Alside Ultra Max

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Cnote325

Alside Ultra Max

#1 Post by Cnote325 »

I see a lot of negative reviews on the Excaliber, but any opinions on the Alside Ultra Maxx?

Got a quote for 10 Alside Ultra Maxx with ClimaTech Elite windows for $3,800

U factor is 25, Solar heat gain is 28 (i think).

Constant force, fushion welded frames and sashs, full balance covers..anything else to look for?

I got quotes from Lowes (Thermastar 20 series and Weather Master Insulator series as well). Alside price matched me on the Lowes window and has better numbers.

Thanks for all your help.

HomeSealed

Re: Alside Ultra Max

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

You are not going to find much love here for any Alside product, although the UltraMaxx is at the top of their lines. This is one occasion, however, that I cannot say that you should be able to find a better product for the price. In fact, I would strongly suggest some close scrutiny of the install company as that price is just ridiculous... My best advice would be to bump up your budget (or wait until you can) and go for a better product, but if for some reason you can't, you are not going to find a better price---I won't say value, because there is just no way possible that you are not missing out on something (quality install, dependable company, etc) with that price.

ranger

#3 Post by ranger »

Alside windows tend to leak alot of air and the ultra mass uses a pocket sill which is a horrible design. Even if you paid 2k for 10 low quality windows, you are still throwing 2k away.
I would increase my budget or wait until I could. Why waste good money.

Cnote325

#4 Post by Cnote325 »

Thanks for responses. I am also planning on getting the Charter Oak vinyl siding installed. So i am sure the windows are getting marked down and the siding up. Its a package deal.

I am not opposed to increasing budget, but am honestly worn out on all these window companies. Thompson Creek, Lowes, Home Depot, Weather Master and a GC have all been out to give me quotes. I was leaning toward the Ultra Maxx as the General Contractor wasnt a salesman and didnt care which window I buy. He is giving it to me at his cost so all I am paying is his labor.

Alside was also the quickest turn around time. But after reading this forum, I am not as sure as I was before. Is 12 days enough time for a quality, custom window?

Any thoughts on the Weather Master Insulator 8700i? Or other window recommendations for Fallston MD area?

Thanks again.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

The turnaround time is not at all indicative of quality. If he is truly giving you the window at cost, then Okna, Sunrise, Gorell, and Softlite are some of the top choices out there that you should look for... I'd imagine that he is buying through distribution based on your comments, so the Softlite Imperial Pro might be the most widely available. Simonton and Plygem/Great Lakes also sell a lot through distribution and would be decent choices.

Cnote325

#6 Post by Cnote325 »

Thanks again.

Looks like the Alside Sheffield has the sloped sill. Not sure if there are any other differences?

Will now look into the Okna as well. Appreciate the feedback.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Cnote325 wrote:Thanks again.

Looks like the Alside Sheffield has the sloped sill. Not sure if there are any other differences?

Will now look into the Okna as well. Appreciate the feedback.
It's not a true sloped sill. It's a snap-in piece of vinyl that is put in over the side extrusion that they are using as the base for the sill. You lose even more glass than you would lose on a pocket sill. Here is an illustration of the glass loss using that window compared to true sloped sill windows like Sunrise and Okna:

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Borrowed from Dave before....

ranger

#9 Post by ranger »

I'm guessingbthe window on right is a sunrise..I like the way sunrise mitres their sill opposed to that ugly overlap that the Sheffield utilizes. Polaris ultra weld do their sill wall the same as the sunrise.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

ranger wrote:I'm guessingbthe window on right is a sunrise..I like the way sunrise mitres their sill opposed to that ugly overlap that the Sheffield utilizes. Polaris ultra weld do their sill wall the same as the sunrise.
If by "right" you actually mean left............. :lol: .... Or maybe your just used to window jargon, so your speaking OSLI. :mrgreen:

ranger

#11 Post by ranger »

Whoa ! My other right lol..window on left is the sunrise....

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

Someone done stole the hospital dam off that sill, wait a minute they never wanted a coastal window in the first place out there in Ohio/Michigan...........

randy

#13 Post by randy »

I'm alway wary of GC's (or anyone else for that matter) offering something at "cost". Just because they don't show a line item charge above cost on the window doesn't mean they're not getting it somewhere else in the project.

I don't know your GC, so I'm not speaking of them when I say this. I've seen GC's offer the same thing here, setting the expectations ahead of time, so that when problems arise, the homeowner doesn't expect follow-up service, since the windows were done at "cost" in the first place.

Cnote325

#14 Post by Cnote325 »

he offered 5 year warranty on all his labor in addition to the Alside product warranty.

he will install any window i want to buy, I just asked him for a recommendation. He said he prefers the slope sill, but the pocket sill, if kept clean (which he admits is a pain) is fine. Meeting with him again tonight to decide what route to go.

Cnote325

#15 Post by Cnote325 »

Well still no decision...and there was a 'mix up' in the quote...The UltraMaxx has a u factor of 25 at the center of the window and 28 outside. So what I was originally told was incorrect. I found this by looking at the Alside website which had it listed at 28 and not 25. The GC questioned Alside and they explained why the difference.

They do offer a triple pane window in the Sheffield frame that I can get for the same price b/c of the 'mis-quote'. Not sure if that is any better, but its u factor is 23 throughout the window.

He said he could also get me the Simonton window or Vinylco.
As of now, I have ruled out the Ultra Maxx and am considering the Simonton and Sheffield ClimaTech Plus or Simonton (what model?)

Thanks.