Vinyl replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Penfl

Re: Vinyl replacement windows

#16 Post by Penfl »

Thank you for the information. I have a quote for the Simonton 5500 with the laminated glass and just today I had someone out to give me a quote on the PGT 2360 with the sound and security package. Neither salesman knew anything about the laminated glass option. They naturally knew about the impact glass windows living in Pensacola. My wife finds it strange that two different salesmen didn't know about these. She is afraid to go with the laminated glass option for that reason. Do you happen to have the specs for the PGT with laminated glass(OTIC or STC)? I know that the Simonton with the laminated glass is suppose to be 32 STC. I would like a way to compare the Simonton to the PGT for the sound qualities. I would appreciate any help that you could supply.

TLHWINDOWS

#17 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

U: .30
SHGC: .21
DP: 50
STC: 34
UL972 Security rating

You should have gotten this: http://www.pgtindustries.com/Files/Free ... 204-11.pdf

Hope this helps. I'd say click my button but I don't have one anymore.

Penfl

#18 Post by Penfl »

I know. I have tried to get to your button or name and as you know that I could not. Thank you for supplying the specs for the window.

Bill

#19 Post by Bill »

I wouldn’t be afraid to go with the laminate glass option just because the salesmen were not aware of the option. In Florida the primary use for laminate glass is hurricane protection but inland where the code does not require this protection the primary use is security, sound attenuation and UV protection.

The thickness of the interlayer on the hurricane rated laminate glass is .090” and the thickness for the non impact laminate is .060” and the windshield of your car is .030”. An impact rated window will also have additional frame reinforcement and impact tilt latches.

A standard window fitted with .060” laminate glass will not pass the hurricane impact test but it will certainly provide far superior protection in a storm compared to a glass pack with annealed glass.

If you choose the Simonton 5500 be sure that the design pressure is upgraded to DP-55 or if you want a stronger window order the Reflections High TL double hung with laminate glass. This window as long as it is not huge will have a design pressure rating of DP-65 and will be equipped with the impact tilt latch that is use on the Storm Breaker. Again this window will not pass the hurricane certification test but will provide more protection. I bet the salesman has never heard of this option either so I have copied the specifications below.

36" (T) X 60" (T) 5500 Reflections White High TL Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; 1'' IGU Thickness; Super Spacer; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Laminated All Inside; Double Strength (1/8"); Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; A9 All Rails&Stiles; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Sill Extender (UI=96"); DP:65; Test Number=95262.01; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.26; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR® region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Souther

TLHWINDOWS

#20 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

last time I priced a Simonton reflections with all the upgrades, I could buy an impact window. Maybe times have changed.

You can't go wrong with either one though.

Penfl

#21 Post by Penfl »

Just got a quote for the PGT 2360 with the sound and security package. I am waiting for a call from the salesman to confirm the price. The price difference between the impact window and the sound and security glass is only $8 difference. I cannot believe that they would ever sell the sound glass if it is only that little bit cheaper then impact. That is why I am waiting for a call. I either got a good price on the impact or a crappy price on the sound glass. I will post when I get an answer.

TLHWINDOWS

#22 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Penfl wrote:Just got a quote for the PGT 2360 with the sound and security package. I am waiting for a call from the salesman to confirm the price. The price difference between the impact window and the sound and security glass is only $8 difference. I cannot believe that they would ever sell the sound glass if it is only that little bit cheaper then impact. That is why I am waiting for a call. I either got a good price on the impact or a crappy price on the sound glass. I will post when I get an answer.
Do you know what sizes some of your windows are?

Penfl

#23 Post by Penfl »

I have the following:
1- 36X36
3- 36X60
3-72X60(2-36X60 mulled 3 sets)
1-24X48 picture window

I was quoted an impact PGT for $381 NOT installed and $373 for the PGT sound and security window NOT installed

TLHWINDOWS

#24 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

I put some sizes in and I would assume that they are mixed up somewhere.

a 36 x 60 2360 with Sound and Security would probably be around that price.

But in an impact, seems off. Way off if its for the 36x60

Penfl

#25 Post by Penfl »

Thanks for checking. I figured one or the other had to be off. I will wait for the salesman to get back with me to get this figured out. I might just go with the PGT 2360 windows and get an inside storm window for my wife's bedroom. She wakes up with the slightest noise. I understand that a storm window would actually be real good with the space between it and the window.

Penfl

#26 Post by Penfl »

THWINDOWS: I see you have a quote button on your screen. Does that mean that I can get a quote from you? I clicked on it but I am afraid that I will just get the local vendors in my area. Please let me know. Thanks

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#27 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Yes, click on his Quote button and you will asked to input your zip code. If you are in his service area then you will be put in touch with him, and only him.

Penfl

#28 Post by Penfl »

Thank you. I have done just that and I am waiting on a reply from him if he will accept it. Thanks.

TLHWINDOWS

#29 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Edit: Got it. I will be in touch.

It should work, but you may have to do it again. It should tell you that I am the one in the area.

The problem is that the service is not that reliable and I've had problems with it a lot.