New Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HomeSealed

Re: New Windows

#31 Post by HomeSealed »

dsenier wrote:We have POS vinyl replacement windows from the late 80's in now so not worried about the viewing area thru the window.
With that being the case, you very well might gain glass with any of the 3, but even more so with the Gorell and Sunrise.

dsenier

#32 Post by dsenier »

A local distributor informed me earlier today that triple pane windows will have issues with the "Constant Force Balance" not being able to support the heaftier window over time. Thus the reason he would not recomend triple pane... Seriously?

EcoStar Remodeling

#33 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

dsenier wrote:A local distributor informed me earlier today that triple pane windows will have issues with the "Constant Force Balance" not being able to support the heaftier window over time. Thus the reason he would not recomend triple pane... Seriously?
Balony!!!

HomeSealed

#34 Post by HomeSealed »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:
dsenier wrote:A local distributor informed me earlier today that triple pane windows will have issues with the "Constant Force Balance" not being able to support the heaftier window over time. Thus the reason he would not recomend triple pane... Seriously?
Balony!!!
+1... If that guy is one that you are considering, I'd disqualify him as he is either grossly misinformed or just flat out dishonest. Constant force and block and tackle balance systems are both very durable and will handle anything thing that you would need.

dsenier

#35 Post by dsenier »

Thanks =) Since I am leaning toward Soft-Lite now I am just waiting on a second quote for a comparisson on the Imperial LS and I would like to see a Gorell 5100 series quote as well.

HomeSealed

#36 Post by HomeSealed »

dsenier wrote:Thanks =) Since I am leaning toward Soft-Lite now I am just waiting on a second quote for a comparisson on the Imperial LS and I would like to see a Gorell 5100 series quote as well.
If you don't need the woodgrain, the 5100 series is basically going to be the same as the Timeless, just without the "plus" features (fg reinforcement, foam frames, etc).... I guess if it is through a different dealer, you may get a better price. That said, you have 3 nice choices on the table. I'd just pull the trigger on one of those.

TheWindowNerd

#37 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The LS seems to be the best price point so far.
It would be a great choice.

dsenier

#38 Post by dsenier »

After getting a look at the OKNA 500 Series the rep gave us a triple pane glass package for all with the folowing windows.

Was 10 DH - 31x52 now 6 DH and 2 Sliders
Was 5 - 26x36 no 3 DH and 1 Slider
1 - 38x52 - no change
was 1 - Bow 127x53 w/ 3 pics and 2 casements 25x53 ea. now Bay 1/4, 1/2, 1/4

All for $13000 installed 25% down to order 75% on completition.

The biggest seller for me is the Bay windows the other reps all told us they would only do a bow.

Thoughts? Concerns?

I also recieved this from the soft-lite guy after I told him we are getting OKNA
I’m sorry to hear that. Do some research on Okna before it’s too late though. They are a very new manufacturer only about 8 years old or so and they haven’t had the best reviews in this industry. We looked into carrying them a couple of years ago and decided against it because they choose to use 3rd party rating companies to obtain their energy quotients. Normally that means that they have something to hide. Also they were involved in a lawsuit with Window Wizards out of Philadelphia a couple of years ago for claiming that they had foam filled windows when they didn’t. You can actually good search that and find the video online that the news station put up. There is always a reason for things costing less. I could offer you our Vytex window that would compete more in line with the Okna for right around $10k if that’s what you want. You would have been better going with one of the local guys putting in the Imperial LS window. At least that way you know that Soft-Lite will still be around, Okna is really a gamble.

randy

#39 Post by randy »

As a Soft-lite dealer, I'm sorry that your local dealer chose to take the low road on this.

Okna is a solid company, with some of the best products in the vinyl window industry.

Okna has chosen not to use AAMA for their certification, but uses another equally good organization - Keystone. Either one is fine for me, as long as there is independent testing verification from a reputable organization.

The Window Wizards issue has been addressed here in the past. The bottom line is that Window Wizards lied to homeowners, and left Okna holding the bag. My understanding is that Okna went back and made things right with the homeowners, despite the fact that they had nothing to do with the deception.

I am not a dealer for Okna, but I would feel every bit as confident in buying windows from them as I would Soft-lite, Sunrise, Gorell, Simonton, or any other company. Okna may not have be as old as some other companies, but they are quickly setting high standards for innovation and quality.
Last edited by randy on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#40 Post by HomeSealed »

Here is a link to Okna's company history: http://www.oknawindows.com/company/history.stml . That sales guy needs to work on his math if he thinks that 1994 to 2011 (almost 2012) only equals eight years.
On the certification, as randy explained, Keystone tests in accordance with AAMA standards and is highly respected in the industry. Any inference to the contrary is a lie.
On the WW situation, again, randy hit that on the head. Basically, WW was responsible for much of Okna's growth early on (due to volume), so they really could not come out and throw them under the bus. WW falsely marketed the products as fully foam filled, when in fact it is impossible to ensure that with injected foam, as there will always be air pockets etc. Ironically, this is the method that softlite uses. Okna now CNC cuts EPS foam and inserts them into the chambers to insure a complete fill.
You made a great choice on the Okna product. It is every bit the window of the Softlite, as the numbers show. It is a shame that so many Softlite reps and dealers take the low road when it comes to their competitors by falsely attempting to smear any product that is as good or better than theirs. Both the LS and 500 are two of the top 5 or so options out there so you would not go wrong either way on window. It is nice, however, that you did not have to choose a company that would resort to such sleazy tactics and lies.

Windows on Washington

#41 Post by Windows on Washington »

I could not have asked for a more fair response from anyone, not to mention a Soft-Lite dealer, than randy penned right there.

Guys like the posters on this board are really some of the most honorable people you will ever deal with.

If any readers of this board are ever in Houston or Dallas and don't call on randy, or HomeSealed in Milwaukee, or etc...you are really doing yourself a disservice.

dsenier

#42 Post by dsenier »

I really appreciate the input. Do you see any issues with Bay window size at all I was ecstatic that we can do a Bay but dismayed why the rest refused to quote a Bay of this size. Also we like the idea of the sliders for the windows but just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing a reason why we should not do them...

I will follow up on the project with before and after pics and let you all know how it goes.

HomeSealed

#43 Post by HomeSealed »

No and no. We have installed significantly larger bays/bows with no issue, and sliders are a fine choice as well. They are not generally the "tightest" option available, but as long as you choose a quality, well designed product (such as the Okna or Softlite), they will serve you well and save you a few bucks to boot... I'm not a big fan of the "tilt-in" variety, but Okna does not even offer that option, so that point is irrelevant.

TheWindowNerd

#44 Post by TheWindowNerd »

That is a large bay...
It needs to be installed with as much support as possible, cables and knee braces, both if possible.
Is it a 24" max depth? Check the foot print of the unit to make sure you are happy with the layout.

dsenier

#45 Post by dsenier »

I was told that the radius would be equal to the current bay at 30 deg I can confirm the max depth though.