Okna 400 va Soft-Lite Pro

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
ctg6s

Okna 400 va Soft-Lite Pro

#1 Post by ctg6s »

In Falls Church, VA:

I've received 2 similarly priced quotes from 2 reputable companies, with relatively similar installation services...both are A+ on BBB with 0 to 2 problems and 30 plus years of service.

My only real question is which is a better window: the OKNA 400 or the Soft-Lite Pro?

I keep going back and forth, so any help is appreciated. (my only real comment is that the SLP contractor seemed to think the OKNA was only a north east product and used much in the area)

ranger

Re: Okna 400 va Soft-Lite Pro

#2 Post by ranger »

the slp contractor wants to sell you slp, of course he's going to say that. okna is installed from the caralina's to maine and can be installed in florida or texas if they had dealers in those area's. i prefer the okna 400 . i think it does have a few edges above the slp. better spacer and better performance numbers.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

ranger wrote:the slp contractor wants to sell you slp, of course he's going to say that. okna is installed from the caralina's to maine and can be installed in florida or texas if they had dealers in those area's. i prefer the okna 400 . i think it does have a few edges above the slp. better spacer and better performance numbers.
+1

I don't think that we quoted this project so I don't see any issues with providing some feedback.

The Precision Weld does have a slight performance advantage when compared to the SFP on a couple of levels but both are good windows.

What were the details on the installations?

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

The OKNA 400 does not have a better spacer, however it does have a overall better U-value and air numbers. I would give it (OKNA) an edge and I'm a Soft-Lite dealer. Installation/pricing would be the determining factor

EcoStar Remodeling

#5 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Delaware Mike wrote: Installation/pricing would be the determining factor
+1

Either window would be an excellent choice.

ranger

#6 Post by ranger »

My bad..I did say Okna has a better spacer thinking slp uses intercept. However, slp can use super spacer as an option. I think we can all agree duralite will render better numbers than intercept.

ctg6s

#7 Post by ctg6s »

thanks all. i was waiting for the Soft lite price, and it came in about $450 cheaper.

Assuming nothing is off in the installation (see below) i figured that is what I would go with. thanks again for the input.

All window items noted below are for “Turn Key” installation to manufacturers specifications and shall include all materials, labor and any modifications as needed. Each window shall be custom made down to ¼” to ensure a proper and tight fit. Also included is custom coil wrapping with prefinished aluminum trim coil using quad adhesive and architectural bends around each window to close all gaps around window. Trim coil shall be PVC coated. Color shall match windows.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

It is impossible to tell whether or not you'll get a high quality installation by that description.
Is the spacer in the Softlite upgraded to super spacer? That would be a more apples to apples comparison. If that is the case, either choice would be solid, and the price difference would then be fair game. Have you spent much time investigating the installation companies? Size, reputation, trade group memberships, reviews, etc, etc. Do they use foam or fiberglass to insulate around the window? .... All things to think about, and I would spend extra $$$ (Not to imply that the more expensive guy is necessarily better) to go with the superior installer as the window choices are on par with each other for the most part.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The Softlite Pro uses Superspacer as its standard spacer. The Softlite Classic comes standard with Intercept with Superspacer as an option.

My personal choice from experience with both windows is the Okna 400. All other things even, I would offer the Okna dealer the chance to match the quote if it were me buying them.
My opinion...

ctg6s

#10 Post by ctg6s »

thanks again.

the SLP is using super saver. I'm reaching out to the OKNA installer to get better details on the installation, but I'm starting to change my mind towards the OKNA.

And yes, I have done a lot of research on both companies, e.g. both A+ on BBB with good customer reviews, and not from the website, but independant. Both are using foam filled frames, etc. I guess the reason this post is in window reviews instead of an installer thread is that they both seem very good. Basically, I've removed installation and support from the decision.

This board is incredibly responsive and informative. Thanks.

EcoStar Remodeling

#11 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

ctg6s wrote:thanks again.

This board is incredibly responsive and informative. Thanks.
This board costs money to be here. It isn't free. It is supported by the Pro's that frequent it. You should consider contacting one of the Pro's on here for an estimate. Without your support, this board would cease to exist.