I need help picking a replacement window

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
2003prm

I need help picking a replacement window

#1 Post by 2003prm »

I am looking for some help picking a replacement window:

We need to replace all the windows in our house (14 double hungs, 1 slider, and 1 fixed) due to some sill/ trim rot and window pane seal breakdown. I have received quotes from several different contractors using several different products. We are planning on staying in the home for at least the next 10 years so I want a good products that will last and improve our energy usage. We are planning on doing a vinyl replacement window, with an exterior aluminum wrap; we want a window that has a color shaded outside that will match the tan trim on our house. Here the quotes I have thus far:

Lowe's- would get a $600 in store credit
Atrium (Reliabuilt) 3201 series windows – 5789.00
Pella (Thermastar) 20 series windows – 6274.00
PlyGem 3800 series double pain- 6996.00
PlyGem 3800 series triple pain- 7398.00

Lowe's- without in-store credit
Alside Ultramaxx windows w/ climatech glass, white interior w/ beige exterior for 7853.00

Local independent contractor- friend of a friend I know that will do a great job
Alside Ultramaxx windows w/ climatech glass, white interior w/ beige exterior for 8989.00

Window world- large chain
Series 6000 (equal to the Alside Ultramaxx) 7577.00

I have looked at consumer reports (CR) a bit to do some research and I am thinking the the Pella (Thermastar) 20 are out due to low ratings. I like the alsides rating but they are most per unit on CR and one of the more expensive options I have had quoted. Anyone have a thoughts on the reliability?, they have a good rating on CR in the testing but have two very bad reviews.

I am bit overwhelming with this process. I really just want a good quality window that will last for at least 20+ years for a reasonable price. I was a bit apprehensive with Lowe's, given they are just contracting it out, but my neighbor used them and had very good luck and the product install looks great.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks- Paul

HomeSealed

Re: I need help picking a replacement window

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

You have yet to look at a high quality window. The Plygem may be the best if that is the Premium series, but I'm not familiar with the 3600 nomenclature. None of the windows on that list would be considered "tight" by any stretch, as each one has average to poor structural ratings (design pressure, air infiltration). You also want to make sure that you get a true welded, sloped sill, along with a higher end glass spacer that is non-metal (although) stainless is good...I'd expand you search. Check out HiMark, Sunrise, Okna, and Softlite for high quality vinyl. :)

2003prm

#3 Post by 2003prm »

Do you have any recommended models from HiMark, Sunrise, Okna, and Softlite?

Thanks!

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

The each offer a good/better/best product line, but honestly even their entry lines are substantially better than anything that you've seen so far. The line that would be recommended would depend entirely on your option content, budget, etc. I'd find a dealer for one or more of those options who could then give his recommendation based on your circumstances. The top choices would be the HiMark 800, Softlite Elements, Okna Envirostar, and Sunrise Restorations, although as I said, these manufacturers all have more than one product line that is top notch.

2003prm

#5 Post by 2003prm »

My lowes contact quoted me the Simonton Prism Platinum for 9200 with an additional $600 instore gift card. Thoughts?

Thxs everyone for your help

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think the thread on the sister board is pretty well summed up.

Of those brands listed, the Plygem premium would be my vote as well.

I also think you would be well served to take a look at something from Sunrise, Soft-Lite, and HiMark.

2003prm

#7 Post by 2003prm »

sorry for the double post for those that monitor the sister board:

Just had a sunrise rep out with a locally owned Mr. Window company quote me the restoration series with ultraU vss glass, contoured grids, and full screens for $9900 if I commit this week. I know the time line is a sales techique given the first price he gave me was $11564 minus angies list discount, which I do not have, ended at $10408 before he put a timeline on it.

The two finalized are:

Simmonton installed by Lowes for $8400 ( if I discount total price with the $600 gift card)

Or

Restorations installed by a local company by in house installers for $9,900

This AM i was able to talk the restorations price down to $9,500

Thoughts everyone?

thanks for your help everyone!!!

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Same advice as over there....Sunrise all the way.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:Same advice as over there....Sunrise all the way.
Yup. No brainer. :D

confusedtxn

#10 Post by confusedtxn »

I know this is not the proper place to post my question but I have floundered around the board for over half an hour and did not find a way to contact the board administrator. I did find an "email us" link but it does not do what one expects.

My question: Why are some posts undated?
It would sometimes be very helpful to know how old a post is. I have been reading how great Shuco windows are but when trying to find out more about them I came across this:
"Looking for Schuco Windows reviews? In 2008, Schuco stopped selling their vinyl windows in the United States. They still sell aluminum windows on the commercial side to builders, developers etc. but they no longer sell residential windows."

randy

#11 Post by randy »

Schuco is no longer in the residential window business, in the U.S. They did make an outstanding product at one time, but..........

Did you try calling the 1-800-870-7321 number at the top right hand corner of the site?

2003prm

#12 Post by 2003prm »

Getting install done on Monday!

A few questions for the pros on this forum:

What should I be looking for during the install. I hired pros I believe and just want to know what to watch for. I will be looking for square installs, foam installation during install, caulking, some minor rooted wood removal, sealed aluminum wrap with a slight drop for precipitation outside

I was thinking of doing a garden hose leak test before providing final payment to the contractor (i think it's 65% left)..thoughts?

This weekend I am going to replacing some ceder trim on one window and painting ceder that is not going to get wrapped. My house was built in 1992 and I was thinking about pulling the inside trim and foam straying or insulating the gap between the window frame and rough opening...thoughts on doing this? I checked this AM and all the trim is sealed and caulked really good so not sure if this is worth the trouble it would be worth so thinking of passing on this.

Any recommendations are appreciated...thanks for all your and knowledge shared this far

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Garden hose test? No. I can probably make just about any window leak with a garden hose.

If you have selected a good contractor and done a proper job of inspection and verification of his work, that should be sufficient.

Look for clean lines in the sealant, good clean up, squareness, etc.

Pulling trim only to spray foam is probably not advisable. You home leaks a tremendous amount of air and until you have really tightened it up, there are easier places to seal up that do not require de-construction to do it.

If you are already pulling trim and doing repairs, that is a perfect time to spray a bit of foam.