What type of Foam should be used

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TMFE

What type of Foam should be used

#1 Post by TMFE »

A contractor is installing 11 Soft-Lite windows in my home this week. 4 of the windows are 102 units and the rest are a normal sized window.

What type of Low Expanding Foam should I tell him to purchase to ensure the windows are properly insulated?

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: What type of Foam should be used

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Why not let the contractor use what he normally uses? If he doesn't normally use foam, I'd let him do whatever he's comfortable with. I would not want my house used for him to learn to use foam.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I agree with EcoStar, for the most part. However, if you've got a sharp installer who's looking to improve his installation technique, I'd consider being his first job with foam. The key is knowing that application should be done sparingly and slowly, until he gets the hang of it. The primary objective is to seal the cavity against air and water migration.

The best choice is a polyurethane, closed cell, minimal expanding foam. Dow, Hilti, OSI are three of the more popular brands.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

An important factor in my opinioon is a pro gun for appling the foam, makes a huge difference in control.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with randy and anthony. The choices mentioned are all applied using a "pro gun" which allows a bit a adjustment for control. The worst that can happen is that they overfill and have a mess to clean up, or under-fill and have to hit it a second time. The low-expansion variety will NOT bow the frame no matter how much you put in.... I would agree with Eco, however, on the point that you really should let the installer use what he prefers. If you are not confident in his choice, then perhaps you picked the wrong installer... that goes for different foam brands, foam v fiberglass, etc.... One thing I will say, if your installers show up with a case of cans of Great Stuff, that is a pretty telling sign. :o

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:I'd agree with randy and anthony. The choices mentioned are all applied using a "pro gun" which allows a bit a adjustment for control. The worst that can happen is that they overfill and have a mess to clean up, or under-fill and have to hit it a second time. The low-expansion variety will NOT bow the frame no matter how much you put in.... I would agree with Eco, however, on the point that you really should let the installer use what he prefers. If you are not confident in his choice, then perhaps you picked the wrong installer... that goes for different foam brands, foam v fiberglass, etc.... One thing I will say, if your installers show up with a case of cans of Great Stuff, that is a pretty telling sign. :o
Guns are 10X better for control but you would be surprised, some installers still insist on can and straw.

Using it is what is ultimately key.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:I'd agree with randy and anthony. The choices mentioned are all applied using a "pro gun" which allows a bit a adjustment for control. The worst that can happen is that they overfill and have a mess to clean up, or under-fill and have to hit it a second time. The low-expansion variety will NOT bow the frame no matter how much you put in.... I would agree with Eco, however, on the point that you really should let the installer use what he prefers. If you are not confident in his choice, then perhaps you picked the wrong installer... that goes for different foam brands, foam v fiberglass, etc.... One thing I will say, if your installers show up with a case of cans of Great Stuff, that is a pretty telling sign. :o
Guns are 10X better for control but you would be surprised, some installers still insist on can and straw.

Using it is what is ultimately key.

The can and straw foam is a messy nightmare to use. The guns are the only way to go.

hootie

#8 Post by hootie »

Are you going with double or triple pane soft Lite? and which glazing, spacer system did you opt for? Yes, keep us posted. I am considering Soft-Lite as well. thanks

TMFE

#9 Post by TMFE »

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to the installer and they indicated they use OSI low expansion foam.

The windows look great and I am thorougly satisfied.

Hootie - As far as the window I went with. I went with the double pane barrington soft-lite window with low-e/argon.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The OSI foam is also known as TeQ.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

anthony wrote:The OSI foam is also known as TeQ.
We've been using it for a couple years now with good results. Doesn't expand as much as some others, but that can be a good thing. Overall, I think the most important thing is using whichever product you are comfortable with to avoid gaps and/or messes.