Simonton Windows for Southeastern Pennsylvania

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Wally

Simonton Windows for Southeastern Pennsylvania

#1 Post by Wally »

I'm looking to replace 33 double-hung windows and was given a quote for the Simonton 5050 of $245/window. The windows would be double pain with low-E & argon gas. We just moved into this house last year and plan on being here for about 25 years.

The same wholesaler originally wanted to sell me the Premium Energy Weld windows from Ideal (price was $48/window less). I read a lot of negative reviews on the Ideal window, which is why I'm now focused on the Simonton 5050.

I haven't found any negative or exceptional reviews on the 5050. Is this a reasonably good and durable window? Would I be able to get considerably more value for my money or a significantly better window from Simonton if I were willing to spend another $30-$50 per window? Is so, which window would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Simonton Windows for Southeastern Pennsylvania

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Ask them for a quote on the Simonton 5500 series. It's a much better window. I would invest in a better window than the 5050 if you plan on being there for a long time. You also need to make sure whomever does the install is a competent professional. A good quality window will only be as good as the installation.

Wally

#3 Post by Wally »

Thank you for your response. Is there a significant difference in quality between the Simonton 5500 and the low end of the Prism series (Bronze)? Significant enough to warrant any extra cost?

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Reflections 5500=Prism Platinum
Reflections 5300=Prism Ultra Gold
Reflections 5050=Prism Bronze

Yes there is a lot of difference between the 5500 and the 5050. Probably worth the upgrade. The 5050/Bronze is for those on a tight budget, a rental property, or someone who is only planning on being in the house for a few years. It's essentially an upgraded version of their builder grade line. Not a bad window, but I think you will find that spending a little more will get you a better window.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We only ever used the 5050 for a down and dirty price or rental/flip property.
Anyone who was going to live in their property long term or a friend we used 5500.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

If it were my home, my 3 choices would be: Prism Platinum, Impressions 9800, or Reflections 5500.

Wally

#7 Post by Wally »

This has all been extremely helpful!

A couple of follow-up questions:

* Are there any significant differences between the Prism and Reflections lines?

* Does adding grills to the inside of a window noticeably reduce the energy efficiency of a window? Enough to influence a decision not to add grills?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Wally wrote:This has all been extremely helpful!

* Are there any significant differences between the Prism and Reflections lines?

* Does adding grills to the inside of a window noticeably reduce the energy efficiency of a window? Enough to influence a decision not to add grills?

No significant differences between the two. I think the Prism comes standard with double strength glass in the Platinum whereas it is an option in the Reflections.

Mechanically and design wise, they are the exact same window.

Grills usually have very little impact on thermal efficiency and certainly not enough to rule them out if you like the look of them.

EcoStar Remodeling

#9 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Wally wrote:This has all been extremely helpful!

Yes, although very slight. The vent latches are different cosmetically, but that's about it. The biggest difference is the Prism Platinum comes with double strength glass standard and a lifetime glass breakage warranty and the Reflections comes with single strength glass. If you upgrade to double strength glass, the Reflections gets a 3 year glass breakage warranty.

No real world difference.

bayareawindowshopper

#10 Post by bayareawindowshopper »

WOW, 245/window :shock: - that is amazing...here in SF, we don't get anything under 600/window! Does this include installation or just windows?

Wally

#11 Post by Wally »

It includes the windows, installation, capping and removal of old windows. We're not talking the high-end windows, though......

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

That's pricing from 20-years ago. I'd be very afraid of quality of work at that price.

Wally

#13 Post by Wally »

The guy is a wholesaler and one of the top 3 dealers in the region so he's able to get the windows at a much lower price than his competitors.

EcoStar Remodeling

#14 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Simonton only sells the Reflections through building supply houses such as ABC Supply, Roof Center, and Bradco. Norandex is the only distributor that sells the Prism line. If this person is telling you he is a Simonton wholesaler and he also does installs then something doesn't sound right. AFAIK other than what I have listed, there are no Simonton "wholesalers". The other question you have to ask is if he knows what the market is for Simonton Windows, why would he choose to sell far below market price? Would you purchase fish at $0.50 per lb. if you knew the market price was $6.00 per lb? Something doesn't smell right, here. :lol:

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

No such thing as a Simonton wholesaler to my knowledge. I am also very suspect of that number.

Even companies that promise tons of labor and pay 50% of market are charging more than $245 per window.

Read the fine print. :idea: