Sunrise Windows vs Milgard

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
borgdionne

Sunrise Windows vs Milgard

#1 Post by borgdionne »

We are looking to replace 19 windows DH and 3 doorwalls with either Sunrise or Milgard. Both are comparable in price. I am getting so confused with the different types of windows. Please provide any feedback on these windows.

My other question which caused some concerned is that I read online to avoid the Sunrise Essentials. The contractor that I am working with states they will be installing the Sunrise Brand. How do I make sure that I am not getting the cheap windows?

Skydawggy

Re: Sunrise Windows vs Milgard

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

I have no idea where you read to avoid the Sunrise Essentials. The Essentials is Sunrise's window for a more budget conscious consumer. While not their top of the line window, it's a great value. IMO Sunrise is a better value than Milgard. It's not that Milgard doesn't make a decent window. it's just that they have had a little bit of a checkered past occasionally regarding quality control and shipping. If you are looking at any of the upper Sunrise lines, they are very good windows and you will be very satisfied assuming you get a good quality installation.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

As someone who has sold and installed both, Sunrise gets my nod as well.

Will91

#4 Post by Will91 »

For what it is worth, I just posted some comments about the Milgard on the Window Questions board. It is a good window, but if you value fit and finish, go with the Sunrise. It is a night and day difference. The Milgard Tuscany is one of the most "utilitarian" windows I looked at.

glitch

#5 Post by glitch »

I needed sliding patio doors for two openings and decided to go with Milgard. I was very specific about the sliding direction but they reversed one of the two patio openings. Their district sales guy came over and pulled the door off, reversed it and placed it in the frame. He told me that when talking windows, "handing" is always referred to from the outside. He implied it was my fault for describing my handing from the interior, even though the other set of doors came with proper handing. After he reversed the one door, the locking hardware was now on the exterior! When I asked him why the locking hardware would be on the exterior instead of the interior - the frame is set up for locking hardware on the opposite end, on the interior - he backtracked and agreed it was incorrect and that Milgard would correct the problem.

That was December. It is now February and despite follow up calls and promises that it was being addressed, nothing happened. Yesterday, the Milgard District Sales Manager hung up on us when he heard who was calling.

Oh, and after my original ship date was promised, they got a large order and moved my ship date back almost a month. My biggest mistake was not cancelling the order right then. Milgard has really shown their colors. I'm so mad I can't see straight.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Each manufacturer has their own way of ordering, some from inside and some from outside. Obviously there was a miscommunication with your dealer during the ordering process, so I'd say that aspect falls more on the dealer than the manufacturer (unless it was ordered properly but sent incorrectly). It is disappointing though to hear about the poor service your are receiving to get the situation rectified. Why are you not going through the dealer who sold you the doors? ...or did you buy them direct somehow?
Either way, hopefully this situation is resolved sooner than later for you.

glitch

#7 Post by glitch »

The dealer is jumping in with both feet and I'm happy to see that. I'm not sure where the mix-up occurred. If it were the dealer's error, then I would think that the frame and the door would be matched in the opposite direction from my request. But the frame seems to be configured so the lock hardware openings are positioned on the desired interior side, but the door wants to fit both opposite handed AND with locking hardware to the exterior. My installer says the frame could not be reversed (even if it could, it would put the lock on the exterior).

We think we should be able to just change out the side trim parts of the panels and make it right. The dealer's tech is working on it as we speak.

Thanks.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

That should be the solution then. :D ... I have reversed patio doors before when they were ordered wrong. Its a pain in the butt to be sure, but it can be done on most products.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Some doors are field reversible, other not.

Glad to see they are getting you squared away on it.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

did sunrise come out with a new patio door?