Classic Questions - Which Window/Company

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bnaab

Classic Questions - Which Window/Company

#1 Post by bnaab »

I live in Indiana and looking for a quality, but not break the bank window/company.

Should I buy through a window company or a home store and have the install contracted out?

I am getting the feeling that shopping for windows is like shopping for a wedding ring...everything seems very important from the start, but down the road you realize that it didn't really matter...are windows like this or should I invest more money for the window. I plan on staying the house for awhile.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Classic Questions - Which Window/Company

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Most start out, like you, thinking a window is a window. Once they start to understand the differences, they realize there's more to it. When you are considering a purchase that can be very expensive and will be in your home for many years, window and installation quality take on a whole new meaning.

There is no window sold through home stores that most here would consider a quality product with the exception of the Simonton 6500 series sold through Orange. Some of the considerations you need to understand are U factors, Solar gains, structural ratings and air leakage. If you want a short-cut, some of the brands most on here like are made by Sunrise, Okna, Softlite and Gorell. These companies have proven themselves to have superior designs, consistent quality and excellent customer service.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I totally agree with Eco's post... I'd add, that while like anything in life- you get what you pay for- there is a caveat when it comes to windows, as there are companies out there who are nothing more than marketing machines that grossly overcharge, others that sell junk for $200 installed, and then the guys in the middle who sell a good product (like those Eco listed), have a high quality installation, and care about servicing you as a customer. Look for a local window company in your area. You could start by contacting the manufacturers that are recommended and ask them for a dealer in your area.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

What are you existing windows and what do you want them to be like (i.e. looks, functionality, etc)?

+2 to HomeSealed and Ecostar's feedback.

bnaab

#5 Post by bnaab »

Thank You, very helpful.

My home was built in 69 and I have the original windows still in place. They are wood. I like the look of wood but do not want any of the maintenance.

I was looking at vinyl simply for function and less maintenance. I understand that them may expand and contract over time but am willing to take the risk.

Any thoughts on a mid range quality vinyl and approximate cost per window with install included. Was considering the Pella 350?

EcoStar Remodeling

#6 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Everything expands and contracts, even wood and metal. The question is does it affect performance? Lower grade vinyl windows do become less energy efficient, better grades, not so much. The Pella 350 is a new window for them. I wouldn't be too quick to jump on it as many windows in the past that seemed to be good, ebded up a disaster due to flawed designs or poor quality consistency. Pella, overall has a pretty lousy reputation. Particularly when it comes to vinyl windows. Only time will tell. Do you want to pay them to test their widows?
Last edited by EcoStar Remodeling on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree again with Eco. The jury is still out on the Pella 350, but it is decent at best, and will be overpriced. That in addition to Pella's poor customer service. At the very least, I'd recommend that you check out some other products for comparison.
On the expansion/contraction issue, it is not applicable to a well designed vinyl window. Its nothing more than a scare tactic used by those pushing fiberglass and composites in order to justify their higher price.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:I agree again with Eco. The jury is still out on the Pella 350, but it is decent at best, and will be overpriced. That in addition to Pella's poor customer service. At the very least, I'd recommend that you check out some other products for comparison.
On the expansion/contraction issue, it is not applicable to a well designed vinyl window. Its nothing more than a scare tactic used by those pushing fiberglass and composites in order to justify their higher price.
+1

Pocket sill window too!

Don't much care for that aspect.

While the Pella 350 is a massive improvement in Pella's vinyl offering, it is just now approaching (i.e. still not on the level) of the Okna, Soft-Lites, and Sunrise offerings.

bnaab

#9 Post by bnaab »

Thanks again for all the insight.

I have scheduled meeting with the companies that install Soft-lite, Okna, Gorell and Sunrise windows.

I'm just going to go with one of those off your guy's recommendations.

Thanks again!