Please HELP.. Need windows installation quesstion

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hsepehri@yahoo.com

Please HELP.. Need windows installation quesstion

#1 Post by hsepehri@yahoo.com »

I purchased windows from Home Depot 6 months ago.. After the installers failed to insulate my windows I complained.. So Home Depot sent out another install crew to fix the issue.. Here is my problem.. The installers arrived and started to work.. I thought they could take the capping from the outside off and insult and replace the capping from outside.. Well that’s not what they did. They took out the window plates so the frame was only left. They drilled three holes into the vinyl frame and sprayed foam into it.. Is this a correct way to fix the issue.. Please help as I am so frustrated with the entire installation job
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20120129_120307.jpg
(240.76 KiB) Downloaded 369 times

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Please HELP.. Need windows installation quesstion

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Unbelieveable!!

No, that's not the proper way to add foam insulation. I would have insisted they remove the trim coil and spray from the outside. BTW, that's a pretty amatuerish looking caulk job, too.

When you purchased the windows, did they promise you they would use spray foam? I wasn't aware that Orange had started using it on their installs. I'm also curious as to why you didn't say something while they were installing the windows instead of waiting until the job was finished?

ranger

#3 Post by ranger »

i would like to know that as well. there is no way to tell if they used foam unless you actually saw them do the install. so why would wait until they were finished to bring it up?
agree, the caulking job is a mess.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I'm curious as to why there is a head expander on the side of the window. Did they cut expanders in half then slide them in so they can close up the gap for easier caulking, are they full expanders or is there a mis-measure involved?
Can you post a couple more photos by chance?
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hsepehri@yahoo.com

#5 Post by hsepehri@yahoo.com »

We questioned the insulation when they were initially installing the windows. They contractors insisted that they would use the foam insulation. They obviously didn't!!! We have been arguing with Home Depot for months now and this is what has happened thus far. So what do you think we should do at this point. They have already drilled into 3 windows..??

More pics added:
http://s1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg572/hsepehri/

HoustonWindowExperts

#6 Post by HoustonWindowExperts »

I am so upset for you. This is the stuff that makes our industry look bad. I wish people who are in the market for buying windows would stumble on articles like this.

You get what you pay for and sometimes less!

I trust they come back out and do this right. You deserve better!

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

If it was me, I would call them and demand another contractor and I would demand they order all new windows. Hopefully, this time you will get an installer who knows how to measure windows properly so he doesn't need to use head expanders on the vertical sides.

Seriously, that's a really bad installation. I would not let this installer back in my house.

Did Orange promise to use foam insulation when you placed the order?

randy

#8 Post by randy »

Dave's right. The header expander or whatever trim they used on the sides is another red flag. The entire installation seems to be sloppy.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I would demand that you get windows that are properly measured for one. For two, as has been stated, what they have done is not "standard" by any stretch. In addition, drilling through the vinyl to add foam could very well void your warranty from the manufacturer. I would insist that you get someone from HD that has some decision-making authority to come out and look at this.
This situation is a perfect example of why we don't recommend using any company that uses cut-rate installers.

TLHWINDOWS

#10 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Ok, so I don't agree with that install in most any way. The caulking looks like they tooled it with the biggest blade possible. Drilling and foaming from the frame is a no, no. I'd actually call Simonton and complain to them about the job and Home Depot.

BillTX

#11 Post by BillTX »

I suggest you visit the HD store in your zip code area and speak with the Store Manager about your situation. The window installation business is separate from retail sales, however the store manager will do anything to protect the HD brand.

I've found that HD window installation quality is highly variable, depending upon the sub-contractor assigned to your job. A good crew will do a quality installation, but the homeowner has no control over which sub is assigned to your job.

In terms of foam insulation, your vendor requires it's subs use fiberglass insulation, not spray foam. The reasoning is: 1) foam incorrectly applied can distort the window frame, 2) foam is more expensive that fiberglass and takes longer to install. Clearly your subs were not qualified to use foam, or they would not have tried to inject the foam as they did.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

BillTX wrote: The window installation business is separate from retail sales, however the store manager will do anything to protect the HD brand.
Anything except paying their subs better which would attract more qualified installers... Just my $.02.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:
BillTX wrote: The window installation business is separate from retail sales, however the store manager will do anything to protect the HD brand.
Anything except paying their subs better which would attract more qualified installers... Just my $.02.

BillTX

#14 Post by BillTX »

Windows on Washington wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:
I agree, the big box retailers extract everything they can from subs, employees and customers. I wouldn't send a friend to them for replacement windows. But that doesn't help the poster. Push the store manager to get your issue fixed.

BTW, as I said earlier, the store manager has no responsibility over replacement windows (that's a corporate function), but he will do whatever it takes to protect the retail side of the business.

hsepehri@yahoo.com

#15 Post by hsepehri@yahoo.com »

Thanks for all your replies.....I still confused by some of the remarks given. Here is the problem..

I have a home depot rep going today at 5:00 to go over the issue. I want to explain to him the installation job has horrible. But I obviously need to know what I am talking about. A few things were pointed out:

What are head expanders? From the forum replies it looks like it was installed. Why should it not be installed?
Why is it a bad install?

Again any help would be appreciated
Thanks