Window Quote Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
K_G_1

Window Quote Question

#1 Post by K_G_1 »

So I just had a quote given to me by a kind of high pressure sales person. I ended up signing a contract, but have three days to cancel if necessary. The quote is as follows for preservation windows.

2- 32x38
1- 28x48
5- 44x54

He quoted me $5600 for the eight windows, but then said that they work with local power companies to get rebates on certain work. He then said that they would air seal the attic top plate and all penetrations in a 1600 sq. ft. house for $1100, and this would then allow me to take advantage of a $2000 rebate from the power company. So, the end deal would be $4794 for the 8 r-5 preservation windows and the attic air sealing. does this seam reasonable? Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I am in Western Md. if it makes any difference.

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Window Quote Question

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

8 Triple pane for $700 each is reasonable. Add in the utility company rebate plus the attic sealing and it sounds overall like a pretty decent deal as long as the rebates are as he said.

K_G_1

#3 Post by K_G_1 »

The windows are only double panes, but they do claim to have a "Gladiator" coating on both panes that gives the performance of triple pane (U-.22). Is $700 per window still a decent deal? Seems like preservation windows don't have the best reputation around on this board, or has that changed? Thanks again. Oh, also, the house was built in 1957, and the windows are original so he said the cost was a little higher due to having to practice lead safe procedures. Will that be the case with everyone?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Last I checked, windows were not covered under the rebates but I would have to see what is out there again.

I would double check the rebate language specifically to see if that is true.

Not a fan of the windows as you specified or hard-coat Low-e coatings. If something seems to good to be true (i.e. triple pane performance out of a double pane window) it usually is.

The Hard coat low-e windows have a much lower Condensation resistance so be prepared for that window to sweat if it already does.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

$700 is not out of the realm of reason for a premium window, but I would not put the Preservation in that category. I don't really care for high pressure at any level either... I'm sure that you could do worse than this deal, but you could very likely do better as well. Like WoW mentioned, I'd check that rebate as well to make sure that you would qualify for that full amount.
If he services your area, WoW is the man to call. There is a get a quote button next to his name that filters by zip code.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1 to WOW

K_G_1

#7 Post by K_G_1 »

Thanks for your help everyone. The rebate is for real, as long as I get a blower door test done before and after, but I should be able to get that on any windows. I am going to cancel the contract and keep shopping, mostly just on principle. The more I think about it, the more upset I get about the sales tactics used.

WoW does not serve my area, anyone have recommendations for a bit farther north, in the Hagerstown, MD area? Thanks again.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

K_G_1,

Submit a request via the board operators and I will have them bill me directly for that if you want to get in touch.

You are a bit outside our normal coverage area right not but I would be happy to accommodate a web boarder.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

There it is KG! WoW will take excellent care of you. :D