help choosing brand

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bseries

help choosing brand

#1 Post by bseries »

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of replacing my ~30 yr old living room window with a new PVC window, and am having some trouble choosing a manufacturer. I'm from Canada, so basically all the manufacturers mentioned on this forum aren't available here... so i'm wondering if anyone has advice on what to look for in the window, or the company that can set the various options apart?

I think my first option is actually available in the US, a Ply Gem "Ambassador", from their Elite series.

My second is a vinyl window from a company called McLeod Windows. At a glance it seems to be almost the same as the Ply Gem window.

Both are Triple Pane, and in the quote it says "1 Low E", and "Argon Single".

Any suggestions on what to look for or ask to differentiate the 2 options would be great, thank you.

TheWindowNerd

Re: help choosing brand

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Canandas suggested and mandatory performance standards are different than US.
But there are standards and testing results to review.
Get the thermal and structural numbers for each and compare them.
If you would consider fiberglass, InLine fiberglass is a great window made in Toronto.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to anthony on both accounts. Inline makes a great window up there. Secondly, when comparing multiple products, the thermal and structural ratings as mentioned by anthony will tell the true story. It doesn't matter if the window is made of solid gold, the independently tested numbers will tell you how the window will actually perform, and that's what is most important. :D

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Nickthomas
Maybe you should look over the rules against spamming this site.