great that you folks take the time to help people out on this forum. And I for one am extremely grateful for all your help :D

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

The Restorations is a top tier choice, I'm confident that you'll be happy with that product for years to come. Unfortunately, this industry puts used car salesmen to shame when it comes to shady tactics, so I'm glad that you were able to utilize the sight to make a great choice. :D