Sash sizes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bmantiquarian

Sash sizes

#1 Post by bmantiquarian »

I just had my replacement window choice shot down by the Architectural Review Board of my neighborhood because the upper sash is "too wide." I measured it and it is 3 3/8," and this seems about the same as other windows. However, it is wide when compared to the old builder-installed aluminum windows that are in place now. Does anyone know of any narrower vinyl windows that are worth comparing with Sunrise (ones I wanted)? Yes, this is an odd question. . . Thanks!

HomeSealed

Re: Sash sizes

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

It is not an odd question, however, it really stinks because Sunrise is about as narrow as you can get in a quality vinyl window. Unless you are in a hot climate, you'll want to stay away from aluminum, so you may check out fiberglass and see what they think of that.... Or, get on the condo board and get that ridiculous rule changed. :wink:

bmantiquarian

#3 Post by bmantiquarian »

Thanks! I think so too. Wouldn't have aluminum nor fiberglass if I have to paint it!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:It is not an odd question, however, it really stinks because Sunrise is about as narrow as you can get in a quality vinyl window. Unless you are in a hot climate, you'll want to stay away from aluminum, so you may check out fiberglass and see what they think of that.... Or, get on the condo board and get that ridiculous rule changed. :wink:
+1

Sunrise Vanguard, Okna Insul-Tec, and Soft-Lite Bainbridge are all sub-3" profiles.

EcoStar Remodeling

#5 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I'd ask the HOA for an approved window. We sell Sunrise which as has already been mentioned is among the lowest profiles available in a quality vinyl window. I would simply make them aware of this fact and also let them know that what they are doing with this stupid ruling is forcing the entire homeowner group to purchase aluminum windows which aren't the best in terms of energy efficiency.

It sounds to me as if you are the first homeowner who wants to replace their windows and they really don't understand anything about vinyl window profiles. If you have the Sunrise brochure, it shows a comparison to a thick framed vinyl window. I would show that to them and then tell them that rather than you bringing dozens of windows to them that they will surely reject, you want them to come up with an approved window that is also energy efficient and at a reasonable price and that's what you will go with. Tell them you think it's unfair that they are in essence forcing you to purchase a lower energy efficient window and that you will have to live with higher utility bills for many, many years because of their ignorance about windows.

It's worked for me before. :lol:

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Eco makes some very good points. They may reconsider if you are able to present them with the options that are out there. Fiberglass will be pricey and need paint, and aluminum will definitely not be the most efficient choice, so it would seem unreasonable for them to mandate that. If they are presented with all of the facts, I don't see any reason why they would not allow a vinyl window. Most assoc's that we've worked with mandate colors and general appearance so that once everyone's windows have been replaced, they maintain uniformity. To expect them to look exactly like the original aluminum is just unreasonable,imo.

bmantiquarian

#7 Post by bmantiquarian »

Thank you all for your suggestions. They are excellent!