Simonton Asure vs. 5500 vs Atrium 123 Slider Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kg15

Simonton Asure vs. 5500 vs Atrium 123 Slider Windows

#1 Post by kg15 »

Need to replace my 30 year old horizontal sliders, 72X60, in Maryland/DC area. Considering Simonton's new Asure line, but have yet to see a sample window. Anyone have thoughts on the new Asure line? I am also considering the 5500 and Atrium's 123 sliders. Quotes for the Atrium and Asure are about the same, but 5500 is more, although still within the budget. I want to maximize the amount of light, with an energy star window. Will likely be in the house for 5 - 10 years.

On the Simonton, is it worth upgrading to the supercept spacer?
Is the 5500 really that much better than the Asure?
Should I even consider the Atrium or are both of the Simonton lines better?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

HomeSealed

Re: Simonton Asure vs. 5500 vs Atrium 123 Slider Windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

I only have one recommendation for your area, and that is to speak to Windows on Washington. Find him here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5395
Even his entry level product will blow both of those away, and he is a great guy to work with. Extremely knowledgeable and ethical.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

i agree 100% , contact "windows on washington". great guy and a true professional in every sense of the word.

Ken_5

#4 Post by Ken_5 »

MED wrote:Regarding Asure, in a "better/best" scenario, Asure is Simonton's "better" product. It replaced the Simonton 5050 and 5300 series. It offers a wider viewing area (17% more viewing area over Reflections) to let in more natural daylight, but offers less options than the Simonton 5500.
17% more viewing area? That is huge!!! I know the 5500 was a better window than the 5050 and 5300 series. Besides having less options is in line with the standard 5500? Money is a factor unfortunately. More on windows means less for front door, kids college, etc...

Is the Asure cheaper than the 5500?

Thanks!

Ken

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ken_5 wrote:
MED wrote:Regarding Asure, in a "better/best" scenario, Asure is Simonton's "better" product. It replaced the Simonton 5050 and 5300 series. It offers a wider viewing area (17% more viewing area over Reflections) to let in more natural daylight, but offers less options than the Simonton 5500.
17% more viewing area? That is huge!!! I know the 5500 was a better window than the 5050 and 5300 series. Besides having less options is in line with the standard 5500? Money is a factor unfortunately. More on windows means less for front door, kids college, etc...

Thanks!

Ken
17% is more but that number is somewhat shewn. There is no NFRC data that I can yet see on the Asure but the VT numbers will tell the story.

The 5500 has a pretty significant frame profile and that is one of the slights against that window (the amount of frame and its encroachment on the glass). There are quite a few windows out there already that have much more glass than the 5500 already. The Simonton engineers were overdue in getting this slimmer profile out.

The 5500 will still likely be the better window and the Asure should be at a slightly lesser price point.

MED

#6 Post by MED »

Ken_5 wrote:

Thanks!

Ken

Ken--Every Simonton Asure window unit is shipped with an NFRC label that provides details about the thermal and structural performance of that particular window. The Reflections 5500 is still Simonton's premium window and an excellent value. Asure is generally sold at a lesser price point, but still manufactured to AAMA Gold label standards.

I completely understand about the spreading out the cash and wish you luck! :D Premium vinyl window replacement is still in the top ten projects with the best return on investment in Remodeling Magazine's latest Cost vs Value Report.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would rank the 5500 as a second choice.
The 5500 was my primary recomendation for over five years.
Through some circumstances I sarted looking for better top perfoming windows, windows with higher thermal and structural test results.
My customers and my self have been very impressed with Soft-lite, HiMark and Sunrise.
The funny thing is I can buy a premium performing window for the same cost as I can the 5500.
thewindownerd.

TommyJ

#8 Post by TommyJ »

MED wrote: Ken--Every Simonton Asure window unit is shipped with an NFRC label that provides details about the thermal and structural performance of that particular window. The Reflections 5500 is still Simonton's premium window and an excellent value. Asure is generally sold at a lesser price point, but still manufactured to AAMA Gold label standards.

I completely understand about the spreading out the cash and wish you luck! :D Premium vinyl window replacement is still in the top ten projects with the best return on investment in Remodeling Magazine's latest Cost vs Value Report.
Can you tell me what the NFRC certification number is? There are so many Simonton windows and the numbers are tough to tell which window is which.

The Asure appears to have a thinner frame but it will not give you 0.17 more on the VT scale but will probably give you close to 17% more VT than the comparable Simonton 5500. That is a more reasonable assessment and total feasible.

The 5500 has a huge frame and there are several windows out there already with at least that much more light buy comparison.