competent window installer in vabeach

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ellwood

Re: competent window installer in vabeach

#46 Post by ellwood »

9 over 9 in a 32 x 62 DH is awfully busy in my opinion. You may want to look at some of your neighbors windows to see what grid pattern appeals to you most in a like size window.

EcoStar Remodeling

#47 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I'd go with 6/6. 9/9 is too busy for that size window.

vbhomeowner

#48 Post by vbhomeowner »

another quick question, almost ready to place order, got sidetracked with work demands,

Question is on trim coil wrap, spouse says wrap trim coil to match existing trim (kinda an off-white, light antique parchment like color), I prefer matching the trim coil to the white windows even if rest of house trim is slightly different. What say you?

HomeSealed

#49 Post by HomeSealed »

Its really personal preference, but in general I like to match the other trim (fascia, etc.)

Delaware Mike

#50 Post by Delaware Mike »

I agree with HomeSealed about the trim coil, however without seeing any pictures of your house it's very hard to make a blind judgement call. Holding up some samples might be a good idea.

TheWindowNerd

#51 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would go for the perfect marriage(spousal harmony) vs trim color.

HomeSealed

#52 Post by HomeSealed »

anthony wrote:I would go for the perfect marriage(spousal harmony) vs trim color.
Best advice yet! That one can never be wrong... except 5 yrs from now when your spouse doesn't like the color anymore and then insists that it was you who chose it. :lol:

vbhomeowner

#53 Post by vbhomeowner »

Okay I am back after a long delay in the window purchasing process. I got sidelined by renovating a master bath which took longer, and was more expensive, than anticipated. Long story short, ended up purchasing Sunrise Windows for $6250 (before rebate), after almost getting the Simonton 5500 (for about $750 less or $5500), seriously wanting/considering Marvin Infinity (about $2700 more or $9000) and briefly considering the new Simonton Assure (for about $ 2000 less or about $4500).
Order
10 32x62 Tip to Tip DH, White/White, 6x6 Lite (2V1H), Full Screens, Ultra Plus12 glass (LoE-366).
1 60x54 Tip to Tip Picture Window 20 Lite (4V3H), Ultra Plus 12 glass (LoE-366).
Alside Antique Parchment Wrap to match existing trim

Will report back on the install. The owner of the contracting company has an established presence locally, uses a good sub, and he just moved in around the corner from me so I think I will be fine. In any event, the full and complete warranty is the best of the four options and importantly is fully transferable to next owner.

I would like to thank the experts from this board. Without the knowledge gained from this board and the experts and from the related board, replacementwindow.com and many of the same experts, it would have been a much more difficult process.

Regards, VB Homeowner

HomeSealed

#54 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like a good choice. The Sunrise is the best performer of that bunch by a fair margin. Be sure to report back. :D

vbhomeowner

#55 Post by vbhomeowner »

Update - The 11 Sunrise Ultra Plus 12 (LoE-366) contoured grids windows and full screens were installed today and they look great. Interestingly the SHGC is actually lower on the NFRC tag than listed on the website (.19 vs .21). The windows all facing West noticeably knocked down the strong afternoon sun. The local contractor JM Froehler and his subs are doing a great job, repairing two rotten sills, and expertly installing the new windows. The owner saw one sash with a glazing bead that was slightly off and is going to order a replacement sash for it. He volunteered to do so even before I noticed it. The windows will be wrapped tomorrow with Alside g8 performance wrap to match existing trim. Once again, thanks to the professionals for guiding me through the process. Without the guidance I have no doubt could have either purchased poorer performing vinyl windows with poor aesthetics, or worse yet, overspent on windows with weaker performance and, at best, similar aesthetics. The Sunrise Windows installed by JM Froehler are an excellent value in my opinion, and I would recommend them to anyone in the Virginia Beach area seeking a high quality window with great installation.

Windows on Washington

#56 Post by Windows on Washington »

Great feedback and well done on the project.

The SHGC delta is likely the result of the inclusion of grids if your windows have them. Most of the data listed on the websites are without grids and the grids do drop the SHGC by 0.02 points.

Thanks for the follow up and post up some pictures if you can.