Who to pick???

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jafish

Who to pick???

#1 Post by jafish »

I live in the Metro-Detroit Michigan area. It is overwhelming to decide on what company to go with. It frustrates me that none of the salemen leave any worth while documentation to review after they leave. I don't get a good feeling from any of them that have been here. What window brand is good, and what company is known for excellent installation?

Windows on Washington

Re: Who to pick???

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sunrise windows are in your backyard (located in MI) and make a very good product.

Unfortunately, window sales can be a confusing process and further complicated by sleazy sales tactics.

If you educate yourself here on these forums, you will be well served and probably save yourself heartache and money in the end.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1
You will learn here about some of the best products and why.
Also how to find the right installer.

JaxSAH

#4 Post by JaxSAH »

I learned much from the website. When I contacted the first company (name was given to me by a co-worker who used them last year), they only sold Anderson SIlverline. I was very happy with the quote that I received (was $1500 less than my top of my budget of $4000). That evening, I googled "Anderson Silverline" and found this website. These people don't mince words, so I worried for over a week whether I was making a mistake going with this window. I mean, is there really an inferior vinyl? Vinyl is vinyl, right? What difference could there be between vinyl windows?

My next contact was Lowes. This salesman couldn't come out right away. His first appointment was 10 days after he called me (and his call came 2 days after I went to Lowes to request an estimate. I almost gave up on ever hearing from him.) That guy recommended Pella (can't remember the other brand Lowes carries, but he didn't recommend it). That estimate was the top of my budget. Pella also didn't pass muster at this website.

I spent the days waiting for my Lowes appointment reading on this website, about what these guys thought were good windows. I contacted some of the manufacturers' websites by leaving my name and number, but I didn't get any contact from that. I found a local company that carried Gorell (from Gorell's website), and they came out the next day (2 days after the Lowes guy came out). They knew I was on a budget, so they showed me the Anderson Silverline. Their estimate was $300 more than the first guy, but the first guy only quoted me for 8 windows while Lowes and the Gorell salesman said I needed 10 windows. I have 8 openings, but 2 of the openings would have 2 smaller windows.) When I saw that estimate, I felt they were not price gouging. I asked the salesman if they carried any other windows, and he told me about Gorell. He showed me the difference between the 2 windows. I told him I thought it was out of my price range. He told me they were offering some specials (like buy so many, get one free), so I told him to go ahead and give me an estimate. It was $1100 over my budget, but when I saw the 2 windows side by side, I could see the difference. I bit the bullet and decided right then to spend the extra money. I had been doing research for the past 3 weeks, so I didn't need time to think about it. Some may say I should have thought about it for a few days, but I trust my gut feeling. I also liked this company because they had been in business for 20+ years and had their own contractors. (I remember seeing their sign over a year ago at a house down the street, and their windows look great. They have since moved, so I could not talk to them.)

This is long, but I wanted to give you information of my experience. I am a divorced, female school teacher, who knows very little about the building industry. I don't understand a lot of what these guys are talking about in terms of construction, but they gave me very useful information in listing the windows they like. I had my windows installed last Wednesday and could not be more thrilled with my choice. I originally was going to get single hung windows to save money, but I love the double hung windows. (The company was not running a special on Gorell's single hung windows, so I got the double hung for a better price than the single hung.) I love the fact that I can use the ventilation feature from the top part (is that called a sash?).

I feel proud of myself that I made a good decision, but I owe it all to the people on this message board.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Wow Jax, what a great write-up! Your story is is truly the perfect example for why this site exists, and for the reason why those of us that contribute derive such a sense of satisfaction. :D
Congrats on the good decision.

JaxSAH

#6 Post by JaxSAH »

HomeSealed wrote:Wow Jax, what a great write-up! Your story is is truly the perfect example for why this site exists, and for the reason why those of us that contribute derive such a sense of satisfaction. :D
Congrats on the good decision.
So, it wasn't too long?? :wink:

I want to thank the people on this message board for offering this service. I knew absolutely nothing about windows, but I truly felt I made an informed decision. I didn't take y'all at your word (because who knows who is posting on the internet, right?), but you gave me brands so I could do my research. I was in a hurry as I wanted the windows installed by Thanksgiving, so I didn't research the other brands, but I feel good about my Gorell windows.

Thank you again, guys!

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

:D

Great post JaxSAH. I hope more learn from your experiences.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Thank you for sharing how you wisely used this resource.