Polaris UltraWeld

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rugmankc

Re: Polaris UltraWeld

#46 Post by rugmankc »

Windows are in and look great. They did quality work on inside, caulking superb.

Time will tell on energy savings--

Only issue is that even with two guys outside trim is not done, so the gaps/insulation show. He will not come back tomorrow and recognized I was not happy and concerned about rain coming in. Said it will not be an issue and if insulation gets wet, he will replace it. This may be normal procedure and no big deal, but was a little disappointed. My wife thought that if they knew good chance of not getting done, maybe should have done half one day and half another. And, completed everything on the windows each day.

Again if this is really no issue, then all went very well. Their problem is I may side house in spring and they seem slow to complete projects IMHO-- :) So, future work could be jeopardized. I also may just be an OCD type of guy-- :mrgreen:

One note, the U Factor was 30 on sticker and heat gain? 30 also. I will have to recheck, but thought UV was 28. May be wrong and no time to search tonite--

Ken

Windows on Washington

#47 Post by Windows on Washington »

The insulation getting wet in this case is no biggie.

I can't remember if this was a wood window/pocket installation. If that is the case, what you are looking at where the fiberglass was previously your window exterior in most cases so you are fine.

I prefer spray foam but fiberglass is okay if properly sealed on both sides.

rugmankc

#48 Post by rugmankc »

WoW

Not sure what you meant by "wood window/pocket installation" but it is a wood house, wood framing. Windows have 1X4 trim boards around them. Insulation looks well packed and he will replace it if it gets wet.

Sounds like I am OK

Thanks,

Ken

PS: Will follow up on any energy savings--

Delaware Mike

#49 Post by Delaware Mike »

With a wood pocket insert/retrofit style installation performed from the exterior of the house they may have cut or chiseled off the exterior stops and then plan on capping the exterior trim boards into the accessory groove of the new window? Or they may plan on putting up new exterior stops and then capping everything?

Either way the mindset of many installers including myself is to get all of the windows in so we don't have to go back inside the house on a future date. Many times both homeowners work and it's nice for them to not have to take any additional time off from work for these kinds of projects. Once the inside work is done the exterior capping doesn't require access to the inside of the house.

Personally I would have either spray foamed the perimeter or sealed the gap with some exterior sealant that way if it did rain the homeowner's mind was at ease. I also like to get one window fully capped if possible so they can see the finished product, this goes a long way.

rugmankc

#50 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks Mike

My wife called me just now at work and he came back out to finish before any rains hit. So, all is well. Will report on long term performance.

Ken

rugmankc

#51 Post by rugmankc »

Well, he only got 4 of the 6 trimmed out Sat and not back today--misty rain started late morning--heavy tommorow. No capping involved. Wish he had done all exposed windows first and left the big picture to finish, since it is under big porch.

Only issue is screens for the sliders. They either fit VERY tight or do not slide all the way in to vertical track. Like track is not wide enough or may be pushed in. Can't tell by looking though. The lower left pushes in but top left almost does not go in at all. Maybe a minor adjustment.

Otherwise very good workmanship.

Ken

HomeSealed

#52 Post by HomeSealed »

rugmankc wrote:Well, he only got 4 of the 6 trimmed out Sat and not back today--misty rain started late morning--heavy tommorow. No capping involved. Wish he had done all exposed windows first and left the big picture to finish, since it is under big porch.

Only issue is screens for the sliders. They either fit VERY tight or do not slide all the way in to vertical track. Like track is not wide enough or may be pushed in. Can't tell by looking though. The lower left pushes in but top left almost does not go in at all. Maybe a minor adjustment.

Otherwise very good workmanship.

Ken
Sometimes you'll have weld flash that isn't cleaned well enough in the screen track which keeps one corner from pushing all the way in. Sometimes you can just force it in and it will knock the junk out of there, other times trimming it with a razor blade is necessary.

rugmankc

#53 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks HomeSealed,

Sounds exactly like the issue--I pushed one hard and it set in

Will have installer look at it first, but I can handle it if needed

Haven't had him come back out yet to finish last two windows on outside trim, some rain in area, but we were dry. Was hoping he would call and check. Called owner but no call back. Guess happy with window and workmanship, not with customer service as response goes. It will make three trips for 6 basic windows. Thought owner would call and least give me game plan to finish.

House, a two story, seamed more even up and down on temp after new windows in. Usually up is 1 to 2 degrees warmer. But were exactly the same Friday night. I know too soon to tell--

rugmankc

#54 Post by rugmankc »

All windows now done and screens working--was out of town when he finished, so don't know about what was done on screens. They look great and I like the depth visual when looking at them from outside. Not just flat all around. Guess I now need a few months to see about efficiency.

Appreciate everyone's input here--

Ken

windowman1952

#55 Post by windowman1952 »

Glad you feel you made a good decision.

rugmankc

#56 Post by rugmankc »

Getting the IRS form ready for taxes--company will give me material costs--think that is all I need

Took pic of sticker--glad I did, as they took them off and with them

UF .30 SHGC .30 VT .55

Does that sound right for the Ultrawelds 8020--no air filtration, although I thought I saw it somewhere when I was doing extensive research

As I mentioned earlier, thought the UF was lower

Today was first day after windows in that trash truck came by. Extremely less outside noise. Barely heard truck, as before I heard it a street away--

Ken

HomeSealed

#57 Post by HomeSealed »

Your installer should provide you a manufacturer's certification statement which is = to the labels for tax credit purposes. A picture of the sticker will not suffice... The AI #'s will not be publishes on the NFRC as that rating is not one tested by the NFRC.

rugmankc

#58 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks HomeSealed,

Need to pay for them tomorrow and will ask about certificate. I found the tax form and it doesn't require any documents to be sent in, but I would need it for an audit.

Ken

sanjay_p

#59 Post by sanjay_p »

rugmankc,

Any updates on these windows? I am thinking about getting Polaris UltraWeld windows and was wondering if they are good and you are satisfied with them.

Thank you.

rugmankc

#60 Post by rugmankc »

sanjay,

haha, didn't even know if I was still subscribed to forum or how to get back to it to post--

very satisfied, house is warmer and quieter. the sliders fit very snug, which is good. wife would like them loser to open. but no problem and we rarely open them.

company did excellent job installing, perfect caulking. that is key I think. get references.

or if one of the regulars here are close to you, contact them

one thing to note on real difference. my son (31, not a kid) said the triple pane we had would get very hot to the touch in summer. window faced the heat of the day. new windows do get get hot or even warm. a good testimonial, i think :)

ken