Repair or replace?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Sweet Lew

Repair or replace?

#1 Post by Sweet Lew »

Greetings All!

I have a dilemma. I moved into my house 2.5 years ago. During this time, there were two window air conditioners that were permanently installed (wood boards screwed into the window, caulked, etc) and were in the windows for almost 10 years (previous owners installed them). Due to water leakage this year, I had them removed. Once removed, it looked like the bottom sashes of both windows were beat to hell from all the caulk + getting them out needed some force.

The windows in question are 1997 Andersen 400 series Tilt 'n' Wash. I had a contractor come out that has done repairs for me on my Andersen casements and said I will need new bottom sashes and a few other small items (Replace lock on one, jams on another). Depending on the price, and I know Andersen parts can be pricey, do I repair them or replace them with Okna 800 series double hungs if the price to repair them is the same or close to the price of replacing them with new vinyl replacements?

Windows on Washington

Re: Repair or replace?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If it were me, if the repairs approach 35-40% of the replacements, I would definitely opt for the new replacements.

Sweet Lew

#3 Post by Sweet Lew »

Thanks for the reply.

Are the 400 series any good? I've read mixed reviews and it seems Andersens are somewhat regarded as sub par windows no matter what the level. :?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sweet Lew wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Are the 400 series any good? I've read mixed reviews and it seems Andersens are somewhat regarded as sub par windows no matter what the level. :?
400 is a pretty solid window.

Sweet Lew

#5 Post by Sweet Lew »

Good to know. I had a mish\mash of windows in this house. I just replaced 7 rotted out Kolbe\Kolbe casements with Okna casements. But I'll probably go with your advice depending on what the repair costs are.

Cheers,

Lew

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I would not say that the 400 is sub-par by any stretch, that being said, I'd much rather have the Okna 800. If you already have some installed, I would put any and all funds toward "finishing the job" with the Oknas.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:I would not say that the 400 is sub-par by any stretch, that being said, I'd much rather have the Okna 800. If you already have some installed, I would put any and all funds toward "finishing the job" with the Oknas.
+1

I didn't know you already had the Okna casements. Why not finish out with them?

Sweet Lew

#8 Post by Sweet Lew »

I want to eventually replace the older Andersens (installed in 1991) with Okna, but I have other projects that need to be done, like replacing my galvanized plumbing with copper. :roll: If the repairs are considerably less than new windows, I will probably repair them.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The next question might be do you do a full tearout/fullframe replacement or just an insert replacement.
If the existing frames are in good shape, check the sills carefully, then an insert approach is OK.
The best approach but most expensive is the full tearout/full frame replacement.
Some of the advantages are that you start from the RO and can foam/insulate between the studs and window. Also you will maintain glass dimension. Some might say that new trim on the interior is a benefit as well.

Sweet Lew

#10 Post by Sweet Lew »

I think all that is needed is the bottom sash for both, a lock on one, and jamb liners on another. Otherwise, he said everything else was fine.

If I went with OKNA replacements, I would be using Dave (Windows4U) and his approach is removing the old window and inspecting the existing frame to see if it is OK or if it needs to be replaced.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You have one of the best in our industry with Windows4U.
I shall say no more.