why simonton window glass size so small?

For those self-installers
diyfun

why simonton window glass size so small?

#1 Post by diyfun »

I bought few Simonton 5500 hopper windows (32.25"x14.75") for my basement. I found the window's glass size is about 2" narrow than HomeDepot's basement window (same size). I am a little surprise about this. The glass size is important for basment windows, I think. And also i found its screen can only be taken off from outside. Not convenient.

Windows on Washington

Re: why simonton window glass size so small?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 5500's frame is a bit on the bulky side and this shows most noticeably on smaller windows.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm a big fan of the Sunrise hopper window. Simonton runs a little on the bulky side. If you are coming from a steel hopper window anything is going loose glass because the strength of the frame material, think about it?

I have designed a perfect basement window for you. I call it the "funnel window." The sash tilts outward with the screen inside. When you leave it open, after you take screen out from the inside and it rains, all of the water directs right inside to the basement. :lol:

diyfun

#4 Post by diyfun »

Delaware Mike wrote:I'm a big fan of the Sunrise hopper window. Simonton runs a little on the bulky side. If you are coming from a steel hopper window anything is going loose glass because the strength of the frame material, think about it?
I tried Sunrise. But their sale force is not good enough, I think. I cannot find a place to buy. The dealer contact me want to install for me but I want to install myself.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Like most premium windows, they are not sold for DIYers. They are sold to dealers of the windows whose business is installing windows.

ranger

#6 Post by ranger »

Premium window companies usually have very good warranties and selling to DIYers who 99% of the time do not do the installation properly and wind up thinking the window is defective when in fact it's the installation. This obviously causes a lot of unnecessary service calls and costs window companiest a lot of money. This is why they only want their windows sold through dealers who also do the install.

diyfun

#7 Post by diyfun »

I understand this. I have a contractor with a fair price for installation. But those dealers usually charge much more for the installation.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

In virtually all of my travels to the various supply houses that I frequent to pick up building materials to install my windows and doors, I can't think of any that have basement hopper windows on display so I can imagine how hard it would be for you to shop maximum glass size with a narrow line frame and sash design. You would have to find what manufacturers are available to you and contact the manufacturer directly for dimensions.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

diyfun wrote:I understand this. I have a contractor with a fair price for installation. But those dealers usually charge much more for the installation.
There is generally a reason for that... just sayin'. :wink:
...Even if you have a guy who is a window sub that does great installations on the side(which is never a guarantee) or something along those lines, it is unlikely that he will be able to be found in a few years if you have any problems... I suppose if you know this guy personally, that would be a different story.
The best window manufacturers tend to choose the best window dealers/installation companies to offer their products.

DerbyDad03

#10 Post by DerbyDad03 »

Just an FYI..

As I DIY'er I can order Simonton windows through a local Norandex-Reynolds shop. Granted, I was referred to them by a retired N-R salesman, so maybe that helped.

I was also able to call Simonton Tech Support where the tech emailed me a profile of a window frame as we were talking so I would have a visual of what he was saying. He knew I was a DIY'er and was still very willing to help. Real nice guy!