Simonton 9800 vs. soft-lite Pro and LS

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jayhawk

Simonton 9800 vs. soft-lite Pro and LS

#1 Post by jayhawk »

Buying 17 double hung and 4 casement. Like the soft-lite Imperial LS but pricey; is the value worth it? Can I get much of the soft-lite value with Pro? Customers seem to like 9800 just fine; how does it stack up to the others in value for the cost? All are doouble pane, double strength, argon, grids, superspacer with full screens. All quotes from reputable Kansas City companies via Angies and in-person meetings.

$10,625 9800 low E 366, fiberglass mesh screens
$11,285 soft-lite Pro with solarban low E, think aluminum screens
$13,252 soft-lite LS with solarban low E, aluminum screens

Realize OKNA, Sunrise and Gorell are all highly rated like Soft-Lite. Not sure want to open up more options and anticipating they will cost equal or more than Imperial LS. Thanks in advance for any advice from the pros.

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton 9800 vs. soft-lite Pro and LS

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

All pretty solid windows.

The Pro will give you more light and is tighter than the Simonton in this case.

In that comparison, I still prefer the LS but if you don't want to pay the premium, I prefer the Pro over the 9800.

All of them are priced very fairly.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:All pretty solid windows.

The Pro will give you more light and is tighter than the Simonton in this case.

In that comparison, I still prefer the LS but if you don't want to pay the premium, I prefer the Pro over the 9800.

All of them are priced very fairly.
My thoughts exactly...
I do think that the LS is better built and it is a newer design, but the Pro is pretty solid. Personally, I'd probably spend the extra money on the LS.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I put the LS in my sons house.

jayhawk

#5 Post by jayhawk »

WoW, HomeSealed and anthony - really appreciate the feedback. That's three votes for the LS so far. Would you please expand upon the "why" of paying the 17% premium or approx. 2k more.

The potential installer for the Pro Series is new to that line. He explored it based on my Soft-Lite commentary. He has strong reputation, uses minimally expanded foam etc., but has not installed this type of window. He's essentially telling me that a good installer can install virtually any window. He seems credible. Do you agree with the portability of the install skill?

May be too specific - but do you know anyone else that can sell/install Pro Series in Kansas City?

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'd agree with your installer's statement if he has the credentials and experience. The LS is a tighter window than the Pro/Classic series. The manufacturing tolerances are tighter and it features more weatherstripping. There is 3-point weatherstripping on the sashes of the LS as they contact the jambs on the LS as opposed to 2-point.

The LS is built on a completely different assembly line than Soft-Lite's other offerings except for the Elements which is essentially an LS optioned out with some special features exclusive for the Elements. The Pro is a nice window, but I usually only install them for openings in which the homeowner is very concerned about minimizing glass loss, or is on a very strict budget.

The welds are a little cleaner on the LS, no big deal for most folks. The DP rating on better on LS, but that shouldn't make a difference under normal circumstances. The LS will have a stronger and more robust sash design which keeps them more true as the sizing of the window increases.

Did you go onto Soft-Lite's website and download the brochure for both series? Soft-Lite's brochures are pretty good in that they list all the technical information performance wise. They have more info than most manufacturers.

jayhawk

#7 Post by jayhawk »

Thanks DelewareMike. Yes, have compared both brochures. For a novice though, it's hard to discern the real impact of, for example, a Certa Force Balance System versus Endura Force Balance System. Soft-lite is a good marketing firm (and window maker) and comes up with new trademark names for each feature - like all of them.

Comparison made harder since Pro guy is new to Pro Series and not able to differentiate credibly yet. Going to talk to LS salesman about Pro Series but expect his bias to LS where he has exclusive will be strong. That's where the great service you guys provide is so valuable.

KC has cold winters and hot summers. My house is a two-story 2400 sq ft. Let's say the LS saves $10/month in energy average over the year vs. the Pro Series. It will take about 200 months or 17 years to return on the increased cost. We're age 61; not likely to be in this house 17 years. I'm guessing the Pro Series will save big on energy. And that the LS, even though it's a better window, will only have modest improvement in energy savings. Comments encouraged.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

You won't save $10 per mo between the two... Savings will be minimal and probably never pay for itself. The difference imo, is more in the quality and design. I'd say it is the difference between Toyota and Lexus, but more appropriately, it is probably like 2005 Toyota vs a 2011 Lexus.
The LS will just be that much less likely to have an issues, air leakage, condensation, etc. It is really your choice as to whether or not to spend the extra $ as the Pro is better than 80% of the other windows out there, but as I said, I'd go with the LS if it were my home. My recommendation is to pick the best window that you can that your budget will allow.

EcoStar Remodeling

#9 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I'd buy the Simonton and put the $2600 difference towards making other energy upgrades to your home such as additional insulation in your attic and air leak sealing.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would spend the extra $640 and probably go with the Imperial Pro.

More glass (i.e. thinner profile), better air infiltration numbers, better glass package for KC weather (4:1 HDD to CDD), and overall better performance.

+1 and taking the additional dollars and weatherizing the home.

jayhawk

#11 Post by jayhawk »

Talked to Soft-Lite dealer sales rep today. They will not sell Pro Series. Only sell their exclusives: Imperial, Bainbridge and Barrington. Told me Pro Series is below Barrington. Sounds like baloney (thanks to input from you fine folks). He lowered LS price some and quoted Bainbridge.

Pro Series shown on Soft-Lite web site above Barrington and just below Imperial; would seem to have significance. Compared the top feature list for both from web site: 7 of 9 were equal, one had different wording but comparable, and one was gee whiz. Pro Series seems to have slightly better energy performance ratings.

Can't see spending $990 for Bainbridge than the Pro pricing when both seem to be good installers.

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Pro series is above the Bainbridge which is above the Barrington, period. The Barrington is Soft-Lite's lowest offering. We don't carry the Pro, but can option out the Classic (stripped Pro) to easily make it a Pro. Once optioned out it winds up costing me virtually the same as my Imperial LS, thus I would never have a need to sell the Pro. The Bainbridge is a decent window and features a different profile to the exterior screen track, it's rounded on the jambs and header. The DP rating on the Pro and Classic is higher than that of Barrington and Bainbridge.

Many times a manufacturer like Soft-Lite will tweak the options on a particular line to give a dealer their personal favorite options value priced together.

It sounds like you have a real good handle on what product is going to be the "best value" for your money at this point. We realize that with all these different series it can be confusing, but these manufacturers try pretty hard to accommodate dealers of all different sizes. From the general contractor that buys enough windows to bypass the supply houses, to the full fledged exterior dealer that orders hundreds of windows per week.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

I would get prices on the Okna and Gorell as well if you got the time.

clamwc

#14 Post by clamwc »

jayhawk - Just wondering if you ended up going with the Pro and, if so, are you happy so far? The Pro is the window I want to put in my house but the only local Softlite dealer to KC doesn't sell the Pro. Any info you can provide would me much appreciated. Thanks

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#15 Post by masterext »

if he offers the classic, you can add upgrades to essentially make it a Pro. i would also look at the imperial LS if he offers it.