Sliding Door

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TMFE

Sliding Door

#1 Post by TMFE »

I had a sliding door installed and when the installer was replacing the sliding door he noticed there was rotten wood around the frame. He replaced the frame, however when he put the door in the opening there was still an 1/2 inch of space at the top and on the sides of the door. He filled it with foam, but I am concerned about air leakage.

How much of a gap between the frame and the sliding door is ok? Should I have the installer come back and put thicker wood around the frame to fix the gaps?

Please advise.

Windows on Washington

Re: Sliding Door

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is reasonable as long as it was foamed properly. You are hard pressed to fill that gap any smaller with lumber.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.... 1X stock is going to be 3/4". Personally, I would try to fill that up with some wood lathe, but even then, all it is really doing is saving me foam by taking up space. As long as the fastened areas are shimmed properly and the foam is thorough (I like to apply from inside and outside in that case), you should be in good shape.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Properly anchored and foamed is all that you need.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

TMFE wrote: He replaced the frame, however when he put the door in the opening there was still an 1/2 inch of space at the top and on the sides of the door.
That is within the rough opening dimensions specified for most door installations. Leave it alone.

Kirill

#6 Post by Kirill »

I believe foam is better insulation than wood