Windows Installed Correctly

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Windows on Washington

Re: Windows Installed Correctly

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

anthony wrote:I am not sure that it is poor installation. Though the openings were left that way for the week end, at minimum as a temporary thing fiberglass batt could have filled the voids.
Again not knowing all the details. It looks like a less than perfect measuring job.
thewindownerd.
I am lumping in the collection of proper measurements as part of the "installation" process.

freetempe

#17 Post by freetempe »

Here are a few more pictures of the outside. As I mentioned previously, there was some damage that needs repaired in the kitchen and bathroom and I was not expecting perfect placement of the windows and that I was going to have to do repairs. The the holes are massive. If you look through the photo of the kitchen window you can see another window in the background with a large gap as well. I also have attached some other photos that show what I think is excessive gaps.
Attachments
frontbedroom1.jpg
(45.74 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
livingroomoutside1.jpg
(54.47 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
kitchenoutside1.jpg
(36.81 KiB) Downloaded 241 times

freetempe

#18 Post by freetempe »

Here is the bathroom photo from the outside
Attachments
bathroomoutside1.jpg
(41.54 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

ellwood

#19 Post by ellwood »

Is the "installer" finished with his part of the work? Did your contract specify that you would complete the finish work? Were these custom sized windows? It could be that stock size windows that were as close to the opening sizes were used. I do like that shims were used on the corners and in the center to support the windows. That does show some level of experience and knowledge.

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

The bathroom and the kitchen concern me... As we've said in every post, it is nothing better than speculation as to how/why there is such a gap, but those very large voids need to be filled with something solid.
I have to say, it does seem somewhat strange that some of the windows appear to be properly measured while others have gross deficiencies.

TheWindowNerd

#21 Post by TheWindowNerd »

To get an objective eval, I think you need to hire a pro to dissect all the sides and issues.
I hope you have some before pictures.

toddinmn

#22 Post by toddinmn »

When is the cement crew coming?

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

Without know the project scope and what was proposed, I am baffled.

Most of these openings seems like a great time for a masonry blade and enlargement of the opening so that it is perfectly level and square.

freetempe

#24 Post by freetempe »

Update, they brought in a mason to place some sill blocks in the windows with the very large gaps.

They mortared the gaps in the other windows on both sides (inside and out). The house is plaster on the inside walls so almost no difference.

Not the best install but it will work. They should have knocked out all of the old mortar down the block, then measured the opening for the window.