Soft-Lite vs Thermolock Hallmark

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jholton

Soft-Lite vs Thermolock Hallmark

#1 Post by jholton »

First off this is a great forum for a novice like myself to gain information. I have spent a lot of time reading posts and it has been a great help.

I am still in the process of meeting with contractors to get different quotes for different manufacturers, but so far I have met with two very reputable companies. One quoted me Soft-Lite Bainbridge and Imperial LS and the other Thermolock Hallmark.

Soft-Lite Bainbridge
19 DH
9 Picture
1 one-lite casement
2 two-lite casement
8 awnings
$17355 installed with wraps

Soft-Lite Imperial LS
19 DH
9 Picture
1 one-lite casement
2 two-lite casement
8 awnings
$17785 installed with wraps

Thermolock Hallmark
14 DH
12 Picture
8 awnings
5 casement
$13,500 installed with wraps

I am wondering what do the experts think of these two windows? Second how does the price compare?

I am still trying to schedule an appointment to get quoted a Simonton and Gorell option. I have submitted a requested through each manufacturer website to have a contractor contact me.

Thanks for any help.

randy

Re: Soft-Lite vs Thermolock Hallmark

#2 Post by randy »

The Soft-lite Imperial LS is an outstanding window. The Bainbridge is a very good window. Never heard of the Thermolock Hallmark.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

randy wrote:The Soft-lite Imperial LS is an outstanding window. The Bainbridge is a very good window. Never heard of the Thermolock Hallmark.
+1

Never seen the Bainbridge and LS priced that closely either. The LS is well worth that slight difference and I cannot say that I know anything about your third choice either.

jholton

#4 Post by jholton »

I appreciate the replies. How does the pricing look for the Imperial LS? The contractor is very reputable and did a nice job at walking me through the Soft-Lite options. Just wanting to verify that the pricing seems to be a decent value.

Thanks.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

Since none of us have seen your house, and the particulars of the installation, and since pricing varies from region to region, it's impossible for us to accurately advise you on pricing.
Typically we only comment on pricing if the numbers seem outrageous (low or high), and yours don't.

jholton

#6 Post by jholton »

Randy thank you very much. That is what I was looking to verify that the price was in the ballpark.

Would anyone recommend another manufacturer and model to compare to the Imperial LS?

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

You have a very good window at a very good price. You have a contractor who has spent time with you and whom you are comfortable with. Why do you feel the need to continue to shop? Seriously, I'd really like to know.

jholton

#8 Post by jholton »

Sky I asked the professionals if there is another manufacturer that I should look at. Right, wrong, or indifferent I have found buying new windows the same as buying a new mattress. Each store/contractor has their own sales pitch, some use different terminology, and there are so many manufacturers.

For me a 18k investment is a lot of money and I want to make sure that I make the right decision. The Soft-Lite dealer has been great to work with, but does that mean Soft-Lite is the best use of my 18k? Or is there another option that is better for the same money?

I have read some of your posts in the past and you know windows very well, but I have also seen where you will make the same posts about shopping around. I know that reputable contractors like yourself hate the fact that homeowners shop around especially when you lose business to sketchy companies that will not do the job close to as well as you will. I really appreciate that. The issue is that in the Kansas City area I can find around 50 plus window contractors and each is telling me that they have the best product, best install crew, best warranty, and best price.

I really appreciate this forum as it has done a lot to help me out. I just want to make sure that that I making the very best decision for my family both now and in the future.

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

Read what I said again and understand I would not have made that comment lightly. I think a quick search of this site will convince you that the LS is a very good window.

Normally, when I tell people to keep shopping is when I think there is something wrong with what a contractor has represented to them or I feel they can find a better window for a lower price. I also will tell someone when I think they have found a great deal. I was just truely curious about why you felt the need to keep shopping when by all indications you had met what i feel are the ingredients for a good purchase. Call it my own professional curiosity into buyers thinking. The Pro's on here also like to learn from the consumers. It's a 2 way street.

If you want to keep looking, then I would look at the

Gorell 5100 and 5300 series
Okna 500 and 800 series
Simonton 5500/Platinum Prism or Impressions 9800 series

jholton

#10 Post by jholton »

Update I was able to get a quote from a Simonton dealer for 5500 series windows and their quote for double pane was around 23k, they then offered me later in the day triple pane for the same price.

Couple of questions.

Soft Lite Imperial is in the 17k range
Simonton 5500 double or triple pane is in the 23k range

Is there any reason for me to looking at the Simonton? Not sure if its value is that high.
Second question is that the Simonton contractor made a lot of comments about how bad the Soft-Lite customer service, long lead times to get product, and that they might be gong out of business. Is any of that true? If so what parts?

Thanks.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

Soft-lite's Imperial LS a much better window, IMO - higher DP rating & lower AL rating.

His lies about Soft-lite going out of business are indicative of a deceptive, underhanded salesperson who will stop at nothing to get a contract signed. I'd absolutely advise staying away from that company, regardless of the price or other inducements.

hootie

#12 Post by hootie »

Did you go with the Imperial LS? How are the windows working out for you?