Florida Window Replacement Help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bananas

Florida Window Replacement Help

#1 Post by bananas »

We are looking to replace 14 aluminum single pane windows that came with our 6 yr. old home. I live just north of Daytona Beach, Fl.

Do to the intense heat and sun we must keep are blinds closed most of the time. We have been looking into vinyl energy efficient windows. Low E, Argon gas, double pane, coated panes single hung. Solar gain is very important since we cannot open our blinds until after the sun leaves the window area, and then the heat is still intense at times. Also we need protection from fading.

I have had a salesman from the Door Store recommending Anderson (Silverline) I believe they only have double hung. One dealer carries both PGT and Simonton, remaining dealers that I know of carry only PGT.

PGT 2200 series seems to meet what we are looking for. U factor .30, SHGC .19 w/grids .21 w/out grids, VT .49 w/out grids .44 w/grids, Energy Star 1,2,3,4.

Am I off base on this? Should I be looking at some other brands if I can find them or should I lean more to Simonton?

I have had 4 salesmen come out and no one says the same thing so I am having problems gaining any confidence in these folks.

I am 10 miles west from the ocean. I have hurricane shutters. So I do not require impact glass.

I live in a block home with stucco.
Last edited by bananas on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Help with Vinyl Window Replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

TLH knows Florida better than anybody that I know of.

PGT is a pretty well regarded window and if you asked most contractors, they would prefer that unit over the SilverLine. The SilverLine 9500 is certainly the best of their units so stick to that one if you want a quote.

bananas

Re: Florida Window Replacement Help

#3 Post by bananas »

I have had 6 companies come to give me quotes here near Daytona Beach on the PGT 2200 Series and Simonton, not sure which series.

I have some problems. 2 companies I have little faith in the other 4 said, "Wow that has never been asked before, I'll have to get back with you, with those questions you should be doing my job"

My window openings are not square but they said they could cut some of the dry wall then I would need to re-paint on the inside. They would measure to the shortest opening and then caulk any remaining opening. So the caulking would be wide in some areas and again I would need to touch up to blend into the wall.

How does any of this sound?

I have stucco outside and I was told they would have to cut/grind at the end of the flange (?) since the stucco over laps. A stucco guy may have to do some touch up and make it appear as nothing changed.

He also said for my double wide windows I could go with sliders that would be less expensive and provide more open window. These are approx 72" tall. Would this as well as single hung windows?

Does anyone have any recommendations for my area or work done in the past?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most of what they said in reference to what will need to be done with the openings sounds pretty standard and acceptable.

Not sure about anyone to recommend down there.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:Most of what they said in reference to what will need to be done with the openings sounds pretty standard and acceptable.

Not sure about anyone to recommend down there.
+1... although I'm not sure about 72" tall sliders. That is about the max height for many manufacturers (over max for some) and it might be finicky to operate. It would be cheaper, but I'd stick with dh or sh for that size. Just my $.02.

bananas

#6 Post by bananas »

That's wwhat I was wondering also about a slider that tall and the stress/weight.

bananas

#7 Post by bananas »

I had another guy come today. He told me PGT does not make a "slider" in the 2200 Series that would reach 72". He is the first one to mention this.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't know PGT, but it is over the max for many product lines. The other sales guys might have not really even thought about it... I've done that once or twice where I recommend something that is not even available. :oops: .... It happens to the best of us. :wink:

TLHWINDOWS

#9 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

I like PGT, but what are you looking for in a window? The 2200 is a good window, the design is built for block structures and is based off the 2100 series new construction window.

The 2100/2200 is the most basic model for PGT. I use it for certian applications and as a "budget" window. The design build and structure is better than SilverLines 2000 series for sure.

If you want to step up in their line then the 2300 DH or the 400 Single hung are better windows with better AI and DP numbers. DP number is important even if you have shutters because most areas that require shutters or impact windows require a DP50 window a minimum. Some sizes of the PGT 2200 do not meet that. (note that the SilverLine 2100 block window is a inferior window but does get DP50 ratings).

Other windows you should look at: Shwinco, Custom.

windowman1952

#10 Post by windowman1952 »

If you can afford it consider impact windows (even with shutters). I live near Charleston SC and back in 1989 when Hugo hit us with 140 mph winds and tides that came inland 2 miles, we lost power immediately and were without power for days. Do you really want to be in a dark house if a storm hits your area ? Not to mention the general security impact windows gives against intruders etc. IMPORTANT...DP 50 is a bare minimum you might want to consider a DP 65 or 70 to get better water resistance. f you buy impact, go to Miami Dade product approval and read the full report. It will have specifics on EVERYTHING about the installation down to the type size and placement of screws.

Give us some costs before you buy......DO YOUR REASEARCH !!!!!