Adding molding to aluminum trim.

For those self-installers
Ringwood

Adding molding to aluminum trim.

#1 Post by Ringwood »

Hi,

I am a DIYer. Last year I replaced 19 windows in my house. This year I am having the house resided and the window casings will be wrapped with aluminum. I have an option to have the wrap be flat or have a step in it to look like trim. I do not like the wrap with a step. It has a very fake look to it. What I would like to do is to have the wrap done flat and add a solid vinyl decretive molding to it. This would give the same appearance that is there now.
Does this sound like something that is practical? Any reason it wouldn't work? Best way to attach it?

Thanks for any advice...

Windows on Washington

Re: Adding molding to aluminum trim.

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That can easily be done and is often done when capping window boxes for the 3-D look.

Stainless, color matched trim nails and a delicate hand will get it done.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, I think the aatachment is the fly in the annointment.
Could use adhesive and paslode nail gun with SS nails.

Ringwood

#4 Post by Ringwood »

Thanks for the reply guys.

I found white stainless nails that look like they will work. I have the option of plain shank or ring shank. Should use the special solvent cement to bond the mitered corners? Should I run a bead of glue where it attaches to the aluminum? What adhesive sticks to both?

Thanks for your help.

DerbyDad03

#5 Post by DerbyDad03 »

Just another DIYer's way of dealing with PVC trim:

The old way:

Last year I used white adhesive caulk and small screws through the back of some PVC moulding to build up a profile around a Slider VRW. I then used small white nails to attach the built-up PVC to the aluminum and wood behind it, then caulked all seams with white window caulk.

The new way(s):

I recently needed to make some long L-brackets for a non-window related project and had heard that Super Glue works great on PVC trim. I used SG to glue the edge of one piece of PVC flat stock to the face of another piece, creating a right angle. After about a minute I tried to break the joint and ended up breaking the stock itself. You need to hold the pieces in place for a few seconds since they want to slide around, so a jig and clamps might be worth the trouble if you have a lot of pieces to glue up.

Super Glue will be my preferred PVC-to-PVC adhesive from now on.

Last weekend, I used my multifunction tool to remove some blind stops around a picture window, leaving a 3/4" wide x 1.5" deep slot for the replacement stops.

I ripped some 3x4" x 4" PVC stock down to a width that would give me the reveal I wanted and put a bead of Silicon adhesive on both faces and the edge, then inserted it into the slot. Less than a 1/2 hour later I couldn't pull the stops out of the slots. No nails required. Once the window was installed I used regular window caulk on all seams.

Silicon adhesive will now be my preferred way to attached vinyl trim to wood.

I am finding more and more uses for PVC trim besides just for "trim".