Advice on Replacement Windows in Hampton Roads

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
quin4and8

Advice on Replacement Windows in Hampton Roads

#1 Post by quin4and8 »

I have 2 quotes for installed Simonton windows. One is for the Simonton Platinum Series through a remodeling company, it includes the following and is for $11,531. It does not include replacing any bad wood.
3 72x64 double hung
11 72x32 double hung
1 45x65 twin double hung
2 12x48 transom
1 45x48 picture
1 48x24 1/2 round picture

The other is from Home Depot for the Simonton 5500 series. This one does not include the transom, picture, or 1/2 round picture. It does include replacing bad wood and is for $11,572. It seems like Home Depot has a better warranty because they will come out and fix anything. I don't know if I'll get that from the remodeling company.

I am going to recieve a quote for Viwinco windows but I don't know how they would be compared to the Simonton. The Simonton seemed pretty good. We were going to go with the remodeling company, but my husband is concerned that we have 6 or 7 sills that will need to be replaced, which will make their seemingly good price even higher. I'm kind of burned out on looking at reviews and researching. Can anyone out there give me some advice.

Windows on Washington

Re: Advice on Replacement Windows in Hampton Roads

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are probably going to be better off with the local company as compared to Big Orange.

It has been a pretty consistent theme of the posters that have dealt with Big Orange/Blue that they felt somewhat like an afterthought. I think the smaller vendors pay you a bit more attention.

The two windows are virtually identical but the Platinum comes standard with double strength glass as compared to it being and upgrade on the 5500.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Here is a link to a very recent thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5359
I'd agree with WoW's points. On the bad sills, have you asked the remodeling company how much they would charge for that? Typically it is pretty reasonable (many companies don't even charge extra), so I don't think that it will drastically change the comparison. As long as the remodeling company is established and has a good reputation, that would be the way that I recommend going. Simonton is a solid window.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

simonton os a pretty solid mid grade window. viwinco is a low quality window and i would not consider that.

quin4and8

#5 Post by quin4and8 »

Thank you all so much for your input! It will definitely help us figure out what to do. And thanks so much for sharing that thread with me. I forgot to mention we had another quote for $8800 for Wincore windows, the 54 or 5500s. The price sounds good, but the Simonton seems to be the better product. I think that's what we'll go with. I will definitely ask what the cost would be for the sills and try to figure out if I want to go with this particular remodeler. Thanks again!!!

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

please come back and let us know how things go.