Vinyl replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Penfl

Vinyl replacement windows

#1 Post by Penfl »

I live in Northwest Florida and am researching getting replacement vinyl windows. I have spent countless hours reading this forum and I have learned a lot since I knew very little about windows. I need a medium quality replacement window that would be good for my area. Are there any suggestions? I have had a couple of quotes but I am not convinced that I want to go with either one of them. They were both for a cheaper quality window and I think I need a little better quality window for my house.

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Vinyl replacement windows

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I'd take a look at PGT, Gorell, Sunrise, Softlite and Simonton. I think they should all be available where you live.

Penfl

#3 Post by Penfl »

Thank you for the information. I got a reply from Sunrise saying that they have no reps in my area. I have a couple of window companies scheduled in the next couple of days so I will see what they have to offer.I I know that at least one offers the Simonton brand of windows. I will have to get prices and then compare quality to determine the best quote.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Have the Simonton Dealer quote the Reflections 5500/Prism Platinum and/or Impressions 9800.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with Eco's recommendations, although I'm not sure if Softlite is down there either. Its worth contacting them to find out.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

PGT is also a well regarded window too.

Penfl

#7 Post by Penfl »

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will research all the above mentioned brands.

dsenier

#8 Post by dsenier »

I am not sure if you figured it out or not but most of the Manufacturers have a web site that you can request a contact from or they provide dealers info for your area. Be patient and try to look at as many windows as possible until your comfortable, do not be afraid to let the reps know they have competition.

Also get all the facts and upgrade pricing, some times you can find deals in your area where they will pugrade you for little money. I would also ask the installers on this site for more info on UV/Heat blocking for FL I would imagine hard coat low E might be good for your area.

Price is subject change by area and installer fees. I have found that the installers on this site will not give any hard numbers but they will say if it sounds like your being ripped off. I personally prefered the quotes from the installers in my area to provide a by window cost with installation.

Last don't be afraid to make a decision, after you have reviewed all the products personally like Okna, PGT, Gorell, Sunrise, Softlite and Simonton choosing any of these is a great choice so long as you have a reputable installer, which some manufacturers require.

TLHWINDOWS

#9 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

PGT, Gorell, Shwinco, Custom Windows. These are the primary for North Florida.

Sunrise, OKNA etc, they can't sell windows in FL because they don't test here.

Gorell is nice, and although I am a dealer, I think they are a little bulky for impacts.

PGT is a good bet. Single hungs (500) can come Miami Dade certified and are tight.

Shwinco makes a nice 200mph impact window, but if you want doors, you'll have to get them from somewere else because they lost their extruder.

Custom is a good window, but they dont' tilt in, and I don't really like that part of them.

The job we are doing now, the customer is doing Shwinco windows and PGT doors. Pretty good combo.

Penfl

#10 Post by Penfl »

Thank you everyone. I have checked out the Simonton today and also called to have someone come out to quote the PGT windows. Not sure but might look at their impact windows even though I have the hurricane shutters. I understand that they make the house so insulated from outside noises.

HoustonWindowExperts

#11 Post by HoustonWindowExperts »

I think you are on the right track to finding the windows you like. One of the things I would suggest you do is to ask for some addresses of previous jobs they have done and drive by those homes to take a look.

If you like what you see, then ask them to give you a name and/or email for that client. I have found that most all of my previous window clients are eager to inform prospective clients about their experience with our company and the windows they chose.

TLHWINDOWS

#12 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Penfl wrote:Thank you everyone. I have checked out the Simonton today and also called to have someone come out to quote the PGT windows. Not sure but might look at their impact windows even though I have the hurricane shutters. I understand that they make the house so insulated from outside noises.

Simonton 5500 and Prism Platinum are good windows. I was never a real fan of their impacts.

PGT 2300 is a nice non impact window that will meet the DP requirements and their 500 series for impact has a nice clean frame.

Impacts will definitly give you some sound reduction, but you should also look at windows with sound and security packages which are not full blown impact rated but will give you a good sound reduction and a little easier on the price.

Penfl

#13 Post by Penfl »

Thank you TLHWINDOWS. I just had a window company out today and i had him check on the laminated glass(sound deadening) in a Simonton 5500 window. It would add a little over a hundred dollars to each window as opposed to almost double the price for an impact window. It would increase the PST from 25 up to 32. The impact window is at 35 so there would not be a huge difference with the laminated glass. I am going to check to see if PGT also offers a laminated glass upgrade. I will post my findings at a later date.

Penfl

#14 Post by Penfl »

That was suppose to be STC of 32 with laminated glass and STC of 35 on the impact window.

TLHWINDOWS

#15 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

PGT makes their 2300 with a Sound and Security glass package. If you don't need impact and are just looking to reduce sound and add some security, then those kind of packages are the way to go.