Anyone heard of 7 D Industries?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ksuzyq08

Anyone heard of 7 D Industries?

#1 Post by ksuzyq08 »

Anyone heard of the company? I have received a quote to replace 9 vinyl windows for right at $3200. The Simonton quote I received was $4200 for the Relfections 5050. This is my first home, a fixer upper and I have several more projects and don't want to go all out on windows but I don't to waste time and money on junk either. I want basic efficient windows, I don't plan on living here forever. I currently have 1970 wood windows.

Skydawggy

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

You said 9 vinyl windows. Some more detail would be helpful. Does that price include grids, how large are the windows, does it include Low E glass and argon gas? How about capping, is that included. What type of insulation is the contractor going to use, if any? How long has the company been in business? Can they provide you with any referrals? Have you checked with the BBB to see if they resolved past inqueries?

I've never heard of 7 D. Perhaps a local company?

The Simonton 50/50 is their low end window. I'd ask how much more for the 5500.

ksuzyq08

more info

#3 Post by ksuzyq08 »

7 D Industries is the manufacturer, like Simonton is a manufacturer, they are located in PA, they also make patio doors. I have actually had a couple more out today. This is my first home, I am learning as I go here, what is capping? I have odd sizes, not sure about insulation, it was never mentioned.

Yes a local company here in Birmingham gave me qoutes, no issues with the BBB and there is a ServicePro service here that rates these types of business' and no issues there. I do know to check those areas out.

7D Industries--No grids, white, low e,
39-3/4 x 37-1/2
39-12/2x65-1/2...3
39-1/2x53-1/2....4
39-1/2x38

another local contractor..no grids, white, you know the specs
Simonton 5050....$4277.87
Simonton 5500.....$4751.52

Champion...$6748.00 that is with all the discounts & promotions
Sears....$7767 this too includes all the discounts & promotions & includes wrapping

Integra

Re: Anyone heard of 7 D Industries?

#4 Post by Integra »

go with Simonton - either model. 7D is a wholesaler who sells to lumber yards and their window division could close at the whim of some manager who decides to save money by closing down a division at any time. Simonton is a serious, committed national manufacturer of solid quality windows. Their service is second to none and they make a very good quality window for the money.

pwindow1

#5 Post by pwindow1 »

Yes, They have been in business for about 18 years. These are some of the best vinyl windows on the market. they have many different series to choose from. They have produced millions of windows. I have these in my house and I love them. Some of my brothers have other vinyl windows in there homes and they wish they had these. They manufactue these in Hollidaysburge PA. They are AAMA certifide products and are also tested under NFRC. I know this post may be comming a little late but I wanted to let you know about them.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

The largest locally owned and operated lumber yard from my home town has some of the 7D vinyl hand samples on display. I had to laugh because apparently the sales rep has never checked in on them. I took a picture with my iPhone of one of them because I was laughing so hard. The display had a fatal case of "spacer migration." Most likely it sat in the trunk of the sales reps car too long before becoming a display model. The black swiggle spacer had migrating about 2" into the visible glass area in several locations.

This doesn't appear to me to be anything more than a low to mid-grade contractor level vinyl window. I've never installed them or dealt with 7D, so I can't "bash" them as it would be unfair. From my experience an installer/dealer if a window cost me a lot less to purchase than another brand there is a very good reason why it's so cheap. We all the know that story about quaking and walking like a duck........

Simonton 5500 would be the bear minimum quality window that I would feel comfortable investing in as a homeowner and installing as a contractor.

pwindow1

#7 Post by pwindow1 »

I did some reserch and found out they dont use swiggle in their windows. They told me they use intercept so the windows you seen must have come from someone else or from someone trying to sell against 7-D. They claim their windows test just as good and sometimes better then their competitors. All I can tell you is I have their windows and they work great. I also got tax credits because they are energy star. As I said my brothers wish they had these in their house.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Which series window did they quote you?

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

http://www.7dindustries.com/sites/defau ... lehung.pdf
Doesn't look terrible, nor does it look like anything special. The standard Intercept spacer while solid, is pretty much the bare minimum, and certainly not anything to brag about. Qualifying for energy star says absolutely nothing about the quality either...I'd be interested to see the other numbers and see it in person before going one way or the other... Example: The MI 1650 looks like a nice choice until you look more closely at the #'s and then touch and feel one in person to see why it is subpar.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

I have the picture in my old iPhone that I took which must be a very old hand sample. It's still most likely on display. One can clearly see the 7 D all over the display stand. If I could muster up the brain power to figure out to post a photo I would post it up.

When there might be as many or more than a thousand manufacturers of vinyl windows in our country, how does one classify testing better than our competitors? I'm not singling out 7 D, be we see some pretty outrageous claims. I'm glad that you like your windows, that's a much better situation then hating them.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote: how does one classify testing better than our competitors?.
That is exactly what I was thinking... Saying they test as good or better than other windows, and that you and brothers like them is pretty inexact.
... I'm guessing that they changed the spacer that they use since then? Maybe that was not an isolated occurrence. :o

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'd bet anything that the spacer migration in this sample was due to being left in car or truck in the middle of summer. I don't know of any manufacturers around here that are still utilizing black swiggle anymore, which is a good thing. One would think that the local rep would be all over getting that sample out of there.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote:I'd bet anything that the spacer migration in this sample was due to being left in car or truck in the middle of summer. I don't know of any manufacturers around here that are still utilizing black swiggle anymore, which is a good thing. One would think that the local rep would be all over getting that sample out of there.
The joys of dealing with supply houses :cry: ... You're probably right though. The last time that I've seen black swiggle, was by a local-hack manufacturer ( who incidentally has spammed this site before).

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Why hide the test data if the window is so good?
It does not make me wonder, I have done this long enough to know.