competent window installer in vabeach

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
vbhomeowner

competent window installer in vabeach

#1 Post by vbhomeowner »

I am looking for a topnotch window installer/company in vabeach for installing simonton 5500 windows. I have looked at wood, fiberglass, and most vinyl brands, have wood and some vinyl on house now installed by previous owner (MW, Timeline and BFrich). Fiberglass nice but expensive, do not want wood because of rot issues so vinyl is the choice is.

vbhomeowner

Re: competent window installer in vabeach

#2 Post by vbhomeowner »

Should have added: 5500 with ETC glass package. And usually when I talk with the folks, I seem to have a better knowledge of the windows than salespersons or general contractors do on u-factor, solar gain, etc. So I am very frustrated with the process and the folks I have talked with because they just want to email a price, or write it on the back of a business card. I do not need a lengthy contract like with RBA or Pella, just need some assurance that I will not get a big box install.

vbhomeowner

#3 Post by vbhomeowner »

Yes, Only one sunrise dealer in area, waiting on a quote and his family is in the construction business. What I do not like about Sunrise has nothing to do with the look of the window, I just do not understand Sunrise window coatings it is not like Loe-366 or Solarban 70. Saw the windows installed very nice. Just worried only one dealers and the company is small so warranty could be an issue.

Many people sell Simonton Prism/5500 in this area, so I can compare apples to apples as long as I get a good install. Simonton look very good on the house as well. To me they are kind of like the Toyota of windows. So that is why I am leaning towards them, figuring a great install is the key.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

vbhomeowner wrote:Yes, Only one sunrise dealer in area, waiting on a quote and his family is in the construction business. What I do not like about Sunrise has nothing to do with the look of the window, I just do not understand Sunrise window coatings it is not like Loe-366 or Solarban 70. Saw the windows installed very nice. Just worried only one dealers and the company is small so warranty could be an issue.

Many people sell Simonton Prism/5500 in this area, so I can compare apples to apples as long as I get a good install. Simonton look very good on the house as well. To me they are kind of like the Toyota of windows. So that is why I am leaning towards them, figuring a great install is the key.
Sunrise windows use the same Cardinal Glass coatings that Simonton does. They just call them something different.

Check with your Sunrise installer and they should be able to sort through the details for you.

Those things being comparable, that is where the similarities stop between those two windows. Sunrise is better for visible glass, air tightness, thermal, etc.

vbhomeowner

#5 Post by vbhomeowner »

WOW,

Many thanks, that is good to know about Sunrise and their glass packages. Still leaning toward Simonton because of wide availability, but I have an open-mind as well about a smaller window-maker.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

vbhomeowner wrote:WOW,

Many thanks, that is good to know about Sunrise and their glass packages. Still leaning toward Simonton because of wide availability, but I have an open-mind as well about a smaller window-maker.
Sunrise might be smaller but they certainly make a solid product.

vbhomeowner

#7 Post by vbhomeowner »

Eco,

I have estimates on Simonton 5500s,

For Sunrise with ultra-12, 10 windows 32x62 plus one fixed 60x54, white on white with internal grids and full screens, wrap, caulk, haul-away, fixing rot as needed, what is a ballpark compared to say 5500 that would be a reasonable price point if you are comfortable saying for Sunrise.

Bill

#8 Post by Bill »

VB I have read a few of your posts and see you are considering the low-e366 that would be a good choice in your climate. The ETC Starter 366 in the Simonton 5500 is the least expensive way to upgrade to low-e 366 but I read you may interested in upgrading to the ETC Super 366 and that is not the best way to upgrade the spacer from Simonton.

The ETC Super 366 is a 7/8” glass pack with Supercept spacer or Super Spacer (we have a choice) and single strength glass. A better way to do this would be to not choose a glass package and simply upgrade the standard window to Low-e 366 and the glass package will default to a 1” glass pack with Supercept (or Super Spacer) and double strength glass and this costs an additional $1.20 over the ETC Super 366. You are basically getting the double strength glass for the same price as the single. Below are the window specifications.

30" (T) X 50" (T) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; 1'' IGU Thickness; Supercept; Low E 366; Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Double Strength (1/8"); Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Sill Extender; Glass Warranty (UI=80"); DP:25; Test Number=91631.01; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.20; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR® region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

vbhomeowner

#9 Post by vbhomeowner »

Bill, many thanks for the insight this is something that does not get explained by salesman which is my frustration with the process so to speak. If I install 5500, I will use the package as you have configured it, seems to make sense for sure. I am still going to get an estimate on the Sunrise b/c I have heard good things about them on this board and seen them on a home but in reality, I cannot tell much of a difference from 5500 but this could just be me.

EcoStar Remodeling

#10 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

We normally charge about $10 more for Ultra-U+12 over the price of the Ultra-U+Plus.

Bill

#11 Post by Bill »

I would certainly get the other estimate; I am not here to sell anyone anything or market a product I’m only here to provide guidance when I think my input may be helpful.

I would not be too frustrated with the Simonton salesman they are almost always purchasing their Simonton products through distributors and their knowledge is only as good as the information provided to them by their distributor.

The structured glass packages from Simonton are simple useful tools for salesman as they were designed to be but as a Simonton distributor we can build our own glass packages in the Simonton order entry system that in some cases offer a better value.

Good luck with your purchase.

vbhomeowner

#12 Post by vbhomeowner »

Bill, Eco or WoW or anyone else,

Any opinion on Timeline or Sienna Replacement both with loe366, the guy who installed the Timeline window over the garage for the former owner wants to sell me either of the two windows. Pricing slightly higher than for Simonton 5500 for Sienna (made by MGM southern rose) and a little higher per opening for Timeline (made by Lincoln Wood windows). Those are the only 2 of 3 the company sells in vinyl (the other being Alside Excalibur). Company also does wood which I do not want.

I have never heard of the Timeline until a ripped to label from the jam head and tracked down the mgr code and called Timeline. My former owner, who is a friend, confirmed thereafter. Neither had I heard of Sienna.

What I like about this guy is he talked with me, gave me a written detailed estimate via email, and only does windows and doors as their main business. So I may like the company better than the windows they sell but I am not sure.

Thanks in advance.

VBhomeowner.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Haven't personally seen either of those two windows. The Sienna window seems to have very average performance based on what I can locate on the NFRC.

Do you have any additional data on the windows?

vbhomeowner

#14 Post by vbhomeowner »

WoW,

Sienna model is 4600 replacement line
http://www.siennawindows.com/sienna-460 ... ndows.html

Timeline is replacement series,
http://www.timelinewindows.com/TechData.aspx

I had not heard of either windows also. The guy said Timeline is geared for new home sales and Sienna is their replacement window of choice.

My only reason to even consider the Timeline is b/c former owner installed two over side loading garage so it would match whatever I put on front of house; and the on Sienna b/c guy said hey this is what he sold mostly and I liked the guy so I said give me an estimate. More confused of course now.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I checked the website and got a couple of red flags.
1st there is no stuctural performance on the site, and no directions to find any.
2nd it mentions a twenty year warranty, which is reasonable but not the best as with Sunrise or Okna.
I did not get a good feel from their website.
Either stick with the Simonton or upgrade to Sunrise.