Simonton Windows for Southeastern Pennsylvania

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Simonton Windows for Southeastern Pennsylvania

#16 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

To clarify, the moniker "wholesaler" indicates a distributor who sells windows to smaller installing dealers. I do know of a few factory direct dealers who purchase directly from Simonton without the middle man. These are usually dealers who do a lot of volume and Simonton doesn't want to lose their business to competitors. I think this may be a larger dealer who is factory direct but to tout himself as a Simonton wholesaler would not be accurate.

Wally

#17 Post by Wally »

Apparently I misunderstood. The cost of the Simonton 5050 window itself is $245. The cost of the window with capping and all labor is $325. The all-in cost for the Simonton 5500 is $352. This compares to a cost of $277 for the Premium Energy Weld from Ideal.

How do these prices sound to you?

EcoStar Remodeling

#18 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I knew there was something wrong with that price. I would go with the 5500.

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

Wally wrote:Apparently I misunderstood. The cost of the Simonton 5050 window itself is $245. The cost of the window with capping and all labor is $325. The all-in cost for the Simonton 5500 is $352. This compares to a cost of $277 for the Premium Energy Weld from Ideal.

How do these prices sound to you?
I'll defer to the guys who are in your region, but that price ($352 installed and capped for the 5500) still seems crazy-low, I don't care how much volume that he does.

TheWindowNerd

#20 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The window cost sounds OK.
But the install can not be done to high standards for that amount.

Wally

#21 Post by Wally »

What type of load to the cost of the window would you expect for a quality install?

Does anyone have any experience with the Ideal Ultra Weld?

ranger

#22 Post by ranger »

352 is absolutely ridiculous and he will be losing money . He sounds like day laborer who doesn't know how to price a job and that in itself is a red flag.
The fact that you are more concerned with the lowest price leads me to believe you will be back on this forum asking what went wrong with your lousy installation. Our answer will be you made the conscious decision to use the cheapest guy. So now that cheap 352 price will be very expensive when you have to pay a true professional 500 per window to tear out some chop job and do a proper installation..now your true cost per window is 825. Are you sure you are a good negotiator and smart businessman?
Not trying to give you heat, just giving you a heads up so you don't make a novice mistake.

Wally

#23 Post by Wally »

This guy just does windows and he's been in the business for over 20 years so classifying him as a day laborer would be ridiculously unfair. I do believe I'm a fairly savvy businessman. I've gotten additional quotes and he's pretty close to others that I have received. The biggest issue I'm having is that I haven't received two quotes for the exact same window so I'm not really comparing apples-to-apples.

It sounds like you'll be surprised if I have a positive experience with this guy. I will certainly let you know how things work out. If it goes well, I guess this means a lot of folks may be overpaying for window replacement services.......

ranger

#24 Post by ranger »

No professional installer worth his salt will install a window that cheaply. I find t extremely hard to believe. Also, what you consider a good install and what actually is a good install are probably two different things.as far as you being savvy , I doubt it.

Wally

#25 Post by Wally »

tell me what you think the all-in cost of 33 DH windows, 3 oriels, 1 picture window and 2 semi-circular windows from the Simonton 5500 line (with low-E and argon gas) should be.

HomeSealed

#26 Post by HomeSealed »

Wally, ranger may be rather blunt, but overall I'd have to agree with his assessment... Cost and pricing can vary wildly from dealer to dealer, but the fact is, @ $350 installed, there is very, very little profit(if any at all) for even the largest (or smallest- for that matter) dealers on that that product. It is very possible that this company is just looking for some cash flow, and work for their installers over the slow season , but is that the type of company that you want to do business with? Will they be around in 10 yrs to service your install if necessary? .... It is possible that you've found the ultimate window deal: a qualified, reputable installer who is down and out, but will recover soon and be around for the long term, but unfortunately the odds on that are slim... The fact that you are consulting these boards tells me that you want to minimize the risk involved, however, choosing that installer would not fit the bill imo.