Okna price

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kderr

Okna price

#1 Post by kderr »

I got a quote last night for Okna windows- we are only looking to replace 2-3 windows at a time, so I was told the price is a little higher than it would be if we were doing all of our windows at once, which we can't afford to do. The quote is for the Okna 400 series, I think, and it's the Deluxe Energy package, which includes foam filled insulated extrusions & locking screens. It is for dual glazed, double hung, standard sized. His quote is $351/window, which seems like a really good deal to me. The only other reasonable quote we have received was for Thermalite window, the 510 series, for $525, which from what I've read, is not as good of a window as the Okna. The only other estimate we are waiting on is from the people the neighbors used last year, but they sell Simonton windows, and I don't think I want to use them, from what I've read. In fact, I'm considering calling to cancel the appointment tonight for the estimate. Can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable price for the Okna window, or if there are other questions I should be asking?

HomeSealed

Re: Okna price

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

There are obviously a lot of variables that go into pricing, however, that price is insanely low. Even as Okna's "entry level" window, it is still one of the better models on the market. Does that include capping on the exterior? Are there any other fees, etc?

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

For low quanity sounds like an excellent deal.

ranger

#4 Post by ranger »

I am completely mystified as to how this contractor can make a profit at that price.. It's a good window even though it's Okna's entry level window..but 351 a window!! Just doesn't make sense especially with only 3 windows...he 's obviously losing money at that price.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

anthony wrote:For low quanity sounds like an excellent deal.
+1

Super low price and even more so when you figure on the scale of the project.

If you like the contractor and product, there is nothing the Simonton line that will be better and probably at nowhere near that number.

Run...don't walk toward that contractor/price if you like him/her.

kderr

#6 Post by kderr »

Are there any questions I should follow up with him about to make sure I'm not missing anything? I even asked him how he could have such a great price, and he said because he's not a salesman, and he's the owner of the company. And he said the price would stay the same as long as we continue replacing windows with him, unless the price of the actual window would go up. I almost am afraid that there is some catch, but he even gave me the Okna brochure, and he had a sample window with him. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about. Any suggestions on how to research him and his company? He is an authorized Okna dealer, so I would think his work would be good.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Ask to look at his last two completed jobs.

kderr

#8 Post by kderr »

He did say he would email me the names of his last several jobs he did, and that we could call and talk to them. He was in business and retired, then when the economy took a turn for the worse he went back into busines, but on a much smaller scale.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sound like he is a straight shooter. I will take that over a liar every day.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like you've stumbled upon an amazing deal... If everything checks out, you should be set. The only thing that I will mention, is that a guy running such a small operation may or may not be around a few years down the road to service the install/product. That may or may not be all that important to you, but it is something to consider.

ranger

#11 Post by ranger »

The fact that he was out of business once already gives me pause..only the strong survive..
Again, there is no way he is making a profit at those prices in fact I see him losing money,. Something tells me his quote was for well over $400 per window for the 400 series but a mistake was made and he's stuck.
Who knows what his motive is.. Good luck.

kderr

#12 Post by kderr »

He said he was in business, and had about 40 employees, and then retired. Then when the economy started going bad, his 401K took a hit, so he decided to go back into business, but on a much smaller scale. When I spoke with him initially on the phone, he quoted me about $325 per window, and then when I said we can only do 2-3 at a time, he said he would have to charge a little more, which is understandable. So his higher price is $351/window. I asked him directly how his prices are so low, and he said because he's a small company and he's the owner, and he doesn't pay for salesman, etc. I don't know how else to find out if he's a reputable company, other than calling past clients of his. I know his prices seem awesome, but I admit I am a bit hesitant. However, from what I've read on here, the Okna, even the 400 series, is a good window.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

kderr wrote:He said he was in business, and had about 40 employees, and then retired. Then when the economy started going bad, his 401K took a hit, so he decided to go back into business, but on a much smaller scale. When I spoke with him initially on the phone, he quoted me about $325 per window, and then when I said we can only do 2-3 at a time, he said he would have to charge a little more, which is understandable. So his higher price is $351/window. I asked him directly how his prices are so low, and he said because he's a small company and he's the owner, and he doesn't pay for salesman, etc. I don't know how else to find out if he's a reputable company, other than calling past clients of his. I know his prices seem awesome, but I admit I am a bit hesitant. However, from what I've read on here, the Okna, even the 400 series, is a good window.
The 400 is a very good window... Does he do the installs himself as well? If so, he can probably make a few bucks. If he pays someone to install, I just don't see how that's possible. He literally has to be a one-man-band working out of his pickup truck with absolutely no overhead.

kderr

#14 Post by kderr »

No, he has employees...he was talking about them going to the Okna training to become licensed installers. I am going to call him with some questions next week.

ranger

#15 Post by ranger »

He cannot be serious. That's like a Mercedes salesman quoting the price of a Kia for a brand new 80,000 benz.fForget about him having low overhead, he is still losing money.
This is probably one of the Many reasons he was out of business for a while.
Well, there is no reason to continue with this post, it's done..