Windows in North Jersey

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Windows in North Jersey

#16 Post by Window4U (IL) »

ramones wrote: Also, in one of the first posts by Windows on Washington, you said "There is a contractor/contributor on this board that is from New Jersey (Florham Park)." Does he still contribute? If so can he contact me to arrange a site visit. If not, anyone one else in North Jersey you might recommend?

Ciao
That contractor 'ranger' is not signed up for the "Discussion Board Contractor Quote" service here where you can get a quote from a specific pro here.
If Cardinal told you Okna has the glass you are looking for, you could contact Okna directly for a dealer near you.

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

Gorell does not use Cardinal nor does Okna (unless they do in special circumstances?), but both of those are great choices. I do think that Okna will most likely have a glass package closer to what you are looking for. You can probably just contact Okna directly for a referral, or even use google to find an Okna dealer in your area.

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:Gorell does not use Cardinal nor does Okna (unless they do in special circumstances?), but both of those are great choices. I do think that Okna will most likely have a glass package closer to what you are looking for. You can probably just contact Okna directly for a referral, or even use google to find an Okna dealer in your area.
+1

If you submit your information to Okna, they will pass it along to their contractors in the area.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#19 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington wrote:
+1

If you submit your information to Okna, they will pass it along to their contractors in the area.

+1

ramones

#20 Post by ramones »

Hi: Window4U, Windows on Washington, and HomeSealed

Thank you all once again. A new update.
I did speak to the Cardinal rep yesterday and he will be sending me some more information on the LoE 180 and 181 glazes. He did confirm that Okna does not use their products. Of the remaining recommended windows manufactures which use Cardinal class what do you pro's recommend for my specific needs. I am so disappointed since the LoE 180 and 181 glass is the answer to my specific need and requirements.
I have called the Okna rep three times and have only spoken to the main office and left voice mails, no actual contact with George the Okna rep for my area.
Sorry, for the delay but I needed to have the pertinent information before I could further proceed. I will keep trying to get the information and I will report back once I do.
ciao

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

Don't mistake by question for combative, but why do you think that the Low-e 180/i81 is the only glass you need.

Cardinal is a great glass company by the way, but so few homes are actually set up to full advantage of the passive solar heat gain in the Low-e 180 combo.

The home really needs to be designed with that thought process in mind prior to selecting window glass specifications.

I would also caution you to carefully examine the reduction in Condensation Resistance with the hard coat Low-e interior panes.

ramones

#22 Post by ramones »

Hi Again:
I do want and need your assistance Windows on Washington. I clearly understand your question about the LoE 180/181 glass. I did not take offense to it in any way. Let me try to explain.
My house is (50+) years old, but the front and sides are orientated towards the south /west. During the winter the trees are bare and the sun comes in after 1pm in a direct path till sundown. It can and does warm up the area a lot. I have 24 wooden single panes with storm windows (12 of which are in the front of the house) and they are in good shape but they are not energy efficient and they probably should be replaced. During the summer the tree line with leaves intact blocks out some of the direct sun after 3PM. At high noon I close the drapes and use a fan or the central air.
I just think that the homes in more northern regions should if at all possible take advantage of the passive solar heat as much as possible. I do like the feel of the warm radiant sun during the winter.
I do have a question for WoW said
Quote:
"I would also caution you to carefully examine the reduction in Condensation Resistance with the hard coat Low-e interior panes"

If possible could you go into a little more detail?

Also, any recommendations with a decent window using the Low-e 180/i81 class?

Thanks’ again for the wonderful and informative information.
Ciao

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

Windows with a hard coat low-e (i81) will have a reduction in condensation resistance as a result of the reduction in radiant heat to warm up the interior pane of glass.

With the interior pane being colder (actually a good thing but has drawbacks), you will have the potential for dew-point on the interior surface.

If you were going to take ultimate advantage of the passive solar, you would want a clear glass window with some sort of thermal shade. The trade off there being the lack of performance in controlling heat loss vs. a Low-e window.

Your best glass pack is probably the Low-e 180 triple pane unit without the i81 surface. Still gets you the good SHGC numbers while eliminating the condensation issues of the hard coat low-e.

I wouldn't worry about the West facing exposures. Southern is where you will get 95% of the free winter heat.

