Window & Door replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
randy

Re: Window & Door replacement

#16 Post by randy »

Soft-lite's price on laminated glass is extremely high - much more expensive than Simonton or Gorell. I don't believe Soft-lite has any impacted rated windows for hurricane zones either.

TLHWINDOWS

#17 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Delaware Mike wrote:The only place around my part that was offering the PGT lines was a Norandex, which closed down that particular location. I liked what I saw for the price. Since PGT has a dedicated impact window it may have a much more attractive price than what Soft-Lite would have?
Can't get Soft-Lite in Florida so I can't tell you about the price difference. Compared to Gorell thought, they are better priced, if that helps.

If you ever need impacts just let me know, I have a truck! :shock:

Bill

#18 Post by Bill »

Both Simonton & PGT laminate their own glass in house so they will have a price advantage over other manufacturers who purchase the lami glass from glass manufacturers.

TLH I’m curious about what it is you do not like about Simonton’s impact line? I have seen you post favorable remarks about the Simonton 5500 and the Storm Breaker window is basically a reinforced 5500 with laminate/tempered glass with an impact tilt latch.

TLHWINDOWS

#19 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Bill wrote:Both Simonton & PGT laminate their own glass in house so they will have a price advantage over other manufacturers who purchase the lami glass from glass manufacturers.

TLH I’m curious about what it is you do not like about Simonton’s impact line? I have seen you post favorable remarks about the Simonton 5500 and the Storm Breaker window is basically a reinforced 5500 with laminate/tempered glass with an impact tilt latch.
I like/don't mind Simonton as a whole, but when you get into impacts, they get restrictive and will use "add ons" and not tell you.

We did a job for a customer with Simonton's one time and when the windows came, they had 'L' brackets in the corners of them. They said they had to use them to get the DP up in them, but they weren't on any of their samples. They were ugly and I had to knock all kinds of money off of them because they wouldn't take them back.

Since then, I don't use them for impacts. Besides, PGT, Custom and a few others give better prices and will do things like Turtle Code and LowE in the same window were Simonton and others will not.

Bill

#20 Post by Bill »

Understood; I have not run into the L bracket you are describing but I’m sure you sell a lot more impact than we do.

Simonton is less expensive for us compared to PGT.

I have always been surprised that PGT does not offer an awning window; I would think that would a popular window style in Fla.

TLHWINDOWS

#21 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Most companies in Florida don't make awnings becuase they don't make a one lever opening for stacked awnings. Imagine a 3 level awning window that you have to crank out each one. Then imagine the price.

There is at least one company in FL that still makes the old single paned, aluminum, multi crank windows. I've only had 1 person buy them in 10 years though. Can't imagine why.......

As far as pricing, its flipped for me. I have a pretty good deal with Shwinco too.