I need help choosing the best window for my budget.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
windowshopper007

I need help choosing the best window for my budget.

#1 Post by windowshopper007 »

I have 1 large 3-lite slider, 2 large 2-lite sliders, 8 more 2-lite sliders, and 2 double hungs. My choices are Polaris, Relia-Bilt, Pella, Ply Gem, or Alside. I need to come in at $6,000 or less. That includes grids and low-e/argon. Here are my quotes so far...

Relia-bilt(Atrium)
- Atrium 121 series double sliding windows / 3301 series double hung windows, Ultra LowE/Argon glass w/ prairie style grills. $5193.00
- 3500 series from Atrium w/ full screens, Ultra lowE/Argon, prairie grids w/ perimeter prairie grids in the 2 small double hungs, 1 of which has obscure glass in both sashes. $5764.00

Ply Gem
- Plygem 3600 series double sliding windows and double hungs w/ energy star LowE/Argon glass w/ prairie style grills and foam filled frames. – $4998.00
I was told triple panes would be a $15 option, but I need to change models first, so that will increase the price alone. That's fine as long as I'm under $6,000.

Alside
- Window World quoted me at $5753. I'd assume that's the entry level Alside window.
- Got quoted on my own for $4,000 but I forgot to include the 2 DH windows. That was for their UltraMaxx with grids, low e/argon. That does not include installation either.

Pella
- The 20 series Pella Thermastar sliding windows w/ Advanced LowE/Argon and prairie grids would be $5893.00

I can get the Polaris windows through another dealer, but I doubt I could touch even their mid-grade window for that price?

I'm open to suggestions, including other window brands... I'm in Indianapolis Indiana btw. The home is currently a rental, but I will likely be moving into it with-in the next few years.

windowshopper007

Re: I need help choosing the best window for my budget.

#2 Post by windowshopper007 »

Don't know if this makes a difference for selection, but it's a stone home which currently has 1962 aluminum windows.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

As a contractor, i would never use any of those mentioned unless its the Polaris Ultra. Look for a sunrise, soft lite, gorell, or Okna / HiMark dealer. All high quality windows.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Plygem premium series would be better than any of the series/brands mentioned.

windowshopper007

#6 Post by windowshopper007 »

masterext wrote:As a contractor, i would never use any of those mentioned unless its the Polaris Ultra. Look for a sunrise, soft lite, gorell, or Okna / HiMark dealer. All high quality windows.
I'm in Indiana, and despite having a 1,900 sq ft all stone home on more than an acre in a good area, my home is only valued at $140,000 max. To me, it just doesn't make sense paying over $10,000 for windows. If I lived in a $300,000 home, absolutely. Hopefully one day I can afford such luxuries. I do appreciate the advice very much...but I truly have a budget at this point. I think even the Polaris would be far too expensive. I just had the Polaris 1000 with low-e/argon and grids put in another rental, and I'm very disappointed with those. They already fog where the sashes meet. Could very well be the install. Even those were $4,200 for 12 windows.
Last edited by windowshopper007 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windowshopper007

#7 Post by windowshopper007 »

Delaware Mike wrote:The Plygem premium series would be better than any of the series/brands mentioned.
That's what I've found to be true as well, but wanted to speak with all you knowledgable guys. Sounds like they are a good mid-level window which would be quality and price appropiate for my home. With triple panes and upgrades they are rated at 0.22 as well. Very sound dampening as well. I'm certainly open to suggestions, in the value category. Thanks.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

It's been over 7-years since I've dealt with Great Lakes/Plygem. I'm basing my opinion upon playing with a full size display in a supply house. It looks fine. However, the guys that work with installing a particular product day in day out have the real scoop. I think Homesealed has the most updated knowledge pertaining to Plygem?

windowshopper007

#9 Post by windowshopper007 »

How do you guys figure on what's quality and what's not? I'm sure all these windows are much better than builder grade windows? Even builder grade seems to last in homes for many years, so I'm just curious on how to judge quality?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Quality, in my mind, would be a combination of thermal, structural and aesthetics.

Ideally, I would be looking for a window that has a narrow profile (thus = more glass), great thermal numbers, and great structural numbers (DP and air infiltration).

After that, my impression of quality would be due in large part to a personal experience with the window (build quality, deliverable quality, looks, weld clean up, etc.).

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

first off, the contractor who is claiming that triple pane is only a $15 upgrade is terribly misinformed. to me, that sounds like he doesnt know what he is doing. hopefully its just an oversight on his part. a triple pane upgrade is a heck of alot more than that . throw krypton in the mix and it can get very expensive.
another thing about triple pane. you better have a solid window in order to handle the extra weight. if its a flimsy/ cheap design you will be bombarded with future issues.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Its been a couple years since I've used them with any regularity, but I'd agree with DM's assessment. Solid B level window. Many guys try to sell it for a premium level price, but if you get a smokin' deal they are not bad. I recommend the energy package with sash reinforcement, foam filled frames, and the stainless spacer... That said, I'd take any of the choices that masterext mentioned over the Plygem. Pricing varies greatly dealer to dealer, so you might find something decent in your price range. In fact, Okna, Sunrise, and Softlite all have entry level products that are better than most manufacturers "best".

windowshopper007

#13 Post by windowshopper007 »

I apreciate all the great info. You guys are very helpful. Good luck in your businesses!