plygem premium window quote ?'s

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
pmalavolti

plygem premium window quote ?'s

#1 Post by pmalavolti »

an acquaintance in the business came and told me about the plygem premiums windows. i have 4 double hung (39"tall x 48 5/8" wide)and 1 opening (39tall x 78wide) that he said he could do a dual double hung. these measurement are the opening in the concrete wall. they are going in my basement of my split foyer home. he was saying they are a great mid range window. he told me the total (off the top of his head) would be $2200-$2500 installed. still waiting on the actual quote. my ?'s are is this a good price. are these a good window. i don't plan on leaving this house so i don't mind spending more for quality. should i opt for triple pain. i'm in central il.

Windows on Washington

Re: plygem premium window quote ?'s

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where in Central IL are you located.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of the Plygem offerings but they are decent.

I do, however, think there are better units out there.

pmalavolti

#3 Post by pmalavolti »

pekin, il

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Like WoW said, Plygem is ok, but certainly nothing special. Are these windows going into a bedroom?

pmalavolti

#5 Post by pmalavolti »

1 will be in a basement bedroom window. the others will be in the basement family room.
Last edited by pmalavolti on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Just like your contractor told you, they are a good midrange choice. You could do better, you could do worse... How far south of Chicagoland are you? There is a contributor here called Windows4U that serves that area (Chicago), and sells some better options...
On the price, there are a lot of variables that will determine whether or not it is fair. What color, glass package, grids, lead safe procedures, insert or full tear out, etc, etc... My question is in the 39 x 48 holes, are those twin units as well, or just single? Personally, I'd put a horizontal slider in an opening of that shape.
If you do end up going with the Plygem, make sure to get the EP packages with sash reinforcement and foam frames, as well as the stainless spacer option. Triple pane would not be a terrible idea either, but check the upgrade cost to see if it is worth it. Plygem runs a free triple pane upgrade promo several times per year.

pmalavolti

#7 Post by pmalavolti »

i'm 3 hours south of chicago. i have not picked color yet. double pain. no grids. full tear out. just single units. i was thinking of sliders as well, but he advised that double hung are cheaper and more energy effiecient by design.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

So essentially 6 windows, full tear out for $2500? At a little over $400 an opening that is some pretty aggressive pricing. Is this a legit company, or just a guy doing a side job?
... On the DH vs SL, generally what he's said is true, it just kind of an oddly shaped opening for a double hung. 48" is definitely on the wide side, and you typically switch to a slider or twin when the opening is wider than it is tall. The actual difference in price and performance should be pretty minimal... The one thing that I will say is that at that width, you NEED the sash reinforcement if you go DH.

pmalavolti

#9 Post by pmalavolti »

i went to school with the guy. our kids play baseball together. maybe he is giving me a break. he works for a company thats been around for a long time, but it is a small company. he is not doing the install. he is the saleman. he has a guy doing the install. he is getting prices on another window that is fiberglass as apposed to vinyl. not sure if those are plygem or not.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't believe that Plygem has a fiberglass offering, post up what it is when you find out. Is he running this through the company, or just doing a side job?. I'd highly recommend keeping things on the "up and up" so that you have an install warranty and someone to call a few years down the road if you need service. Its worth the extra $$$ IMO.

pmalavolti

#11 Post by pmalavolti »

he is doing through the company

WindowInfo

#12 Post by WindowInfo »

pmalavolti, what type of window are they taking out? Since you said its in a concrete wall I suspect you have metal framed windows. $400 a window is about average in my area for replacing metal windows in block with a plygem window white/white window no grids. Every area is different when it comes to pricing.

pmalavolti

#13 Post by pmalavolti »

they are a metal window, boxed in by a wood frame.

pmalavolti

#14 Post by pmalavolti »

ok i get it get references. what about the rest of my q's. triple pain or not. are plygem worth that amount installed. are there better windows that are cheaper? thanks for the advice, i did not intend to get anything started.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#15 Post by masterext »

i would upgrade to triple pane. as far as finding a "good window cheaper"; it really does'nt work that way. anytime you invest in quality, its a larger investment. when my customers are evaluating windows , i tell them there are generally 3 things to look at.
how energy efficient the window is( low ufactor) , how is the window engineered( structural rating/ air leakage number) , and finally aesthetics.
most often when a customer tells me they are only going to be in the home for a few years ,its really just a defense mechanism just so they can spend the least amount of money possible. after educating them most realize wasting money on something cheap or " mid grade" is not a wise investment.
as far as the premium brands mentioned; sunrise, okna / himark, and soft lite. i am in full agreement.