Comparing replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mjs4359

Comparing replacement windows

#1 Post by mjs4359 »

I,m new to this Board and would like to get some of your opinoins on these types of replacement windows. Simonton 5500, Pella 350 Series, Soft-lite Imperial LS, and Thermal Indst. Euroweld DH 530.

Windows on Washington

Re: Comparing replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Simonton 5500 - average performing window with a solid company behind it. Very bulky extrusions and a bunch of frame to look at. It will narrow the opening.

Pella 350 - far and away a step in the right direction for a company that has long made some of the crappiest vinyl in the market. Much better performer than previous models but uses a pocket sill which is a definite drawback in my opinion.

Soft-Lite Imperial LS - probably the best window of this bunch. Can be a bit on the thick side when it comes to frame dimensions and has a boxy exterior but the performance numbers are great.

Thermal Industries - don't know that window that well but I know several of the posters do. It is not in the same class as the Soft-Lite and is probably more akin to the 5500 in terms of performance. I would defer to their opinions on the matter.

If you are looking at nice brands, you might want to throw Sunrise and HiMark in that collection for a comparative as well.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 on all accounts. I'd add that the TI unit is a pretty outdated design, average performance at best, and uses a pocket sill. I'd actually put the Simonton ahead of it. Pella, in addition to the pocket sill, is the exact opposite of Simonton as they are widely known for having some of the worst customer service in the industry. The Softlite model is definitely the class of the bunch, with the Simonton perhaps deserving of consideration.

mjs4359

#4 Post by mjs4359 »

Thanks for the info, Guys. I am looking for a good peforming window, but I do not want the bulky, less glass, look. I like the Soft-lite over the Simonton too but the price was a bit higher. Oddly enough the Pellas were quoted from Lowes and were the most expensive of the 4. I am installing these windows myself, (13 DH windows), and would like to know what makes the higher end windows harder to install?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where are you/home located?

mjs4359

#6 Post by mjs4359 »

In the NW Chicago suburbs.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Happy Easter.

FYI, only one guy to recommend in Chicago...Window4U.

Dave has all the best products and the best workmanship. You can click on his name listed in the thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5407

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

There is nothing that is inherently more difficult about installing the higher end windows, save for the extremely thin frame options like Sunrise. They can be less rigid so proper shimming and making sure that the window is square becomes even more important.
I would definitely contact Dave (W4U) whether you are looking to get them installed, or just to purchase and DIY. He offers the top 3 vinyl windows available.

mjs4359

#9 Post by mjs4359 »

Thanks WOW, I did contact Dave. Did any of you Guys have any info on Simonton Assure DH windows?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

mjs4359 wrote:Thanks WOW, I did contact Dave. Did any of you Guys have any info on Simonton Assure DH windows?
My understanding is that it is a new design aimed at combating the glass loss in the upper Siminton lines. I think it is based loosely on the 5050 design.

I have not seen any thermal or structural data on it yet but I do not normally recommend the 5050 except in the cases of rental or property flips. It is a decent little window but from Simtonon, I prefer the upper lines.

The nice thing about the windows that Dave will show you is that they have the same or more glass than the Asure, with much better numbers out of them.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

It's replacing the 5050 and it's still a budget minded window. It's target market is still what I would consider for rentals and flips.

88skisupreme

#12 Post by 88skisupreme »

are the Simonton ProFinish Contractors comparable to the 5050's?