Simonton 5500 w/ nailing & J channel =true new construction?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Ken_5

Simonton 5500 w/ nailing & J channel =true new construction?

#1 Post by Ken_5 »

Hello Everyone! This is my first post, but I have been reading this forum for the last week or so. Great site, very informative!!

I am having my house done; new roof, siding and windows. Since the siding is being done and we will be down to the sheathing I asked to have new construction windows rather than replacement. I am assuming this is a good thing, no? I am going to finish the inside off to save some money.

I am thinking of using the Simonton 5500 with the nailing and J channel option, as I have read here that this was a better combo than the Brickmould 600. Question is this. Is the 5500 with added option nail and j channel attached going to install the same as the brickmould 600 when it comes to the jam coming out to match the sheetrock. Since the 5500 is a replacement window it is designed to sit flat against the current sill and moldings, so I am assuming I am going to have to make jam extensions to come out to the sheetrock. Does the 600 jam extend past the sash to match the sheetrock. Currently my existing windows jam extends past the sashes, current jam depth 4 5/8, and it is perfectly flush with the sheetrock.

The way I see it the most interior work is going to be extending the jam on the 5500 and if using a true new construction window is going to come out to match the 4 5/8 depth it might be the better way to go.

Also, do new construction windows come with a sill and moldings? I would assume no, but someone told me they do.

Thanks for any help!

Ken

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton 5500 w/ nailing & J channel =true new construction?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ken_5 wrote:Hello Everyone! This is my first post, but I have been reading this forum for the last week or so. Great site, very informative!!

I am having my house done; new roof, siding and windows. Since the siding is being done and we will be down to the sheathing I asked to have new construction windows rather than replacement. I am assuming this is a good thing, no? I am going to finish the inside off to save some money.

Going new construction is the way to go if you are already doing a siding project. Make sure you properly detail the flashing and water management for a lifetime and trouble free opening.

I am thinking of using the Simonton 5500 with the nailing and J channel option, as I have read here that this was a better combo than the Brickmould 600. Question is this. Is the 5500 with added option nail and j channel attached going to install the same as the brickmould 600 when it comes to the jam coming out to match the sheetrock. Since the 5500 is a replacement window it is designed to sit flat against the current sill and moldings, so I am assuming I am going to have to make jam extensions to come out to the sheetrock. Does the 600 jam extend past the sash to match the sheetrock. Currently my existing windows jam extends past the sashes, current jam depth 4 5/8, and it is perfectly flush with the sheetrock.

You should be able to order the 5500 with a 4 9/16 jamb extension pre-attached to limit the amount of work you will need to do to finish out the opening. Make sure you spray foam around that opening prior to closing up the opening.

The way I see it the most interior work is going to be extending the jam on the 5500 and if using a true new construction window is going to come out to match the 4 5/8 depth it might be the better way to go.

Also, do new construction windows come with a sill and moldings? I would assume no, but someone told me they do.

No, but you can order PVC equivalents from places like QuikTrim. The PVC equivalents will be more expensive than regular lumber prices but will not require the carpentry skills to set them up. I prefer the regular wood and the work is not that hard.

Thanks for any help!

Good luck. Look up all the flashing details so you get everything in there right and one. Look up Tyvek FlexWrap and their system as it is probably the most user friendly and complete at that DIY level.

Ken
See above.

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

The extension jamb add on is not available on the 5500 series with the integral nail fin. You can easily make your own so I wouldn't worry about it.

Many of my clients who buy ProFinish new construction windows where it is available do not order the applied extension jamb and do it themselves with pine or Sheetrock returns.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Bill wrote:The extension jamb add on is not available on the 5500 series with the integral nail fin. You can easily make your own so I wouldn't worry about it.

Many of my clients who buy ProFinish new construction windows where it is available do not order the applied extension jamb and do it themselves with pine or Sheetrock returns.
Thanks for the clarification.

Bill is the man when it comes to knowing Simonton backwards and forwards.

Ken_5

#5 Post by Ken_5 »

Thanks you Windows on Washington and Bill!!!!!

What is the best way to extend the jam with wood? I am assuming that it would not be wise to attach the jams before installing the windows as it probably is not strong to nail into a vinyl window frame. I want to also attach a sill. Is it best to nail the jam to the rough opening through shims?

I watched the contractor measure the windows when he was here on Friday. I removed the moldings and sills from the windows before he came. He looked to see the space between the window and the rough opening for sufficent space and then he measured the window and not the rough opening. I always thought that one should measure the rough opening. I am hoping that he somehow communicates to Simonton to make the windows to his exact measurements and not to deduct another space. Is it common for contractors to measure the existing windows rather than the openings?

Finally, what is the minimum window width that would need the meeting rail reinforcement?

Edit...

Just read on another thread that someone liked the 9800's appearance better than the 5500, and they thought it was built better, all for just $6.00 more a window. Is the 9800 a better and/or a nicer looking window? Is it really about 6.00 more a window? Do they offer the option to attach the nailing and j channel on the 9800?

Thanks again!

Ken

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

The 9800 is not available with the intergral fin option.

Ken_5

#7 Post by Ken_5 »

Thanks Bill and WOW!!!! You guys are extremely helpful and your time and knowledge is appreciated.

Ken_5

#8 Post by Ken_5 »

Does anyone know how about much extra the integral nailing fin with J channel should add to the Simonton 5500 window? Are we talking just a few bucks per window?

The contractor that I am using said that he will be adding brickmoulding to the windows as he thinks it looks better. Does this mean that he would have to also add the option to remove the J molding? Does this add to the cost too? I think I recall someone saying that removing the j molding does not look good, true?

Finally... what about the cost of the meeting rail reinforcements and at what width do you recommend I add them?

I am replacing 19 windows with my siding and the above options are all being added as new options after the proposal.

Thanks all!

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Off the top of my head, I can't say.

Wait for Bill to post up. I think he sleeps with the price book near his bedside.... :lol:

Bill

#10 Post by Bill »

The Fin will add about $12.00

Ken_5

#11 Post by Ken_5 »

Thanks Bill! Very much appreciated!

Ken