Foam Insulation - Foam Rod or Expanding Foam

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Learning

Foam Insulation - Foam Rod or Expanding Foam

#1 Post by Learning »

I'm looking into getting new vinyl windows. I live in the San Francisco Area. Some window companies I have spoken with say that they insulate the windows with a Foam Rod because Expanding Foam is bad for the windows and may void some of the warranties. Other vendors say that the Foam Rod is bad. Any opinions on which one is better or what the proper way method is? Thanks!

randy

#2 Post by randy »

Expanding foam is great, if they know what they're doing with it, and use the right kind of foam. We use Hilti CF 812, which has be tested in accordance with AAMA 812 standards. Basically, they must use a minimal expanding foam, or it could bow the window frames and void the warranties. There are some mimimal expanding foams sold at Lowe's and Home Depot, but as far as I know, they have not been tested for compliance with the AAMA standard.

As the the foam rod, I am assuming that they are referring to backer rod for caulking. If so, I do not know the insulation value of the product, but suspect you would be better off with loose fill fiberglass if they don't want to use the expanding foam products. Of course, backer rod is better than just caulking the window in, which many installers do.

Good luck to you.

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

The Great Stuff Pro Window and Door sealant from DOW is also ASTM and AAMA approved. It has a minimal expansion and cures soft and spongy and will not put pressure on the frames. The foam backer rod in a compressed form has virtually no R-value.

Learning

Thanks Randy and FenEx

#4 Post by Learning »

Thanks Randy and FenEx for your replies!

pvwmillie

#5 Post by pvwmillie »

Hi Learning, I'm on the peninsula. I'm curious to know whether you live in a house or condo, what brands of windows you're considering installing, and if you've found someone who you think is a good installer. PVWMillie

Learning

pvwmillie

#6 Post by Learning »

Hello Pvwmillie,

I live in a stucco house and want to do retrofit installation because I've heard horror stories about having to redo the stucco outside of houses after a new construction install. The vendors I've spoken to all seem to think retrofit is ok (I currently have aluminum windows). I considered Milgard, Anlin, Polybau, and Simonton windows. I think all of those are good quality windows. I got quotes from a number of vendors and I think I'm going to go with Milgard Classic series windows for my house. I like the windows and the two vendors that I like carry this brand as their main brand. I liked the Anlin, Simonton, and Polybau windows as well, but I wasn't really comfortable with the vendors I spoke with that carried these windows. Hope this helps!

pvwmillie

#7 Post by pvwmillie »

Hmmm.... I think stucco vs. wood exterior makes a big difference here. Interestingly, most of the folks (dealers and installers) I have spoken with say that a nail-on installation is better. But, then again, I do have wood siding rather than stucco.