Your double pane (i.e. single pane wood with storm window) is netting you and SHGC of about .75 or so. Just going with a double pane Low-e (Guardian 7138 or Low-e 272) will drop that SHGC number on the glass to the mid-high .30s. While that seems like a big drop, you are also going to get a bit more glass in some cases without the storm window.

I commend your effort to maximize the SHGC and be a bit more thoughtful than most clients about this, the premium you are likely going to pay for the less popular Low-e 180 stacked unit, might be more expensive and eliminate any long term savings as a result of the more costly investment. I don't know for certain though.

I would also encourage you to look into air sealing and insulation in your efforts to warm up the home and make it more efficient. Most customers actually get more utility reductions from those efforts.

HomeSealed

#24 Post by HomeSealed »

Excellent points by WoW....

If you don't want to wait for the Okna rep to get back to you, just do a google search as I mentioned eariler. Something like Okna windows florham park should yield the result that you are looking for.
Another option would be submitting your info to this site, although I'm not sure who would get that in your area. :D

ramones

#25 Post by ramones »

Hello again:
Thanks for the quick responses Windows on Washington and HomeSealed.

New Update:
Just spoke to George from Okna windows and he confirmed they don't use the LoE 180/181 glass. He will talk to his technicians to see if they can replicate the solar heat benchmarks in the Guardian glass package they offer.
Thanks, Windows on Washington, that trade off in condensation will certainly have to be considered, it was something that I never thought of as I was myopic in in thought process. You are a true professional and I appreciate you and the others for taking the time to direct me on this journey.

I have a question for Windows on Washington.
You wrote "I would also encourage you to look into air sealing and insulation in your efforts to warm up the home and make it more efficient. Most customers actually get more utility reductions from those efforts."

My question is do you have any recommendations for a local company to do insulation. I would like to have the foam inserted in the existing walls and ceilings as well as under the floors. I have the blown in cellulous in the attic already with mixed results. It seems the walls and floors are the biggest thermal loss areas. Any recommendations?

I did a search, HomeSealed, and thanks again for your impute. Is AGM windows the former contributor to this excellent site? Also, what is the procedure to submit my particular information to this site and work with someone relatively local?
HomeSealed wrote:Excellent points by WoW....

If you don't want to wait for the Okna rep to get back to you, just do a Google search as I mentioned earlier. Something like Okna windows florham park should yield the result that you are looking for.
Another option would be submitting your info to this site, although I'm not sure who would get that in your area. :D
I have to go out now, but I will return later. Thanks to all once again.
Ciao for now

Windows on Washington

#26 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't personally know any of the insulation companies up there but I could talk to the guys at the shop that you mentioned and see who they might know.

Without seeing the home it is difficult to give concrete answers.

If you are not getting the results you desire out of cellulose, you don't have enough or nobody air sealed prior to install.

You can email me if you want to chat offline as it could take me days to type of recommendations.

TheWindowNerd

#27 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yes, AGM good guy.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#28 Post by masterext »

personally, i think you are getting caught up in all the minutia and are failing to see the forest for the tree's.
will lowE 180 allow more passive solar heat gain than a window with a shgc of .29? yes.. but at a big cost.
with lowE 180, a 35 degree day with sun will heat up a room up to 80 degrees. thats alot of solar energy and will make that room much hotter but also much more uncomfortable. during the winter a room facing south will have exposure to the sun at around a 60 degree angle or somewhere close. did you ever stand in front of a big picture window that has direct sun light and feel how hot you felt? well, thats how you will feel with lowE 180. the room will be warmer but how would that matter if the room was too uncomfortable to actually stand in .. you wouldnt use the room.
because of the emmissivity of lowE 180, you stand to lose Ufactor , meaning the heat from inside your home will escape much more than a high quality window with a more conventional form of lowE meant for north eastern climates. of course you could use shades at night but this whole thing doesnt make a whole lot of sense. further, you will get killed in the summer.. if you think your room will be hot in the winter, it will be a boiler room in the summer. i just think you are making a simple remedy much too complicated.
as for noise reduction, triple pane will help slightly. any time you are adding mass, you reduce noise.

HomeSealed

#29 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with what WoW and masterext have said regarding the use of that glass package. It is very specialized, and the only homes that will benefit from it are those that were designed with passive solar gain in mind. The direction that they face is only part of the equation. Many passive solar homes will have decks or shades above the windows so that the sun will only come in when at the appropriate angles, etc. The vast majority of homes would be better served with a more moderate shgc between .25-.35 or thereabout... Just food for thought.