Simonton 5500 vs Soft Lite Barrington

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
darcy6010

Simonton 5500 vs Soft Lite Barrington

#1 Post by darcy6010 »

I am in Maryland and considering replacement of 70 year old windows with Simonton 5500 installed by Champion or Soft Lite Barrington installed by Nova Installations. Most are double hung, but there are 3 fixed and one casement. Price is the same. Are Soft Lite Barrington better quality becuase of lower air filtration index? Champion tells me air filtration isn't really measured. I have read about problems with frost inside the Soft Lite windows but I am not sure if that is true. Also I think the quality of installation is a factor as well. Any quick advice very much appreciated.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Simonton 5500 vs Soft Lite Barrington

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Slow down, don't be pushed or dragged to a decision.
I did not get to hear the context of the comment "air (sic)filtration really isn't measured", that is not true. Companies that do not have good AI/AL testings like to hide the numbers. It is only one of many things to be reveiwed and considered. I would be much more concerned about being lied to and mislead.
Also which company do you feel will do the best install and why?
By the way I think a better comparision is the 5500 to the Bainbridge.

darcy6010

#3 Post by darcy6010 »

Hello-
Thanks for your response. Since I posted my question, I went on Simonton's website. It clearly has air filtration measures so I am not sure why the Simonton installer would say air filtration is not measured. Cost is really a factor as I am replacing 18 windows. What is your opinion on Simonton 5500, Soft Lite Barrington or Soft Lite Bainbridge? I take it that you don't think well of Barrington. Would have to price Bainbridge. From what I can tell Barrington may be better than Simonton due to air filtration measures. One installer has BBB rating and other does not - otherwise I am not sure which is the better installer.

Thanks for input.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Bainbridge is a level above the Barrington and is about mid tier in the SL line up.
The 5500 is a good window, was what I used to use before I wanted better thermal/structural performance, it is mid/upper tier in Simontons line up.

darcy6010

#5 Post by darcy6010 »

What type of window do you use now?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

My preferred unit is the Okna 800dx, as well as the Soft Lite Imp LS, or Sunrise Vanguard.

randy

#7 Post by randy »

The Bainbridge is a good window - better than the Barrington and better than the Simonton 5500. It should be a little less expensive than the Soft-lite LS.

darcy6010

#8 Post by darcy6010 »

I really appreciate the advice.

dsenier

#9 Post by dsenier »

anthony wrote:My preferred unit is the Okna 800dx, as well as the Soft Lite Imp LS, or Sunrise Vanguard.
Why do you like the 800dx over the 500dx from Okna? What pricing delta would you expect to see when upgrading to the 800dx without adding any high end features and using a standard size UI?

Last question why do you put Sunrise in the same category as the other 2? While it is a good window, it does not have some of the additional structural upgrades to the frame or sash as the other 2.

EcoStar Remodeling

#10 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

The Vanguard most certainly does have structural upgrades.

http://www.vanguardwindows.com/doublehung_windows.html

The next question is why do you think you need a window that already has a DP50, with structural upgrades if it already has a lifetime warranty against warping?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

dsenier wrote:
anthony wrote:My preferred unit is the Okna 800dx, as well as the Soft Lite Imp LS, or Sunrise Vanguard.
Why do you like the 800dx over the 500dx from Okna? What pricing delta would you expect to see when upgrading to the 800dx without adding any high end features and using a standard size UI?

Last question why do you put Sunrise in the same category as the other 2? While it is a good window, it does not have some of the additional structural upgrades to the frame or sash as the other 2.
800 series has the reinforcement rail, magnetic weatherstripping, and an applied metal handle.

DP is a bit higher in the 800 at a DP60 but the DP50 is fine for the Okna 500 or any other window that is near that number.

What someone charges for the upgrade is up the company. Our upgrade feel from the 500 to the 800 is very small.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

I think that the 500 and 800 are both premium choices (as is the Sunrise). WoW explained the differences pretty well. IMO, the 800 just has some extra bells and whistles (along with the little bit higher ratings). They also have different option content (ie: woodgrains, etc) which is another reason why we pretty much sell the 800 upgrade near cost.