Installing in rain

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JaxSAH

Installing in rain

#1 Post by JaxSAH »

I got the call yesterday that the Gorell windows could be installed today (which is good because I have today off), but it's raining. Can windows be installed in the rain? Two of my windows are in a screened in porch and one is under the covering of my front porch. The rest are under the overhang of the roof.

I am just so excited to get these windows installed, but I hope they can be done with the rain.

Also, I plan to tip the guys $25 each. I was told that there would be two installers. Is a $25 tip OK for installing 10 windows? I hope so because I'm a teacher, so you know that means I'm not rich.

TLHWINDOWS

Re: Installing in rain

#2 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

We don't install in the rain because moisture can be trapped between the new window and walls.

Otherwise, it is possible to install in the rain, although I wouldn't recommend it.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends largely on the extent and volume of rain for us.

Misting, no big deal and the wall will dry to inside in the absence of a vapor barrier.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

We never install in the rain.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:Depends largely on the extent and volume of rain for us.

Misting, no big deal and the wall will dry to inside in the absence of a vapor barrier.
+1. Depends how badly it is raining... A little drizzle on and off will have no effect. If the openings are covered by overhangs etc, then there is no problem regardless. The main problem is caulking and foam can't be done with raining running on it, but it is also can be messy when you have to go in and out of the house. Ultimately, I'd leave it up to your installation company to make the call.
On the tip, it isn't customary to have to do so, but it is always a nice bonus for the installers. I'd suggest giving it to them around lunch time as opposed to the end of the job, that way they may give a little extra attention to the details. :D

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

HomeSealed wrote:+1. Depends how badly it is raining... A little drizzle on and off will have no effect. If the openings are covered by overhangs etc, then there is no problem regardless. The main problem is caulking and foam can't be done with raining running on it, but it is also can be messy when you have to go in and out of the house. Ultimately, I'd leave it up to your installation company to make the call.
On the tip, it isn't customary to have to do so, but it is always a nice bonus for the installers. I'd suggest giving it to them around lunch time as opposed to the end of the job, that way they may give a little extra attention to the details. :D
+1
If the windows are not getting rained on because of a nice overhang then there is nothing wrong with installing them. The installers will probably want to wait on wrapping the exteriors until it is dry though.
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JaxSAH

#7 Post by JaxSAH »

HomeSealed wrote: On the tip, it isn't customary to have to do so, but it is always a nice bonus for the installers. I'd suggest giving it to them around lunch time as opposed to the end of the job, that way they may give a little extra attention to the details. :D
Thanks for the heads up. I read your post when they were eating lunch at their truck, so I gave them the tip. There were three of them, and I was glad I had gotten enough cash at the bank yesterday.

The weather cleared up. The windows are in, they are just doing the finishing on the outside. When finished, I'll take pictures.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'd rather install in the snow then when it's raining. :P

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Delaware Mike wrote:I'd rather install in the snow then when it's raining. :P
+1

We were installing during those snow storms in 2009/2010.

We had to clear snow away from the home so it didn't fall into the opening. :lol:

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:
Delaware Mike wrote:I'd rather install in the snow then when it's raining. :P
+1

We were installing during those snow storms in 2009/2010.

We had to clear snow away from the home so it didn't fall into the opening. :lol:
Hey, that's 4 months of the year, every year up around here! :lol:

Deerfield

#11 Post by Deerfield »

I never tipped any crew that worked on my house before. But if they hadn't yet finished the work by lunch time, I always treated them lunch to show my appreciation.

Dave, I will do the same to your crew.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Having worked with the tool belt on for 30 years... it was never demanded nor expected, but you will get extra out of the crews if you are kind and appreciative.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

anthony wrote:Having worked with the tool belt on for 30 years... it was never demanded nor expected, but you will get extra out of the crews if you are kind and appreciative.
It is a small gesture and certainly not required, however, the crew really appreciate it.

ranger

#14 Post by ranger »

Tipping is never expected but when someone does, it's greatly appreciated ..if I find out someone has tipped my crew, I always call the homeowner and thank them. The installers ( good ones), are the unsung hero's is this business.
As for installing in rain, we do unless it's a heavy down pour and there are no over hangs..
Quad is much better in moist weather than silicone.

JaxSAH

#15 Post by JaxSAH »

Deerfield wrote:I never tipped any crew that worked on my house before. But if they hadn't yet finished the work by lunch time, I always treated them lunch to show my appreciation.

Dave, I will do the same to your crew.
I thought about giving them lunch, but then I thought, what would they like better: lunch or money? What if I bought them food they didn't like? Everyone likes money!

They were very appreciative. There were 3 installers, so I spent $25 more than originally planned, but it's the holiday season! They thanked me when I gave them, and the main guy thanked me again for the tip before they left.

I know if wasn't expected, but they were very nice for hanging around at their business, waiting the rain to stop. They could have just said, let's take an early Thanksgiving vacation, and do this later. They were told that I was very excited to have the windows installed on that day, so they did me a favor by waiting 90 minutes for the rain to stop.