Excalibur vs. Preservation by Alside

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Excalibur vs. Preservation by Alside

#16 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Unfortunatly, it's very unlikely that after 2 1/2 years he will post back regarding the installation. You would be well advised to do some research on different windows before making any decisions.

vfleming

#17 Post by vfleming »

EcoStar Remodeling= Unfortunatly, it's very unlikely that after 2 1/2 years he will post back regarding the installation. You would be well advised to do some research on different windows before making any decisions.
Has it been 2.5 years already? Time flies! Luckily I get emails when this topic gets replied to so here I am :)
hwax wrote:You never posted a follow-up on the installation...how did it go and are you still happy with your choice?
hwax, thank you for calling me out on this. You're right I never did. Well here we go.

The install:
The installers came and installed the windows in a day and a half. They did make good time. The main installer was professional and knew what he was doing. The other guy was more of a "helper" and was not as skilled as the main installer. Of course this is expected as the helper is in a learning role to be a future installer.

The only issue I had is that the installers were not told that I requested window sealing foam to be used in place of glass fiber sheets. I ended up running to home Depot and got it for them so they could keep working. This was a cheap purchase so I was not worried about it.

Also on the install, the installer doesn't use the foam often so if you go with it then double check their work before they cover the windows up to make sure there is no holes.

So over all the install went fine and I was happy with it.

The windows since install:
We have been happy with our windows. We live in SE Indiana so summer get into the 90's with high humidity and winters are in the 30's maybe colder at times but 30's are normal.

They seem to do the job well.

We found one window that was missing the small insert that lets water out of the outside of the window but keep airflow out as well. We called Alside and they sent me a handful of them no questions asked. I popped it in and it is working great.

Notes:
I went the extra mile when doing the paperwork and I would always suggest doing the same. Though they told me when signing the paperwork that she would give us lifetime glass repair I did not see it on the contract. I had her write it in the notes. We also went with the LowE in all glass. This way they were good for the tax rebate. I would suggest the LowE at all times. It is cheap enough and is well worth it.

To have written in notes section with anyone you go through:
  • Lifetime glass breakage repair through Ferguson
  • Lifetime service and parts service through Ferguson
Install notes no matter who you go through:
  • Watch them work, they might not like it but my installers had no issue with it, we just chatted. Your money, your job to make sure it is done right
  • Double check window fitting and make sure they fit tight with no gaps
It might sound if I'm a pain in the *** but when you are doing a 6K job in my house I want to know it is done right. If the company is a good one they will not care that you hang out and verify.

So over all:
We are happy with what we got and how they were installed. When we get the basement windows done we will use this company again. I hope this helps someone.

sberbe: I would review with your rep to check the U values on both these windows.
I do not believe that the excalibur will meet the new energy star requirements listed in the 2009 stimulus package.
You could be missing out on 1500 in tax credits.

Take a look at the Bainbridge window from softlite. It compares very favorably in price and styling with the excalibur, but also meets or exceeds energy start requirements.

S
I confirmed they do with the LowE and we did get the credit.

advanced_energy: i don't sell Preservation but would feel very comfortable doing so.
I would have went with them but they were a lot more. Not worth it to me but if I lived in a harsher weather place I would recommend it.
whaas: Looks like you got an average deal...at least based on what I've seen in the Milwaukee area.

I've been looking into replacement windows for about a year now since I need 18 windows and plan to stay in my home for as many years as I can.

Originally Excaliber was on my list but I found that the Excaliber is more for apartments and income properties. Their frames are not good enough to withstand temp. changes in WI.

Additonal research pointed me to the Alside Sheffield (step up from Excaliber), then even more research pointing me to the Preservation (step up from Sheffield).

If you really could have gotten Preservation around the same price as Excaliber, shame on the sales people for not explaining the upgrade in mechanics.
They were a lot more, Excalaliber is working for us. If pres. were within a couple hundred dollars we would have done it but we are happy with what we got.

EcoStar Remodeling

#18 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Thanks for the update.

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

vfleming wrote:
  • Watch them work, they might not like it but my installers had no issue with it, we just chatted. Your money, your job to make sure it is done right
  • Double check window fitting and make sure they fit tight with no gaps
It might sound if I'm a pain in the *** but when you are doing a 6K job in my house I want to know it is done right. If the company is a good one they will not care that you hang out and verify.
Most installers should be happy to answer questions and accommodate the client checking in and watching the installation.
"Double check window fitting and make sure they fit tight with no gaps", however, is in need of clarification. There should in fact be space around all four sides so that the window can be installed square, as most openings are not. A gap of 1/8-1/4" is common. I'm assuming that your windows did have this gap (otherwise there would have been no gap to fill with foam), I just wanted to point that out so other consumers don't think that their window is mismeasured because it does not fit tightly in the opening. :D