Replacement Window Help - Dallas, TX (Vinyl)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
joebrandon1977

Replacement Window Help - Dallas, TX (Vinyl)

#1 Post by joebrandon1977 »

Hi everyone,

I am researching window quality online and there seems to a vast range of opinions. But this board seems to have the most unbiased knowledge base, so I am hoping you can help me!

I live in Dallas TX. Home was built in 1963 and has original single pane windows. 2 Story House and have a total of 26 windows (including a bay & bow).

Any recommendations on window brands/models in my area?

The wife would like nice architecture design on the exterior. Interior has 100% plantation shutters, so not as particular about interior appearance.

I have a local contractor that I have had some conversations with and he sells the Alside brand. Which reading on this board, it doesn't seem to be a fan favorite.

Thanks,
Joe

randy

Re: Replacement Window Help - Dallas, TX (Vinyl)

#2 Post by randy »

Dallas homes often have very large windows, so you want to make sure that any vinyl window you consider is well built with higher quality vinyl compounds, double strength glass, thicker vinyl walls, and internal reinforcement. Three brands that are highly regarded by the pros here, and which are available in DFW, are Soft-lite and Sunrise, and Gorell. If you have a lot of round-top windows, or overly large operable windows, NT Windows' Energy Master would be a good option as well - not in the same league as Soft-lite or Sunrise, but good value.

Don Young's thermally-broken aluminum windows are worth a look. You do give up some efficiency, however, they offer very narrow frames and sashes which maximize the glass, and they hold up very well long-term.

Get as many details as possible on the installation details of each company. Look for a company that uses minimal expanding foam around the perimeter of the windows to seal off air and water migration, and avoid the caulk-and-walk installation method used by the vast majority of Texas window replacement companies. If your home has a brick exterior, caulking alone is insufficient.

Plantation shutters present collateral issues to be considered - such as the inability to tilt sashes inward.

Alside does not build a high quality window, they are all poorly designed and built to be sold for low price.

Since your house was built prior to 1978, a lead test will have to be performed to determine whether lead is present around the windows.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why not click on Randy's name listed above? He is now servicing the Dallas area.

I know of one recent install in Dallas as well. :D

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Randy will do an excellent job for you, and I agree on the Soft-lite or Sunrise vinyl units.
If you want fiberglass you can also look at InLine.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I recommend randy as well. A quick search of his posts reveal his dedication to quality and high level of ethics. You won't find anyone in Dallas who is more knowledgeable.
I'd also second the above mentioned brands.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Randy's crew just handled my Aunt's installation. If that doesn't speak volumes, I am not sure what will.

joebrandon1977

#7 Post by joebrandon1977 »

Thanks Randy!

Coulpe of questions to your response:

1. Dallas homes have very large windows. Well, our house was built in 63, and I'm not sure what is a big window. Here is a summary of most of my windows. Would you consider these average, big, etc? BTW, I don't have any rounded windows.

3 = 32 x 36
6= 36 x 36
2 = 44 x 72
6 = 19 x74 (6 panel bow)
2 = 18 x 48 (bay) + 69 x 48
5 = 44 x 52

2. Plantation shutters present collateral issues to be considered - such as the inability to tilt sashes inward. Luckily I planned ahead here. When I had the plantation shutters designed, they have an ouside frame so I can have a tilt sash without problem.

3. Thanks for the brands! NT & Milgard are a couple of other brands that have been discussed. I guess I need to go to a show room and see these windows for myself.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

The two at 44 by 72 are the only really big ones.

The rest are well within normal ranges.

I wouldn't consider Milgard and NT in the premium vinyl category.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would use the Soft-lite Imperial LS or the Sunrise Vanguard, both can be made to your largest window size as well as there step down/more econ. series.
My customers in the DFW market usually choose cheaper products which seems to be related to overall lower home values and less concern with energy savings.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

1. As WoW said, the 44x72 windows are the only large ones on your house. I've seen some single hungs there in Dallas as large as 48x96. So you're in good shape to use whatever window you prefer.

2. Great thinking, that will come in handy.

3. NT is not a premium brand, it is a middle of the road option, as is Milgard. I only mentioned NT as an affordable alternative in case you had overly large windows or lots of round shapes, which you don't.