American Jewel windows quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Powerguru

American Jewel windows quote

#1 Post by Powerguru »

Hello everyone,

I recently got a quote of $3950 for :

1. 2 windows of Double hung 3000 series American jewel window in double pane with heat gate 1
2. 1 window of the 3 above will have a semi circular glass window on its top.
3. 1 sliding "alside 6100" patio door.

I have no idea about any pricing. Is it something comparable. Another gentleman gave me a quote of $6000 for slocomb brand.

Please can anyone shade some light, if these quotes are not on higher side. I have never dealt with buying windows in my life.

Please help.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: American Jewel windows quote

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

American Jewel is not a very well regarded window and for good reason.

The 6100 series door is also a KD (knock down) frame and can be a leaker if not put together just right.

I would recommend that you expand your quotes and you will need to provide some additional information on the windows you are replacing to get more directed feedback on the quote and requirements.

ranger

#3 Post by ranger »

Agree. I would take a look at a better designed window that most pro's recommend such as Okna ,gorell, Polaris Ultra series windows, or Sunrise.

ZAPAS

#4 Post by ZAPAS »

WHAT IS "GOOD REASON" ?
Give us facts please, not just your subjective opinion.
Other post here talking about 7 important numbers while buying windows (U-factor, SHGC, etc.).
Can you provide those for American Jewel Windows, if you know this product so well.

ranger

#5 Post by ranger »

I can tell you American jewel use very thin vinyl walls and the window is flimsy.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Zapas,

I have stated in multiple threads that I don't know the window personally but apparently the slight against it is on its wall thickness as ranger mentioned.

See my previous replies:

http://www.replacement-windows.com/wind ... php?t=1925

See Bill's reply:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1647

More complaints of flimsy frames:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complain ... 11154.html

http://www.contractortalk.com/f33/ameri ... ows-72595/

ZAPAS

#7 Post by ZAPAS »

I know that I can`t win this battle against all of you. You are giving people information about product that you never seen. You giving them your subjective opinions.
Prove me that I`m wrong and you are fully aware about all features that 3000 or 1700 series of American Jewel windows offer.
Complains that you posted here are 5 years old. If I want I can find complains about any product out there. Including your favorite Okna, Simonton, Gorell or Soft lite. You know that every window manufacturers make different series of their products and their are for different customers.
Yes. I`m window installer and I install American Jewel windows as well as all stated above (Okna, Gorell, etc.)
I (my customers) have no problems with American Jewels windows (series that I installing). I can provide you with over 50 letters that we received from satisfied customers. I can also provide a letter that tells about problems that my customers had with Starmark Windows (Okna BEST series). But I still think that Starmark is good window.
If you don`t believe me you can go to Angie list web site and see what regular people (not window experts) thing about AJ windows.
Alside 6100 Patio door is wood core door and I`ve been installing them for over 15 years.
I had NO single problem with them. I can not say same thing about other products that I`ve installed.
And by the way I still have not seen any facts about American Jewel windows
(U factor, SHGC, etc.). You just operating with flimsy vinyl (not true either).

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

ZAPAS, compare the numbers: U value, shgc, AI, Dp, etc, and the proof is truly in the pudding, particularly in regard to the Okna and Softlite options... Do you have any "facts" to support that AJ is even comparable? Saying that you've installed a lot of them with no problems and that customers are generally happy is pretty unscientific. I'm sure that the same can be said for some of the worst performing products out there, and that's not to say that AJ is one, but they don't appear to measure up to the premium choices either.
Last edited by HomeSealed on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I have never had a thing to say about American Jewel one way or the other. They are not sold where I am and I have never seen one. I have no opinion of their quality.

You are saying that the forum and the pros here are not being fair about American Jewel.
This forum gets over 1 million unique visitors a year.
There has been plenty of opportunity for American Jewel customers to come on here and rave about American Jewel windows just like they do about Okna, Sunrise and others. Where are they?
The fact that none of them has come here praising their great experiences with American Jewel is not our fault.