Replacing replacement windows again in Colorado

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
jdutton

Replacing replacement windows again in Colorado

#1 Post by jdutton »

Replacing 15 Bristol triple pane replacement windows. I'm down to Simonton Prism, Cascade, or Simonton 6500 from Home Depot. I can't afford to screw up again with replacement windows. Don't get me started on the cost and performance of the Bristol mess.

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Replacing replacement windows again in Colorado

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

If those are your only choices, go with the Simonton Prism PLATINUM. Not the Gold or Bronze.

jdutton

#3 Post by jdutton »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:If those are your only choices, go with the Simonton Prism PLATINUM. Not the Gold or Bronze.
Are there any other good choices? I am a bit disadvantaged in this area of the country for options.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I'm in Northern Virginia so I'm not familiar with the choices available to you out west. Might try Amerimax, Anlin or Milgard.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

Milgard's Tuscany vinyl window might be available in your area. I don't think it's any better than Simonton Prism, but since you asked for options, thought I'd mention it.

Soft-lite shows a dealer in Highland Ranch, Colorado. If that's not too far from you, contacting them for an estimate would be smart. Soft-lite is a highly regarded vinyl window manufacturer.

pondscum

#6 Post by pondscum »

There's also a Sunrise Vanguard dealer in the Denver area, and Sunrise Restorations in Colorado Springs.

jdutton

#7 Post by jdutton »

Thanks for all the suggestions and options. I have signed the contract and order for the Simonton Prism Platinum and have great confidence in the installer. In my opinion, it is not so much the window brand itself as the installation of that window. Installation was a major problem with the Bristols I am replacing.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Installation is a critical element to the replacement window equation.

That being said, don't mistake it for the only element. You did get a good window in the Prism Platinum so you have the material equation covered as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

jdutton

#9 Post by jdutton »

Thanks! We thought we had a good window in the Bristol--triple pane and all. Those windows have been one headache after another, and there is no recourse for me other than replacing them. The window installer/company that sold the windows to us went bankrupt, and even contacting Winchester (manufacturer) directly yielded no solution. If there was a way to hold Winchester responsible and make them pay for the new windows, I would do it!

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

jdutton wrote:Thanks! We thought we had a good window in the Bristol--triple pane and all. Those windows have been one headache after another, and there is no recourse for me other than replacing them. The window installer/company that sold the windows to us went bankrupt, and even contacting Winchester (manufacturer) directly yielded no solution. If there was a way to hold Winchester responsible and make them pay for the new windows, I would do it!
If there are issues that should be covered under warranty, I don't see why you couldn't hold them responsible. IMHO, it may be the ugliest window on the market, but they are still accountable for their product.

jdutton

#11 Post by jdutton »

I contacted Winchester, the maker of the Bristol windows, numerous times and even included pictures of the failed seals, indoor water damage to the sills, and condensation between the "triple" panes. Never had a reply from them in any way. Short of hiring an attorney and going after Winchester to stand by their warranty, I'm out of options. The warranty, by the way, does not included problems as a result of installation!

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keep at them.

If you can get someone on the phone, you will typically get more legs with that.

EcoStar Remodeling

#13 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

jdutton wrote:I contacted Winchester, the maker of the Bristol windows, numerous times and even included pictures of the failed seals, indoor water damage to the sills, and condensation between the "triple" panes. Never had a reply from them in any way. Short of hiring an attorney and going after Winchester to stand by their warranty, I'm out of options. The warranty, by the way, does not included problems as a result of installation!
This is one of the reasons the Pros on this site recommend the windows that we do. It's one thing to make a window that meets EnergyStar, has an AAMA and NFRC rating etc. It's another thing when it comes to great customer service and warranty fulfillment, as you have discovered. Simonton does a great job in this department and you can be sure that should you ever have a problem with it, Simonton will honor their warranty.

randy

#14 Post by randy »

Simonton does a great job in this department and you can be sure that should you ever have a problem with it, Simonton will honor their warranty.
I agree. Although Simonton doesn't make the best performing windows, they absolutely do take care of warranty issues and go the extra mile to make the customer happy.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

jdutton wrote:I contacted Winchester, the maker of the Bristol windows, numerous times and even included pictures of the failed seals, indoor water damage to the sills, and condensation between the "triple" panes. Never had a reply from them in any way. Short of hiring an attorney and going after Winchester to stand by their warranty, I'm out of options. The warranty, by the way, does not included problems as a result of installation!
Have you filed complaints with anyone (BBB, etc)? That will usually get them off their butts and responding to you. Seal failures etc are not going to installation issues...
If you have already moved on and are replacing them, it is probably a moot point now.
As mentioned above, you should be happier with the Simonton choice. :)