Decided on Okna Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Rico7684

Decided on Okna Windows

#1 Post by Rico7684 »

After extensive research I've decided to go with the Okna Insultec 500 series windows. With the knowledge gained via these boards (thanks everyone!), I had narrowed my choices to the Gorell 5100 series and the Okna 500 series windows.

In my area, Rochester, NY, I felt the triple pane window, with low-e Argon was a good choice because we have long, very cold winters with many cloudy days not conducive to good solar gain, and hot, humid summers.

I received the following quotes, which include installation:

Company #1 - 24 Gorell 5105 double hung windows, triple pane Ultra Master - low-e Argon glass and 1 casement window, same glass package & full screen = $12,771
- Also quoted was 1 fiberglass entry system with 2 Triple pane, low-e Argon sidelites and 2 Larson storm doors = $6365
Total Project = $19,136

- Company 1 has been in business over 60 years, has good references and an A+ BBB rating. They use their own installers and have a lifetime warranty on the installation.
- There was no pressure from the sales representative and he answered all my questions and concerns. He seemed reasonably knowledgeable about the products, but had to research to find out about the triple pane numbers

Company #2 - 24 Okna Insultec 500 series double hung windows, triple pane Deluxe Package - low-e Argon glass and 1 casement window same glass package = $17,000
- Company has been in business for 6 years has good references and an A+ BBB rating.
- After I heard the price, they were out of contention

Company #3 - 23 Okna Insultec 500 series double hung windows, triple pane Deluxe low-e glass and 1 casement window with same glass package & full screens = $10,461
- We are removing 1 double hung window & 1 door, which are in close proximity and installing an Okna triple pane Deluxe Package, low-e Argon glass sliding door in their place. In addition, we are installating a fiberglass entry system with 2 triple pane, low-e Argon sidelites, plus 1 Larson storm door = $5939
Total project = $16,400

Company #3 has been in business 50 years, has good references and has an A+ BBB rating. They use their own installers & have a lifetime warranty on installation.
- There was no sales pressure from the owner, whom I dealt with and he was knowledgeable about the products and installation. He also answered all of my questions and concerns and even came to my home on a Sunday.

My sincere appreciation goes out to all the members on this forum whose knowledge, information and guidance allowed me to make an informed decision. Prior to finding this website/discussion board, I knew nothing about windows, but I now feel I have sufficient information to understand and appreciate the technology utilized in vinyl replacement windows.

In the jungle that is windows, I have come out ahead of the pack!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Decided on Okna Windows

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Seems like you made a good decision.
Let us know how things are after the install is complete.

KAKS

#3 Post by KAKS »

I also researched this website and have chosen Okna windows and live in the Rochester area. We can have some brutal winters. How was your install and do u like your purchase? The owner actually quoted us for 17 DH, 500 deluxe , double pane, grids on 8, capping on 8. It came to $7000. I have a picture window, slider, front door that I told him we'll be looking at before next winter but I want to see how this project goes. Hopefully we made a good choice after our research and I can post back when the job is done for anyone in our area. Thanks!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

okna is a great window but i am a bit confused at how a company is able to offer triple pane at that low of a price, it just doesnt make sense. most companies would actually lose money at that price.
company 2 is much more in line with reality. that said, you have a great window.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Pricing is pretty aggressive, but excellent choice none the less. I'm certain that you'll be very happy with that product. Be sure to post your thoughts after the install. :D

mpd2012

#6 Post by mpd2012 »

I also recently went with Okna, but the 800 deluxe series triple here in South Jersey. 11 windows for 8.5k, but 6 of them have a circle top above the double hung and one is a very large paladiun(?) window which was 1500 alone. Havent had the install yet, but I can't wait.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

$8500 for 11 Okna 800 EnviroStar windows is a good price considering some are circle tops. you have a solid window and will be very happy with the end result.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote:$8500 for 11 Okna 800 EnviroStar windows is a good price considering some are circle tops. you have a solid window and will be very happy with the end result.
... And with triple pane to boot. Great choice.