Help Replacement windows Cleveland stanek

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Pschnei3

Help Replacement windows Cleveland stanek

#1 Post by Pschnei3 »

Im currently replacing a bay window(115x60), patio door(108x80), case window(28x62), 2 db hung (36x53). I just had stanek windows for a in home visit and they quoted me for their system5 heat mirror window. The price quoted was $7960. Is this a good deal or should I look at other brands?

HomeSealed

Re: Help Replacement windows Cleveland stanek

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Just fyi, this is the "sister board" of the other one, so all of the contributors are the same. :D

Pschnei3

#3 Post by Pschnei3 »

Sorry did not know.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

No worries :wink: ... Just to reiterate what was said over there, price sounds reasonable and the Stanek window is solid for the most part, but the pocket sill is undesirable. I'd wait and see where that Softlite quote comes in because the LS or Elements would offer a superior option IMO.

Pschnei3

#5 Post by Pschnei3 »

Thanks. I'm trying to find a okna dealer. Would you go with okna 500 over soft lite?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

It depends on which Softlite model. I'd say that the 500 is equivalent to the Imperial LS, and the 800 to the Elements. After that it is just personal preference as to which one you like better. :)

MrRogersWindows

#7 Post by MrRogersWindows »

First of all, heat mirror as a product has come and gone over the years. It has not withstood the test of longevity. The heat mirror window is like a triple pane, but instead of the third pane of glass, a piece of laminate is suspended in that space with a reflective coating on it, either tin oxide or silver oxide. Especially in contrast to newer technologies, like low emissivity glass (Low-E) with its reflective coating applied directly on the glass. So heat mirror technology is “old school”.

So I would look at the contract and the fine print. Make sure model numbers are specified, make sure the manufacturer is specified, and find out what is included.

Questions to ask, for example, include: Is there a roof included on the bay window?
Are there any knee braces around the bottom of the bay window? Is there a skirt going around the bay? Are there cable support systems going into the bay to prevent sagging over the years?

And here’s a really important question— is the bottom of the bay insulated? A good dealer will make sure that the bottom of that bay window has a good inch and a half layer of insulation, with some maintenance-free material over the insulation, which will prevent that air from seeping up in through that seat. That maintenance-free material also prevents the insulation from rotting. It’s called an Insulated Seat Board. Does it include that?

Also, what’s the reputation of the company? How long have they been in business? Find out. Ask if you can get references from them. See if you can talk to some of their customers. Go back as far as ten years even. Were they satisfied?

It’s great to get a good price, and it’s great to feel confident about what you are getting. So, make sure that you are getting the quality, the product, the performance, and the warranty you deserve. Ask questions and if you are not happy with the answers, continue to shop around. You owe it to yourself.

buddy110

#8 Post by buddy110 »

I sold HM for many years. I have not had one seal failure. I love the technology, it not only insulates very well, it deadens sound better than low e windows. It's only downside is cost. IMO it's ever bit as good as any low e glass out there.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Buddy.
do you still carry a HM line?
What the the typical cost difference?
How do you insure that is is fabricated correctly with acceptable seal failure and warranty?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Anthony,

Polaris offer the Heat Mirror option. I have not used it previously but list on it was about $100 per window if I recall correctly.

I have seen quite a few Heat Mirror windows in place and I have seen about the same incidence of seal failure that I have seen in standard sealed IGU.

buddy110

#11 Post by buddy110 »

anthony wrote:Buddy.
How do you insure that is is fabricated correctly with acceptable seal failure and warranty?
No. The last window I had with HM was the Q2. As bad as that window was in almost every aspect, the HM held up remarkably well.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

buddy110 wrote:
anthony wrote:Buddy.
No. The last window I had with HM was the Q2. As bad as that window was in almost every aspect, the HM held up remarkably well.
I used it (Q2 with HM) for a high end condo building 6-7 years ago. I needed a bronze aluminum exterior and a soft white vinyl interior.
The the owner of Republic bought Traco residential and went bankrupt shortly thereafter. So much for the Q2.

I finished the rest of the building with the Starmark composite window. Sweet window.